CMAS or PADI for DiveMaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadeuce:
You have the following options:

Do CMAS 3* Diver, then go for CMAS Mon.* Instructor.
This is equivalent to PADI Assistant Instructor.
If you can do the CMAS Mon.** Instructor without having to wait, say a year, then continue.

Once you have the Mon.** Instructor cert you qualify to do the PADI IOC (Instructor Orientation Course) which is much cheaper than IDC.

But any decent school will let, even recommend, that you sit in for the full IDC at no extra charge.

That would be the cheapest route to the working ticket, and you would have the advantage (like Assar) of having knowledge of both agencies.

A DM by itself is not worth much - just a gopher licence.

Best o' luck,

Seadeuce

Sorry but as far as I know PADI does not do any IOC's anymore.:no

Than as a 3***cmas diver I can tell you this does NOT connect in any way to the PADI idc aspecialy not in the new 3*** version.If you want to stay with cmas go for the 3***(diveleader way)
On teh oteher hand if you intend to go for PADI owsi go for the divemaster otherwise you will not make the IDC unless you take a extra crossover course.
You will for one just missing out a lot off skills.like cesa,free flow breathing,hovering,
I do have the new Cmas standards with me wright now.

just my 2 cts

IMO if your going to try to find a shop to work with go PADI, it will work out for you, 90% of divemaster education is through experience anyway, the more you work the better you will be.

So it seems the crossover will cost me more money. I don't have that luxury at this stage.
I think I'm starting to feel that the CMAS option would be a "nice idea" but for real world, PADI seems what a lot of you recommend. Just going by websites, PADI seems to have it's act together, and CMAS seems to be a committee thing. I also heard that PADI has an online jobs directory for it's members. This would probably be invaluable to me as a noobie in the industry, CMAS doesn't seem to offer this.

The only reason for me going the CMAS route is then, the good instructor. Perhaps I can find a good PADI instructor in Dahab, but this means arriving with uncertain plans, which is a little scary to be honest. Anyway, lots to mull over.

Dear Bubbles, i think you really hit the nail on the head with "find yourself a good instructor!" Like all agencies, the good ones make it worth while, the bad uns cripple you!! Good luck with whatever way you go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom