Cobra / SmartCom quick disconnects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having a REALLY hard time choosing between the Cobra and SmartCom. I'm trying to find a reason to choose one over the other.

1- Which of these computers has the better quick disconnect and why?
2- Do I really need a quick disconnect?
3- Which is easier to download data to the PC?
4- Will the Cobra display be easy for my 44 year old eyes to read?
5- Any other reasons to choose one over the other?

Thanks for your help

bertschb once bubbled...

I took the QD off of my Cobra the day I hooked up my reg at the quarry and discovered I'd left the Cobra at home connected to the PC. I think they're more of a PITA than anything else.

4- Will the Cobra display be easy for my 44 year old eyes to read?[/QUOTE]

I can read my Cobra's dsiplay with my 44 year old eyes even though I typically require reading glasses.

Mike

1- Which of these computers has the better quick disconnect and why?
3- Which is easier to download data to the PC?
4- Will the Cobra display be easy for my 44 year old eyes to read?
5- Any other reasons to choose one over the other?

I have both computers so maybe i can help confuse you..lol

1. Both quick connects work great and ive had no problem with either. I have around fifty dives on each.

2 I like a disconnect so i can take the dive computer to my desktop and download my dives without my regulator and hoses. I think I would get water all over my things without the disconnect because i usually download right after i dive. I make sure i put the computer right back with my dive bag after i download so i dont forget it.

3. The Cobra I feel has a better interface (it clips into the back) than the Uwatec (infra red), but I like the Uwatec software better.

4. I feel the Cobra and the Uwatec are both easy to read. The Uwatec has everything on one screen. You have to push a button to get the time and water temp on the Cobra. The Uwatec does not have the time.

5. I love both computers. The Uwatec just had a recall which you might take into consideration. They did send a brand new replacement unit. I have had no problems with either computer. You can read more on the micro bubbles on Uwatecs website and decide for yourself which computer might be better for you. I dont feel you can go wrong with either. I wish i could combine the two. I like having the time on the Cobra.

I hope this helps........Fireguy

I have the SmartPro and love the QD feature for downloading as well as traveling. However, while diving in the Keys on the same vacation, both my wife and my QD leaked. That and the recall has made me a little nervous about the Uwatec product.

One annecdotal experience:

My Cobra's quick disconnect blew an O-ring recently, resulting in a pretty dramatic free flow. Thankfully, this happened when I opened the tank valve on the boat and not 120 feet below the surface. Made me more than a bit queasy. When renting a replacement unit for the dive, the shop mechanic mentioned that he'd heard of other examples of quick disconnects on various computers blowing O-rings--some of them during a dive.
While I love my quick Disc--especially during dive trips where the operators keep your gear all week--I might not be so quick to get one if I had it to do over.

Best,

I have a Scubapro quick disconnect which is what I assume you are going to get with an Uwatec.

I did encounter one problem with it where it managed to unscrew itself about 1/2 turn during a dive. This did not result in any air loss but rather the opposite. It essentially sealed the air in the HP hose and SPG from the rest of the system. So as the dive continued the air pressure remained at 1470 psi despite being at 120 feet for several minutes.

The problem, if not the cause, was readily apparent, but could have been a serious issue for a diver who does not check their gauges often or does not compare what they see with what they know they should expect to see based on their anticpated air consumption at depth.

After the dive I determined that the hose protector that I had left on the hose was just a bit too far up. So when the hose was rotated accidenty during the dive, it turned the hose protector and the hose protector, extending over the top of the swivel portion of the connection, contacted the knurled nut on the QD and allowed it to unscrew slightly.

The solution to preventing the problem is to remove the hose protector or leave it far enough down the QD fitting and hose so that it will not contact the nut and to ensure the QD nut is tight prior to the start of every dive.

My Wisdom has a direct plug in connection which I feel is easier to use, faster and more reliable than the infared connection used on the Uwatec.

I like the disconnect feature on my SmartCom. It allows me to take my computer to my room with me and not get it all dinged up in the dive bag or gear locker, not to mention resort DM's that set up equipment, if you are at a resort like that.

I also like to download my dives immediately before I forget what I saw and did. A QD allows you to only need your comp not your whole reg to do this.

My SmartCom QD did leak on a few dives, though. I replaced the O ring found inside the female end and then lubed both ends of the QD lightly with silicone lube before each dive afterwards. No more problems.

While I like the Micro-bubble feature, I have not been compelled to use it yet. I always dive at level 0.

The SmartCom is easy to read at depth and to program, once you practice with it for a bit.

I have no knowledge of the Cobra and cannot comment on it.

Hope this helps!

I have the Cobra with a quick disconnect that was added by my LDS. I have a suspicion, it isn't a Suunto quick disconnect, but rather a disconnect rated for the high pressure side. But it does work well.

I find I use the quick disconnect for all the reasons everyone else mentioned, but also for one other thing. Since the Cobra with a compass is fairly long, I find it easier to store my ADS with the Cobra disconnected and a couple of end plugs inserted.

I also have a SPG that I can plug in just in case the Cobra should have a problem, also on the same quick disconnect. And before anyone says anything, I don't plan on doing the swap out under water. But I do use it for pool training sessions, so I don't have to mess with the computer logging the pool dives. I have a spare Mosquito computer, that I use on vacation, so at worst, I will have to loose one dive if the Cobra failed.

My LDS swears by the Cobra for reliability, almost everyone in the shop has one, and I don't think I have heard of any problems with them.

Now, as to the computer interface, the program on a scale of 0 to 10, ranks about a 5 at most. They charge for the cable, not the program, and the quality of the program shows. I can't compare to anything else out there, so I can't give you a relative answer. The rating is in comparison to commercial software in general. In general its a clumsy program, with some useability problems, and it has been known to corrupt the data file, so keep backups.

Personally, this winter, I will probably go to a simpler log that keeps the data I want, and drop the Suunto program. It was fun at first, but now its more hassile than its worth.

Oh, and as to eyes, I can read it with 44 year old eyes, but I'm not sure I will be with 45 year old eyes. I use bifocals in my mask that helps with that and other tasks.

peterjmaerz once bubbled...
One annecdotal experience:

My Cobra's quick disconnect blew an O-ring recently, resulting in a pretty dramatic free flow. Thankfully, this happened when I opened the tank valve on the boat and not 120 feet below the surface. Made me more than a bit queasy. When renting a replacement unit for the dive, the shop mechanic mentioned that he'd heard of other examples of quick disconnects on various computers blowing O-rings--some of them during a dive.
While I love my quick Disc--especially during dive trips where the operators keep your gear all week--I might not be so quick to get one if I had it to do over.

Best,

I am not amazed about this and i will not be surprused if they design later 2 o-rings. There is a lot of friction there when you take it out and put it in back.

I have a smart com. with a Q.D. and have had no problem with it after every dive I soak and clean it and afterward I spay it down with spray silicone. But I am a tech. diver and I dive with a single tank but I dive with a H valve and I think they should be required for even open water diving as if I have a leak from my smart com. I can turn that valve off without lossing air. I think that Tech. diving will help all people diving and highly recomend to all to at least go through a Tech. diving course. I love my Q.D. because I dive with alot of diferent people and dive clubs and I don't want my Smart Com. on the bottom of the pile with every body elses gear on top of it or someone to throw the weight belt on it. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom