Cobalt Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech is already on site. I assume they are there to stay. They run a very good op.

I very much enjoy the shore diving from Cobalt is the weather co operates. Long swim but beautiful miniwall and main wall.
When we dived there (long time ago, 2002) they offered a taxi ride on a small zodiac to the drop-off. But back we swam on our own.

When we dived there (long time ago, 2002) they offered a taxi ride on a small zodiac to the drop-off. But back we swam on our own.
Not quite as long ago for me. My son and I spent a week at Cobalt Coast in March of 2007 and in May of 2008. The zodiac shuttle to the main wall was no longer in service.

During the 2007 visit, seas were up. We did one shore dive at Turtle Reef, none at Cobalt Coast. All of our boat dives were in the west. We did additional boat dives in the afternoon with Cayman Diving School (no longer in business) in addition to the morning boat dives with Divetech. We did the West Bay Express DPV dive with Divetech from Sand Chute to Texas Hole/Big Dipper. We also did a CCR experience with Nat Robb, who was still at Divetech before founding Indepth Water Sports in 2010.

Seas were more cooperative during our 2008 visit, and we were able to dive the Cobalt Coast mini wall. Our boat dives were a nice combination of west side and north wall. We did the West Bay Express DPV dive and got from Cobalt Coast almost to Lighthouse Point.

I see that Divetech still offers the West Bay Express DPV dive, it's a blast. I don't know if the CCR experience is still available, it was really an eye opening half day.

We also did one shore dive from Sand Hole Beach.
PS: I think they charged us something like $5 for the taxi ride at Cobalt.

I didn't know you could easily get in the water there - I snorkelled up that way s a while back to investigate and I remember ironshore underwater for quite a ways out... how was it?
For reasons unknown, I did not put the details into my log book, and my memory fails completely.

This was our 2nd dive that day, and the 1st one was from private property "0.5 miles north of Dive Tech". As I recall, the owner was a retired Navy vet who allowed us to dive from his backyard. On this dive I logged only that it was "good" and that we saw an octopus. I can't believe I was so sloppy as a young man...

Did Cobalt Last Sunday for 2 dives with the underwater scooters. It was a blast ans was the best 2 dives we have done so far. I will do it again. We are familiar with the water scooters so we never took a guide. $40 for scooter for the 1st dive. $60 for 2 dives or a half day. Well worth it. We scootered out on top to shallow wall. Dropped down and shot to deep wall. Went 30 min at 60 to 75ft. Then shot to the shallow wall and came back at 45 ft. Then the second dive we went the other way on the shallow wall. Went 50 ft down 30 min and 40 ft back 30 min. Scooters are awesome!!!

It looks like Cobalt Coast plans to open as an updated dive resort. It sounds a lot like the old, but nice, dive resort.

Divetech has been offering shore diving from there for a while

Looks like they missed their late 2023 opening date, anybody know more?
Correct, Cobalt Coast Resort is done their renovations and officially open and taking reservations! You can visit the website Home - Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort for details, pictures, and prices, as well as links to book your stay.

We have a brand new (and pink!) shop here at Cobalt Coast, and yes we are here to stay :)
For shore diving, you can just walk right down the dock and into the ocean. The mini-wall and main wall really are gorgeous, with lots of vibrant sponges, schooling fish as well as larger marine creatures cruising past. I use the word "wild" to describe the reef as there's so much life here and the reef is really healthy. We run the boat from here as often as we can, but if the weather dictates a different dock location we have a complimentary shuttle.

The dock is great to enter the ocean for both diving and snorkeling, plus there's a beach, pool and hot tub to chill at. The bar/restaurant Nova serves great cocktails you can check them out here Nova Cayman.

Hi @Divetech Cayman

I'm hoping that Cobalt Coast, Nova, and Divetech will offer a package deal for accommodations, meals, and diving similar to what was offered by the previous iteration of Cobalt Coast.

I understand there was damage to Lighthouse Point and perhaps to the dock at Cobalt Coast from the recent storrm. How are you doing?

Hi @Divetech Cayman

I'm hoping that Cobalt Coast, Nova, and Divetech will offer a package deal for accommodations, meals, and diving similar to what was offered by the previous iteration of Cobalt Coast.

I understand there was damage to Lighthouse Point and perhaps to the dock at Cobalt Coast from the recent strorm. How are you doi

Not sure if packages will be offered as believe they are 3 separate entities?
I was up there yesterday with a few friends.. Dock is fine, lower newer set-up facilities took a hit, but plenty of room up top for folks to set up gear.
Since we are primarily macro hunters we never made it to mini wall, spending 90 minutes in the shallows preceding. CC faired the best by far ON THE HARD PAN area leading to mini wall, compared to other sites. There was a horizontal path of destruction part way out , where everything was well scrubbed, but before and beyond, seafans, sponges, and algae were intact. We spotted seahares, eunice worms, various crabs, two spot octopus, cowries, scorpionfish, Dwarf Starksia blenny, squid, big barracuda, oh and an Eagle ray.

Lunch at Nova was very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom