CMAS Divemaster to PADI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dakar

Reaction score
sitting on the largest sand bar of them all....
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello to you all,

Would like to find out what is the procedure to become a padi instructor.
I am a CMAS divemaster, going for the summer to central america, thought I might take the opportunity and undergo padi IDC, as I understand it is the most common in that region.
Any information re the course, and where do YOU think I should do it will be a great help! I still did not finelise my itinerary, so I'm open for suggestions!

Many thanks!

I'm not familiar with "CMAS divemaster", but extracted the following from the PADI Course Director Manual:
Prerequisites
To enroll in an IDC . . . an individual must:
1. Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or hold a leadership level certification with another recreational diver training organization.
An individual with leadership level certification with another diver training organization can be:
a. an instructor member in good standing with . . . CMAS (one star Instructor or three star diver) . . .
b. Or, a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management including proof of rescue diving certification.

Dakar,
If you are already a CMAS *** diver, why not just become a CMAS * instructor? Not that you'd need to, but then all you would have to do to become a PADI (or any other agency instructor) is do a cross over. BTW, it's easier to cross over from CMAS instructor to PADI instructor than from PADI to CMAS.
Take care,
George

Dakar,
If you are already a CMAS *** diver, why not just become a CMAS * instructor? Not that you'd need to, but then all you would have to do to become a PADI (or any other agency instructor) is do a cross over. BTW, it's easier to cross over from CMAS instructor to PADI instructor than from PADI to CMAS.
Take care,
George

Hey!
Thanks for the prompt reply! The reasoning behind the PADI IDC, is that i believe that it is the easiest to find in Central America. Do you happen to know whether CMAS instructor course is easy to find in that region?And if so where?

Thanks and all the best,

Hi there

CMAS *** is the equivalent of the PADI Divemaster and you should be able to go straight to a PADI IDC. You will have a lot of work to do, primarily with the dive skills, I would imagine. I mean - I am sure you won't have problems doing them - but you need to learn the 'PADI way' which most PADI Divemasters will learn during their training.

I have taught a number of instructors who did crossovers - primarily from BSAC - and all of them have done very well. I will also say that most of them also did a DM course with me as well - they didn't need to, but it gave them some background into the way the PADI courses are conducted.

You are probably right in that it will be easier to find a job in South America with an agency other than CMAS, which is primarily European. In resort areas, PADI and SSI are usually a safe bet in terms of finding jobs in the recreational industry. (Somebody chime in - are SSI big in S America? I don't actually know!)

Chat to your prospective teachers - if nothing else I would highly recommend you go through a few days' worth or prep with the school you're going to do your IDC with. Arrive a week early and spend at least 3 days going through the skills and exams with an experienced DM and preferably a staff instructor.

If you need any help, as always feel free to PM.

Happy diving,

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom