Cobalt Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It looks like Cobalt Coast plans to open as an updated dive resort. It sounds a lot like the old, but nice, dive resort.

Divetech has been offering shore diving from there for a while

Looks like they missed their late 2023 opening date, anybody know more?

I was up there a few weeks ago. Dive shop is open and looked like some renovations to resort and restaurant going on. They were also moving around sand to create a sort of beach area between the hotel and the iron shore. I don't think I would want to stay there mid winter with the wind blowing onshore, but late spring, summer, early fall, should be good.

I stayed there in the summer years ago when Ari ran the place and it was quite a beautiful setting. The only downside is that dock is relatively shallow so the dive boats can only get in when flat calm. Otherwise divers need to be bused.

Cobalt is quite out of the way from the hustle and bustle, but for me, that's a positive feature.
I think, when open, should be direct competition for Ocean Frontiers at East End.

Hi @Doctorfish

I agree with you. I was at Cobalt Coast under Ari twice, 2007 and 2008. We had a great time. On one trip we were bussed to West Bay for boat dives on a couple of the days, no big deal. In addition to the shore diving at CC, we went to our old favorite, Turtle Reef. We used another operator if we wanted 2 PM boat dives.

I have also been to Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers twice in 2011 and enjoyed it very much. OF offers 4-5 boat dives/day.

I look forward to hearing what Cobalt Coast has to offer and may give them another go. Interesting that Divetech ran the boat and shore diving business for our previous visits. It may be Divetech again, assuming they pick up the boat diving from the updated resort.

I guess we will all see.

Divetech is already on site. I assume they are there to stay. They run a very good op.

I very much enjoy the shore diving from Cobalt is the weather co operates. Long swim but beautiful miniwall and main wall.

Divetech is already on site. I assume they are there to stay. They run a very good op.

I very much enjoy the shore diving from Cobalt is the weather co operates. Long swim but beautiful miniwall and main wall.
I agree about the shore diving. Plus, you just never know what you’re gonna see. We were there in January 2019 and just a week or so before we got there one of the DMs was swimming to shore after securing the boat. About half way in a hammerhead went right underneath him. Poor Bernie said that it was beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

Erik

So, the Cobalt Coast website and reservation system are now open

No accommodations/meals/diving or accommodations/meals packages available at this time. Cobalt Coast, Nova Bar and Restaurant, and Divetech are operating separately.

The resort offers king or queen ocean view or garden view rooms. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, closed Tuesdays. Cobalt Coast is Divetech's main location now, Lighthouse Point is their secondary site. If the boat is not leaving from Cobalt Coast, they have a shuttle to the West Bay dock, Morgan's Harbor, or Cayman Islands Yacht Club

We'll see how this works out

Cobalt Coast is Divetech's main location now, Lighthouse Point is their secondary site. If the boat is not leaving from Cobalt Coast, they have a shuttle to the West Bay dock, Morgan's Harbor, or Cayman Islands Yacht Club
..aaaand things come full circle!

When I first came to Cayman this was Divetech's set up - primary was CC, then Turtle Reef (pre-Macabuca days) as the secondary, and West Bay Dock, or Morgan's Harbour, depending on conditions, for boats.

So, the Cobalt Coast website and reservation system are now open

No accommodations/meals/diving or accommodations/meals packages available at this time. Cobalt Coast, Nova Bar and Restaurant, and Divetech are operating separately.

The resort offers king or queen ocean view or garden view rooms. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, closed Tuesdays. Cobalt Coast is Divetech's main location now, Lighthouse Point is their secondary site. If the boat is not leaving from Cobalt Coast, they have a shuttle to the West Bay dock, Morgan's Harbor, or Cayman Islands Yacht Club

We'll see how this works out
It would be hard for me to ditch Ocean Frontiers. They are a great dive op

I've looked at their offering in the past; if I were traveling solo, it'd be pricey. If were bringing my wife and our daughter, the absence of sandy beach sloping into the water would be a negative from the kid's perspective, plus not being right on 7 Mile Beach would be a negative for keeping them entertained while I'm off (not that I'm scintillating to have around when I'm present, but my wife still thinks I should be some of the time). Given the expense of Grand Cayman boat diving, but shore diving looked like a good way to save money on afternoon dives, but I hear they get blown out quite a bit...

Any idea about how often that shore dive gets blown out? If I ever went, that'd be a big part of the draw. Especially since if I just wanted to do a bunch of boat dives and see some of reputedly the best Caymans diving, I'd be tempted by the east end or heading over to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, and if I had family along, I'd be tempted by Sunshine Suites Resort or Comfort Suites on 7 Mile Beach (which I've read are budget 'by G.C. on 7MB standards).

In other words, out of curiosity I'm trying to better understand the demographic niche where they appear to beat out competitor offerings.

That is unfortunate. The all-inclusive 'pay once, cry once' option to secure a trip budget up front was one of the selling points (though I still recall being put off by the price).

I've looked at their offering in the past; if I were traveling solo, it'd be pricey. If were bringing my wife and our daughter, the absence of sandy beach sloping into the water would be a negative from the kid's perspective, plus not being right on 7 Mile Beach would be a negative for keeping them entertained while I'm off (not that I'm scintillating to have around when I'm present, but my wife still thinks I should be some of the time). Given the expense of Grand Cayman boat diving, but shore diving looked like a good way to save money on afternoon dives, but I hear they get blown out quite a bit...

Any idea about how often that shore dive gets blown out? If I ever went, that'd be a big part of the draw. Especially since if I just wanted to do a bunch of boat dives and see some of reputedly the best Caymans diving, I'd be tempted by the east end or heading over to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, and if I had family along, I'd be tempted by Sunshine Suites Resort or Comfort Suites on 7 Mile Beach (which I've read are budget 'by G.C. on 7MB standards).

In other words, out of curiosity I'm trying to better understand the demographic niche where they appear to beat out competitor offerings.

That is unfortunate. The all-inclusive 'pay once, cry once' option to secure a trip budget up front was one of the selling points (though I still recall being put off by the price).
My 2 cents, if you have family with you , you go to Grand. CCoast gets blown out on a very regular basis in the winter months, more so than any other shore diving facility. Sunshine Suites is across the street from the beach, but it has a much nicer beach than that at Comfort Suites. However, Comfort Suites is much closer in terms of walking distance to shops, restaurant, town.
Going by yourself? I'd opt for The Brac. It offers far more access I believe to shore diving than LC does.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom