cocoview resort roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will anyone else be at CocoView October 4-11? We were at first hesitant to go due to the stomach reports, but are now willing to risk it based on all the positive stories. Does anyone else have any recent reports?

If you want to read a lengthy but well reasoned interpretation of what occured and what has been done to resolve this widespread island problem, it is archived at -www.scubadiving.com- Find it by typing in: "CoCoView truth" and you'll see a post written by one Doc Adelman, self admitted fan of Coco View in particular and Roatan in general.

If you are fearful of travel, maybe that's why people stay home. But you're an adventure taking SCUBA diver and you better see Roatan so you can tell your grandchildren about "how it used to be" (much like Cayman).

CCV expresses it's findings in couched optimism, stating that for the last three weeks, no outbreaks have occured at CCV (or at any other resort which adopted their banning of dairy products from a Honduran approved Corporation). This list also includes the three fancier restaurants in the French Harbor locale. CCV also states that they are by no means declaring a victory, that they shall not let their guard down.

This island wide problem which affected many places was resolved by the solo effort and expense of CCV. Nicely done, boys!

Save the bandwidth, go see the Rodale's Diver to Diver post at www.scubadiving.com

Come on down, we'll be waiting!

Roatan Man

:ninja:

Like the midget ninja.

JohnF

I have spent about ten weeks at Coco View over the years the last trip was in May of this year. No one got sick that I know of I did not go hungry but some food was not what I would normally eat but over all I was happy with the food. But I also did not expect 5 star either. You got to love the boats and the gear storage garages well thought out easy and plenty of room to move around. No CNN I wish they would buy a dish and one TV for upstairs to get my fix.Well they have the TV sorry they need the dish. I to wish I had the cash to buy this place. I was there the first year they opened and boy have they built a great place.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do feel better now, but have my Pepto Bismol tablets and Deet just in case. Are the boats pretty stable? I have a tendency to feel a bit queezy at times.

Are the CoCo View Boats stable? Yeah, they're big long (50 or 55') with wide beams. About as stable as any boat of that type for day tripping is going to be.

The trick at CCV is that the boats are sparkling clean and fiberglass, they are covered- yet the sides are wide open. These two features mean that there is no rotting yucky boat smell and the exhaust will flow aft... no "back suck".

There are aft exits, as well as starboard and port side exits that are wide enough to roll a wheelchair thru. There is no "sill" to step over- just straight out.

What is unique about them is the "center cut moon well" that allows you to return from underneath the boat. These ladders run straight thru the middle of each boat, thru the hull. They are located in the center of the boat, so if there is movement at mooring, the ladder stays still relative to the diver. Eazy breezy.

There is also a "cameras only" table that is amidships and covered with i/o carpet. There is a unique baffled no-slosh rinse tank for cameras and several fresh water buckets. Ice water and fruit are the norm.

The boats at CCV are my favorite!

Roatan Man

:ninja:

While I regret that this may cause an outburst of angry responses, I wish to challenge the words of praise some have offered for the way in which CCV and the Evans family, most notably Terry, handled the recent health concerns at CCV.

In his September communication through Dee proclaiming an end to the problem, Terry Evans wrote that “CoCoView owners did acknowledge their problem and tried for months to take care of it themselves. Several times they thought they had it under control, but a few weeks later there would be another occurrence.”

But look back to Terry’s 6/30/03 posting at scubadiving.com and there seems to be absolutely no acknowledgement of a problem. In fact, he specifically said that “there is no indication of any illness whatsoever.” This declaration was buttressed by carefully worded statements that left the impression that there was no real problem. For example, Terry writes “I've had reports of illness from virtually every resort at some time or another and have over the years had fewer complaints from CCV guests than other properties we handle in the Bay Islands.” Excuse me, Terry is the son of the owner – does he think people that obviously see his relationship to the owners are going to be more candid with him regarding their GI misadventures? And even if it is indeed a true statement, it explicitly ignores the fact that there apparently was a problem at CCV at exactly the same time that Terry wrote that there was no problem.

While Dee appropriately notes that Terry is the son of Bill & Evelyn, Terry, in his 6/30/03 infomercial for CCV, conveniently omitted that little fact as he staunchly defended CCV (just like he conveniently avoided any acknowledgement that there was a problem). When someone on scubadiving.com called Terry on his error of omission (“Might Terry Evans have any relationship to Bill and Evelyn Evans, the owners of CocoView who reportedly have been trying to sell the property? And would that have been a reasonable thing to disclose?), Terry conveniently avoided a clear answer in his posted response.

Terry attempted to gloss over the entire matter. In his 6/30/03 posting, he suggested that “the only reason I have time to write this is because I am on vacation at CoCo View resort as we speak. The resort is full, all boats are going out full every day, everyone I have talked to is having a great time and there is no indication of any illness whatsoever.” Fast forward to his September statement through Dee that he spent four weeks over the summer working in Roatan to identify the cause of the problem and to solve it. Through the scubadiving.com posting, Terry assures fleeing customers that all is well, but now that, in his opinion, the problem is solved, he was down there working hard to solve the problem.

Perhaps the problem at CCV has, in fact, now been solved, but I would not accept it just because Terry has said it. His latest words do little to give confidence that the problem is truly solved, in that they expressly contradict what he so strongly wrote when he was trying to mislead readers back in June. Why should we trust him now?

The value of this board is greatly reduced if businesses directly or indirectly use it as a tool to send messages or spin. We all have our favorite facilities and I, for one, include CCV in my list. But favorite or not, none of us should allow our friendships with owners to be transformed into an unchallenged communication channel. If the owners or family of CCV want to send a message to us, let them do so directly with the understanding that they assume a responsibility to reply when one or more board participants may wish to ask follow-up questions. Terry’s 6/30/03 venture on to scubadiving.com was little more than an infomercial that, when challenged, prompted Terry to obfuscate even more.

AllenG, it's good to read such a well written post of a subject that you too feeel a great attachment to.

I wonder what criteria you are proposing in judging the actions of Terry Evans? Is it not enough that he was indeed working on the problem as soon as they could piece together the fact that the disease issues were an island wide problem, but only affecting certain groups?

Was it not enough that this reealization came along after the first reports, but not fast enough to have anything to blurt out on the internet to counter the gossiping Undercurrent blather? (Talk about spamming and press releasing for ulterior motives!).

Terry had to know that the problem was not going to be solved by news releases. When it first occured, every affected resort owner on the island agreed that it was "that cruise ship thing".

As time passed, Terry began the process of scientificaly eliminating the vectors, one by one. Due to his diligence and that of Barefoot Billy, the hidden cause was found for the problem.

So you suggest that we shoot the messenger? I think Terry's response was not only defensible but very reasonable. Remember, he didn't have the advantage of the USDA inspecting production facilities in Honduras. (Facilities approved by the Honduran Govt).

Roatan isn't Atlanta. We have no on-the-spot health services to deal with such problems. At CCV's considerable expense, this problem was resolved.

At no time did Terry or anyone else here involved ever mention the names of the numerous other resorts that had been equally beset... even though the so-called "Bin Davison", terrorist of the news group (Blundercurrent) continued his derisive tirade against CCV. It didn't go to solve the problem, so why would Terry bother to respond. Why would Terry bother to respond ifg he had nothing new to add. ("We're working on it" is not a good enough statement for most, and a full explanation wasn't even possible until recently).

Talk about the diminution of the value of this chatroom. Give me a break, will ya? The amount of useless repetitive caca that is posted here, the spamming by Bludercurrent (which has thankfuly gone away) not to mention the herd riding hoggishness of know it all Norsemen... puhleeeze.

If you won't take it from Terry, take it from me. Everything's been fine at CCV and any other resort which discontinued receiving milk cheese and dairy products from that Honduran (certified) production facility has had nary a burp since 08/24.

I'm sure there'll be a field day if someone stubs their toe, but....

Roatan Man

Hi

I was there for a week of diving last April. Had a GREAT experience. Nothing to complain about regarding CoCo View at all. Loved the very rustic rooms. Felt like we were living in "Water World" (had to walk down a dock to get to our bungalo over the water).

The only thing I'd warn you about at this time of the year, is the "Sea Lice". Everyone on our boat was stung by them. Just make sure to wear a full hood and then they won't bother you. A few people were bad enough that they went to the emergency room one day and skipped diving. Just welts completely covering their necks and faces. Could have totally been avoided if the dive masters has warned us and told us that full hoods were recommended. I guess the Sea Lice only come for a few weeks around that time of the year.

Pam

Yes, sea lice or (I think) larval jellies can be a bad bongos experience anywhere in the Mar Caribe. I've been zapped only a couple of times in many thousands of dives, but it has happened.

Good advice, wearing full coverage, but my body's reaction to them was a lot less severe. At night, I am much more wary of sea wasps or box jellies or whatever those little b*st*rds are. The sea lice seem to collect and chow down around neck, arm, wrist openings or in armpits, etc. Yeeesh.

There is no predicting them that I am aware.

Roatan Man

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom