cobra depth sensor went out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrragon

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My last dive was at a familiar site. When I first went down, it seemed that the depth was twice what it should have been, then later, increased to maybe twice plus ten feet.

27 minutes into the dive, the depth went to zero. The air pressure seemed normal so I continued to dive with paying close attention to keeping relatively shallow around 25 - 30 feet, and feeling the air as I breathed. I continued after the 27 minute mark for another 15 minutes and got out safe and sound.

I sent the computer via my LDS to Aqualung, the reps for Suunto, and they said the depth sensor was bad, couldn't be fixed, and for $366, they would replace it with a brand new Cobra. This is a prorated price.

I have had the computer over the past three years. it's warrantied for 2. for up to the fifth year, it gets prorated.

I only had about 40 dives on it. Only about 7 of those in the past year.

What could have happened to it? How could it not be repairable? How do I prevent this problem from happening again if I get another Cobra?

I would hate to have to replace my computer after every 40 dives or three years.

This is a problem that a few of us have had with our Suunto computers. If you want to read more, do a search for "Beware Suunto Computers".

Thanks for the heads up. I'm now a little confused about what options to take concerning the next computer. I feel like the service and options from Suunto are not the greatest, so I hesitate about just getting another one or upgrading.

I feel your pain :D . I have 7 Suunto Computers and have had a problem with just the one so far (knock on wood). A co-worker of mine had a problem with one of his Gekko's (he has two)also. It's unforunate that Suunto-Aqualung is taking such a poor stance with this issue but I imagine it is because they are covering their butts from being sued (not addmitting they have a problem):crafty:.

This is not just a problem with Suunto. Pressure transducers go just like any piece of electronics. In most cases it is cheaper and easier to replace than repair. Which is the way the world is going with most products. It sucks ... I would say do some comparison shopping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom