Cleveland Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigourneya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I am going home to Cleveland in August for a triathalon but would also like to dive Lake Erie. Does anyone have suggestions for a good dive shop near Cleveland. Also, I am now a Floridian and am used to warm waters, I know Lake Erie can still be a bit chilly (for my taste) in August, a 3mm wetsuit should be ok, right? Any suggestions on where to dive would be great! Thanks!

We went out with Discovery Dive Charters a couple years ago and loved them. They told us late summer/early fall was the best time to dive Erie, we went in May and the vis was horrible--they warned us it would be but we decided to book the trip anyway.

You're probably not going to be happy in a 3mm if you're used to Florida temperatures. I would recommend a 5mm with a hood as a minimum. You could probably get away with the 3mm on the beginner level dives but they aren't quite as interesting as the intermediate/advanced dives. You WILL want a thick wetsuit going deeper than about 30 feet.
Ber :lilbunny:

If it is an off time for the charter and you need divers to fill it there are many in the area that may help you get more divers. I would definantly be interested. I have lived here three years and have not been on Lake Erie yet.

In mid Aug. your looking at water temps in the low 70's down to about 30-40 feet. After that you will hit the first thermal, which will drop you down into the low 60' maybe high 50's. Then you will hit another thermal anywhere from 70-80 feet that will drop down into the low 40's to high 30's

Most wrecks in the lake above 50-60 feet get trashed by waves and ice. The better wrecks are down into the 100 foot range. You will need at least a 2 piece 7mm suit with hood and gloves.

As for vis, most of the time its not more than 30 feet in the shallow waters. When you drop below the cold thermal it opens up, I have seen as high as 150 feet and as low as 10 feet. You need to prepare your self, many people that are used to warm clear water have issues. You will not be able to see the surface and its very important not to loose the moring line.

This is all if the lake does not flip. If we get a strong storm system the winds will roll the lake and surface temps can drop back down into the 60's for a few days.

Let me know when you plan to be in town and I'm sure we can fill up a charter and go diving

I better clarify, by bad visibility that weekend in May I mean we were excited when it opened up to 13 feet in one spot on one of the wrecks. I had new advanced divers who decided to use a 4 foot buddy line and that was long enough they couldn't see each other most of the time. That's the bad visibility time of year. August is better like fppf mentioned above, 30 feet of visibility in Ohio is exciting, anything more is a bonus.
Ber :lilbunny:

Hi,
I am going home to Cleveland in August for a triathalon but would also like to dive Lake Erie. Does anyone have suggestions for a good dive shop near Cleveland. Also, I am now a Floridian and am used to warm waters, I know Lake Erie can still be a bit chilly (for my taste) in August, a 3mm wetsuit should be ok, right? Any suggestions on where to dive would be great! Thanks!

I will also be running on the 10th. I am running the mini tri though. If you get a charter set up, let me know. I have several 7mm wet suits. One of them may fit you. I have a grandmother that lives in Plantation. I used to dvie in Dania Fl. from the beach by the pier. Is there any descent diving around Plantation?

You'll have fun swimming the North Harbor. :D

There's not diving around Plantation. I usually do Dania Beach or off of Commercial Blvd. I am not looking forward to that swim!!!:crafty:

I will also be running on the 10th. I am running the mini tri though. If you get a charter set up, let me know. I have several 7mm wet suits. One of them may fit you. I have a grandmother that lives in Plantation. I used to dvie in Dania Fl. from the beach by the pier. Is there any descent diving around Plantation?

You'll have fun swimming the North Harbor. :D

There's not diving around Plantation. I usually do Dania Beach or off of Commercial Blvd. I am not looking forward to that swim!!!:crafty:

I heard that there were a couple of lakes in Plantation with gators in them that could be dove. :D

Make sure that you bring your hydroskin with ya for the swim. Its cold. Good luck with the tri..............

Back
Top Bottom