Coast Guard searching for missing diver off Palm Beach 17Mar2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDC limits time on Juno ledge to 45 min on nitrox. Most of my dive with them are 52-53min total time
It appears I need to clarify my statement. I not referring to bottom time, but rather when the captain expects divers to be at the surface.

It appears I need to clarify my statement. I not referring to bottom time, but rather when the captain expects divers to be at the surface.

Exactly. For JDC that is not 60 minutes. It’s more like 50 to 55 minutes for Nitrox drivers.

I was out there diving today. the current was screaming. 2 kts in 80 and we clocked 4 kts in 130 feet (and decided it was undivable in 130.

It was very disappointing to watch the gross ineptness of the coast guard in their search patterns with the helicopter.

We were diving at the same place they were looking but they must have grossly under estimated the current speed. Which seems to be inexcusable, because they also had a USCG boat on scene (which should have been able to provide accurate - real time surface velocity data to the pilots.

To be more specific, we were diving in around 90 or 100 feet and drifting north following a dive buoy. occassionally, the diver would stop hook off, remain stationary to try to catch lobsters. When this happens the float would be nearly submerged and the boat would need to be driven southward into the current in order to stay in visual contact of the buoy.

So our dive boat was moving north, however at a considerably slower pace than a diver who would be floating on the surface.

I watched the helicopter do probably 5 east west search runs, going all the way west to what looked like near to shore and then straight out east to probably 250 feet of water. However, the damn thing was basically just flying over our head back and forth east and west, repeatedly. Thus, they were not making an effective search, all they were doing was flying back and forth over the same swath of water as it moved north. A floating diver would actually be moving faster than out dive boat. They could do the same thing for hours and hours and would be completely wasting time because each pass of the aircraft was not looking in a new area.

Surface conditions were about 1 foot seas, then the winds clocked around and then it was EXTREMELY flat (almost glassy) for maybe 1.5 - 2 hours. The surface visibility was exceptionally good.

It was ridiculously frustrating to watch all these resources being used ineffectively. There was also a USCG fixed wing aircraft on site for a quite a while as well, but I did not observe long enough to form an opinion on how it was being operated..

Other than a challenging current, the visibility was excellent today and the seas were very calm.

Condolences to family and loved ones.

A buddy diving off another boat in the area said he saw the R4 drop divers in the area around Area 51 yesterday morning. That area is about 90 feet to the sand.

I was a diver on M/V Aurelia from Pura Vida Divers yesterday morning's 10am boat out of WPB. We turned north from the inlet and a Coast Guard fixed wing aircraft flew over us while we were enroute to Juno ledge. Once we were close to our drop site the multiple resources searching were obvious. We guessed 'missing diver' and I remember thinking it was pretty early in the day for a diver to be missing from a scheduled charter. I wasn't in a position to evaluate search patterns, and the obvious multiple assets from multiple agencies means coordinating the SAR to be effective would have been a challenge. And I can confirm the current was ripping. I remain impressed by how fast and early the assets were on the water and overhead.

I was out there diving today. the current was screaming. 2 kts in 80 and we clocked 4 kts in 130 feet (and decided it was undivable in 130.

It was very disappointing to watch the gross ineptness of the coast guard in their search patterns with the helicopter.

We were diving at the same place they were looking but they must have grossly under estimated the current speed. Which seems to be inexcusable, because they also had a USCG boat on scene (which should have been able to provide accurate - real time surface velocity data to the pilots.

To be more specific, we were diving in around 90 or 100 feet and drifting north following a dive buoy. occassionally, the diver would stop hook off, remain stationary to try to catch lobsters. When this happens the float would be nearly submerged and the boat would need to be driven southward into the current in order to stay in visual contact of the buoy.

So our dive boat was moving north, however at a considerably slower pace than a diver who would be floating on the surface.

I watched the helicopter do probably 5 east west search runs, going all the way west to what looked like near to shore and then straight out east to probably 250 feet of water. However, the damn thing was basically just flying over our head back and forth east and west, repeatedly. Thus, they were not making an effective search, all they were doing was flying back and forth over the same swath of water as it moved north. A floating diver would actually be moving faster than out dive boat. They could do the same thing for hours and hours and would be completely wasting time because each pass of the aircraft was not looking in a new area.

Surface conditions were about 1 foot seas, then the winds clocked around and then it was EXTREMELY flat (almost glassy) for maybe 1.5 - 2 hours. The surface visibility was exceptionally good.

It was ridiculously frustrating to watch all these resources being used ineffectively. There was also a USCG fixed wing aircraft on site for a quite a while as well, but I did not observe long enough to form an opinion on how it was being operated..

Other than a challenging current, the visibility was excellent today and the seas were very calm.
Diver never surfaced and was found unresponsive underwater. There was a C130 from Opa Locka running a search pattern as well as the Palm Beach sheriffs office, Jupiter Police, and USCG surface vessels. The helo was likely there to provide a medivac, if needed, in addition to search support. There is a lot of nuance to SAR missions that are beyond your and my understanding. "Gross ineptness" is a stretch....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom