CMAS in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What benefit would there be for holding a CMAS card over any other cert card or is this just an ego trip?

Well sorry if I hurt your feelings but the YDI programis not as it has been explained to me going to be exactly the YMCA Scuba program. It is similar to NASDS being absorbed by SSI so technically YMCA no longer exists and YDI does not issue CMAS cards in the US. That is the point I was trying to make so the confusion goes away.

YDI is the continuation of the same SCUBA Program that began in 1959 as the YMCA SCUBA Program. YMCA has pulled out and is no longer affiliated with the SCUBA program which continues. There are some changes in standards, but that takes place from time to time in all agencies.

YDI is the continuation of the same SCUBA Program that began in 1959 as the YMCA SCUBA Program. YMCA has pulled out and is no longer affiliated with the SCUBA program which continues. There are some changes in standards, but that takes place from time to time in all agencies.

Walter - Some of what you said is true regarding change. A change of ownership however is major as is the major structural change that occurs when the parent organization (however poorly they supported them) drops the sponsorship. The liability shifts as does the business structure in terms of alliances with other agencies. I know they will have to reapply to CMAS before issuing cards and I would expect they would have to reapply to the RSTC.

Frank

CMAS and CMAS qualification is not an ego trip but in fact is a required certification to dive in some locations in the world such as Greece, France and Turkey to name a few. It is simply the highest level of training available bar none regardless of what the hype of US based agencies say. CMAS is the only true International diver organization as it was founded by the members of fifteen different countries including the US. It is diver based not agency based and everything is designed around that principle they do not even call themselves a trianing agency. Many CMAS Federations work at the club level with training being offerred through local dive clubs and/or underwater councils. Hope this clarifies the issue.

Frank

CMAS is the only true International diver organization
CEDIP seems pretty international.

Back
Top Bottom