Clipping Reel To Bc During Dsmb Use Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what?

why are so worried about sharks, do you spear fish whilst on scuba? why are you complaining about the cost of a reel when you just spent USD 600 on what appears to be the biggest scuba novelty i've ever seen?
FREEDOM7 - Shark Shield

Your response to my post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to what I wrote... Yes, I spearfish with tanks. Sharks can be a problem, especially if you're not giving them your undivided attention. Thus, the question in my original post. In fact, many Florida spearos will tell you their stocks are extremely strong (very little shark fishing) and have become more bold and aggressive over the years.

Yes, I would rather not lose over a hundred dollars worth of gear if there are ways to prevent it. I did not spend $600, it was a gift. Nor did I know at the time of that post if it was in fact purchased.

Novelty? Why would the U.S. and Australian Navies use them if they were just a novelty? Apparently you haven't owned, used, seen or read the countless accounts of sharks bending and turning tail when hit with the electronic field. At the end of the day, it's the only proven shark deterrent, aside from a powerhead to the gills, which I would rather not do.

I have a big din O ring tied to my reel with cave line and I just connect my jon line to the O ring and if something grabs it - the O ring snaps and the reel + dsmb breaks free. I also use o rings on my regs for breakaway.

When I need two hands (rarely) I screw down my reel and the dsmb supports it in the water.

cave line and O rings are the duct tapes of undersea adventure.

Never thought of this application. I use o rings for my reg clips for the same purpose, to break if something hooks them, but for the SMB, that's a great idea, thanks.

Your response to my post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to what I wrote... Yes, I spearfish with tanks. Sharks can be a problem, especially if you're not giving them your undivided attention. Thus, the question in my original post. In fact, many Florida spearos will tell you their stocks are extremely strong (very little shark fishing) and have become more bold and aggressive over the years.

Yes, I would rather not lose over a hundred dollars worth of gear if there are ways to prevent it. I did not spend $600, it was a gift. Nor did I know at the time of that post if it was in fact purchased.

Novelty? Why would the U.S. and Australian Navies use them if they were just a novelty? Apparently you haven't owned, used, seen or read the countless accounts of sharks bending and turning tail when hit with the electronic field. At the end of the day, it's the only proven shark deterrent, aside from a powerhead to the gills, which I would rather not do.

you clearly haven't been in the water with sharks. body language is key.

i would return it get the cash and actually use it to explore. you actually believe the navies use it? they probably gave one to each navy and there you are "USA AND AUSTRALIAN NAVY USING OUR GEAR"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the Shield used by the Navy.

Oring, let go, or just keep an extra cheapo easy to break plastic bolt snap handy. And a little string isn't going to impede my ability to take my mask off and put back on.

Might not have been the Shield. But dragging a long rubber antennae sure as heck can help you build up a static charge easier.

The guy I met that dives with one, leaves it off all the time. Only turns it on in murky water or when sharks are getting too frisky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom