Coco View,Good for Deep Shore Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eleven?!? :rofl3: an average at CCV is 20+, well for just a rookie you got some catching up to do. I'm glade to hear you're hooked.

Eleven might be a numeric count reference to the 1:00+ BT dives. That might be a pretty good record for a week at CCV.

Remember that boat dives #1 (morning boat) and #3 (afternoon boat) are asked to be limited to 60 minutes BT. This is so you can do adequate SI for the drop-off dives #2 and #4.

They came up with this policy years ago so that the dive crew may maintain a schedule, have a life, and so some of my dive buddies that seem to have gills won't keep the rest of us mortals bobbing about on the surface waiting their return.

If you tell a DM that you want 1:10 or so, if the SI doesn't involve a long trip back to CCV, the DM will allow you to surface just in time for the boat to weigh anchor. You will miss your SI and the next dive- one where you can stay down as long as you might like.

The DM's are pretty flexible. If you want them to run longer trips and dives, they can be nudged into it. Just remember, when you are showered off and having a cold one, they still have to scrub down the boats, change out the tanks, and then scoot home.

The drop-off dives is where you can really dawdle. I'm no fish, and I manage 1:20 BT's and usually have 1000psi left over. I do cheat by staying 45' and shallower, but that's where the critters are.

Dives #2 and #4 are the so-called "drop off dives", which a few decry as being "the same old dive". You'll get 5 along CCV Wall, and 5 along Newmans. Both lead you past the Prince Albert Wreck at the end. I find the dives to be different at every visit. I'm just happy being dropped-off over the wreck- talk about the same old thing! Works for me. Knowing every inch of that wreck has really paid off in being a Critter Gitter.

So, if you count it up on your fingers, over a week, you'll likely see 11 drop-off dives- where you can suck your tank to fumes- aint nobody checking your SPG upon exit, not at CoCoView.

If you want to bump your 60'+ BT count even higher, many people just do shore dives and skip the boats. I combine the two and have them drop me off of the outward bound boat on the shore dive wreck on the way out for dive #1 or dive #3.

Then there's the night dives. Curiously, many limit their BT here to 45 minutes, but as they relax, it is not uncommon the see divers out for a full hour. If you hang with us pokey slow folks, it's 1:30. My dive buddy gets cold long before we run out of air.

If you do every opportunity, there's no reason to not have 16 or more !:00+ dives.

Yeah...Ditto what Doc said!

Yeah...Ditto what Doc said!

There's another one of those pokey slow divers, Miss Dee.

She has spent close to two hours doing shore dives. I know- I've tried to keep up. :blinking:

Eleven?!? :rofl3: an average at CCV is 20+, well for just a rookie you got some catching up to do. I'm glade to hear you're hooked.
That's 11 dives of 60+ minutes; 27 dives total. 24 hours 11 minutes underwater time this trip. Yeah, you could say I'm hooked (third trip in less than a year). :cool2:

John was underwater more than he was above water....he has been to CCV 4 times this year...:) and yes he is addicted :D

there were several people in our group that dropped below 100' and like others have said not that much to see....most of us like our 1 hr plus diving we get there in the shallower depths....and like John said we saw all kinds of stuff in the front yard...

not sure how deep you want to go...but if you stay long enough at 110' you can go into deco if that is what you are looking to do...:)

Okay, now I'm jealous "four times this year" It took me five years to become a Coconut. If you noticed I did thank Doc for straitening me out.

I think you missunderstood what John was saying, he said he had 11 dives that were over 60 minutes... he did over 20+ dives in the week. And he isn't a CCV rookie, he has been there many times. I wish we could go there as often as he has the past 2 years! :wink:

1 week .. 32 dives .. 27 hours and 8 minutes below

GOTTA LOVE IT !

Sure i could have had longer dives, but i think i was fine, had to get som food before the next boat left =)

I wrote my own small review of our 1 hour trip including pics and video here: Knuspar.dk CoCoView was absolutely amazing

I can only highly recommend CCV !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom