CNS Oxygen Exposure Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosenit2

si respiratio sub aqua amet
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Have been doing research on CNS Oxygen Exposure over the last two days. I understand that most computers do CNS Oxygen Exposure calculations *live* for you while diving, but I wanted to understand the underlying math and algorithms that they use.

Of particular interest to me was the difference between the PADI Oxygen exposure table and the more detailed multi-level calculations that my computer appears to be doing. The PADI table just lists a highest PP02 and the max dive time allowed. This would force one to use a square profile for the dive. The computer appears to do a multi-level dive calculation giving credit for shallower depths.

The best reference that I have found is the NOAA Divers Manual, Chapter 3 which gives % saturation calculations for various PP02s in 5 minute intervals. This would allow one to calculate Oxygen saturation in multi-level and repetitive dives manually

As I researched the Shearwater algorithms it appears they have extrapolated the data in the NOAA 5 minute interval tables to do live calculations.

Two questions:

1. Do other computer manufacturers do the same thing?
2. Is there a published table somewhere that shows the data with a data interval of less than 5 minutes?

Take a program like MultiDeco, a planning software, play around with run times and deco gases and you can almost see the math is way out to lunch at high levels - the math they use that is - other planning software doesn’t match up either.

In rec diving, it’s hard to worry about it. The deco diving is different though.

Check this paper out by Erik Baker, P.E.
Oxygen Toxicity Calculations:

Attachments

• deco_oxy_tox_calcs.pdf
    254.4 KB · Views: 400
Have been doing research on CNS Oxygen Exposure over the last two days. I understand that most computers do CNS Oxygen Exposure calculations *live* for you while diving, but I wanted to understand the underlying math and algorithms that they use.

Of particular interest to me was the difference between the PADI Oxygen exposure table and the more detailed multi-level calculations that my computer appears to be doing. The PADI table just lists a highest PP02 and the max dive time allowed. This would force one to use a square profile for the dive. The computer appears to do a multi-level dive calculation giving credit for shallower depths.

The best reference that I have found is the NOAA Divers Manual, Chapter 3 which gives % saturation calculations for various PP02s in 5 minute intervals. This would allow one to calculate Oxygen saturation in multi-level and repetitive dives manually

As I researched the Shearwater algorithms it appears they have extrapolated the data in the NOAA 5 minute interval tables to do live calculations.

Two questions:

1. Do other computer manufacturers do the same thing?
2. Is there a published table somewhere that shows the data with a data interval of less than 5 minutes?

The PADI Tec40-45-50 manual does include CNS % and OTU unit per minute tables. Students are expected to use these to accurately complete a dive plan with various depths including average ascent, deco and gas switch.

Check this paper out by Erik Baker, P.E.
Oxygen Toxicity Calculations:

thank-you. This article would seem to confirm that all the computer is doing is using the NOAA table data and extrapolating for points that are not explicitly stated using a linear function and straight line connections between the known data points. It does give a methodology to do this manually if I wanted which is what I was looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom