cocoview resort roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from CoCoView today. This was our third trip to CCV, however, we are not so biased for or against CCV that we cannot give an accurate report.

Sickness - We had no problems and nobody got sick to our knowledge this past week. According to CCV staff this makes four or five weeks without a person getting sick (except those that drank too much the night before). We did take Pepto Bismol the first few days as protection, but quit this about halfway through to see if anything would happen, which it didn't.

Food - CCV staff told me all of their food now comes from the US. We did not notice any difference between previous trips and this trip regarding food. In all honesty, there is some food served at CCV that we do not find appetizing, however, there is always something at every meal that we find appealing to eat and we have never gone hungry at any meal. CCV is not five star cuisine, however, in our opinion, there is not a place in CA or the Carribean that has food as good as the US. We rate the food as average. Honestly, food seemed identical to previous trips.

Diving Operation - Addressing some issues seen in previous posts, the night strobe was always available and working, the tanks were full, nitrox was available, and we were constantly asked if we needed anything and staff was very flexible about us switching boats if we wanted to go on specific dives. Staff was friendly and always available. All in all, the diving was as good as always and this, in our opinion, is what CCV is all about. We love the freedom to dive when we want and the many good options available as shore dives. Our one observation is that some of the boats and faciliities are starting to show a little wear and tear and need some minor repair. No big deal, and nothing worse than you would see anywhere else, but CCV dive boats and facilities were always pristine in our prior visits and they we more "normal" now. What we are really saying here is that we are comparing CCV now to CCV past and not other facilities. They are still just as good as other facilities we have been to in the past.

Diving - good visibility and good diving. We did get sick of watching amatuer photographers beat the crap out of the reefs trying to get pictures. The divemasters tried their best to control this, but we had a lot of shutterbugs on our boat and it was impossible to control them all.

Facilities - same as always. We did like having the internet cafe, so we could communicate with the homefront via e-mail.

We had a great week of diving at CCV. We guess if you are looking for a total vacation experience of dining, drinking, partying, and diving you could probably do better elsewhere (in fact, you would be better off at Cozomel vs. Roatan). However, if you love to dive and want to get in a lot of high quality diving, CCV is about the best we have seen. Understand, however, that we do not consider a morning and afternoon boat dive with an occasional night dive to be a great diving vacation.

Hope this helps someone.....

Thanks so much for your recent report. We leave in 6 days, so this is timely. I suppose I'm a bit on the cautious side, being in the medical industry. As a result, I got my typhoid and Hepatitis A shot, along with malaria pills. I know it can't hurt. Thanks again for the post.

For anyone interested, we just returned from CocoView this week and would like to report that the diving was excellent, the staff very friendly, the food acceptable, and nobody to our knowledge got sick. We ate absolutely everything, but did stay away from the tap water. I agree with previous reports that this is a great destination for anyone who puts diving as their top priority in a vacation. It was not uncommon to see folks getting in 30 dives in the 6 days!

Glad you braved all of the internet bashing and ventured to this diving Mecca CoCo View!

When I go there, I have noticed the distinctive odor of Chlorination coming from the tap water, still, like you, I don't drink it. There is that 5 gallon jug with pumper spout in each room of commercial bottled water. I use that in the plastic pitcher and cups for tooth brushing etc at the bathroom sink.

I would say 30 dive in a week's stay is staying wet- I try to make that total, but there are considerations such as sleep.

For the typical diver, you get your first dive in on Sunday morning. (or the first full day) If you hustle, you can get in three more plus a night dive, so it will continue all week at 5 per day- if you don't mind the constant moistness!

If you have a regular week, that means a total of 5 dive days, plus maybe you can squeeze in some on the last day (Friday AM). You can easily do 27 per week if you have the drive and buddy that keeps you awake. 30 is really hitting it hard!

I have done this many in a week but because of the shallower profiles and surface intervals, I have done it on compressed air and not borthered with NitrOx.

Glad you had a good time. I heard that all the "captains were off the deck" and at DEMA with the exception of Erin. Seems like the place survived!

You're right--a lot of fill-in staff last week, but it didn't seem to matter. Have you been to DEMA before? I participated every year from '86-'92 as an exhibitor, but haven't been back since. I miss the excitement!

Yeah, I go every six years, whether I need it or not.

On Wednesday (the first day). exhibitors asked me, "How's the show?". At about Noon O'Clock I started answering honestly, "Boring".

Maybe (?) I'm jaded, but it all boils down to sucking air and moving your legs. I have directed my attention at DEMA to other areas than most people. Such as:

#1) What are the new destinations in this world that are being marketed? (Or newly marketed to the US audience)

#2) What operations have reinvented themselves, either by renaming or repackaging- and why?

#3) Which booth has the best use of hotties? (Solar Suits)

#4) Which booth had the wierdest stuff? (Two fin booths in the 2600 aisle that had peculiar prototype-esque flipper things)

#5) Which booth had the wierdest thing that really might have a use? (Travel Fin flipper paddle inseerts for sandals)

#6) Which booth had items of no particular use? (The pleasant Japaneese people with objects unidentifiable to most visitors including a $500 James Bond "AIR FIN" bail out bottle)

#7) Worst juxtaposition of two booths? (REEF conservation and SHARK ByProducts Inc)

#8) Most peculiar seminar (The National Geographic PADI offering)

What were you there (in the past) selling?

Very funny description of DEMA! I worked for TEKNA in the 80's, as their Int'l Sales Manager. When the company was sold in '90, I got out shortly thereafter. I'm sure if I went back to DEMA, I would still recognize lots of folks. I miss the people most but there was no long term career in it for me. I moved on to the telecom industry and now the drug industry!

I did T&E on Tekna manufactured products around that time frame, in particular I tried to destroy (with only moderate success) their lighting system that clipped onto the eye-bridge of their masks. The US Military and NASA were interested and became buyers and users of that product. Tekna also made one of the first successful plastic dive lights with a simple bezel compression switch, and the revolutionary knife & sheath system - all of which were either stolen by or licensed to Dacor for production and marketing.

I, like you, then went on to work for telecom companies (Bell Labs and related corporations, JPL etc) and then just decided that selling drugs was way much more fun. Co-inky-dink?

I think we must have met. I met and married my wife at a DEMA show, she was a "Fathom" wetsuit model. Just something about a gal in a tight rubber suit---- She had the good sense to leave after a few years- just before I hit the State Lottery. :wink:

I'll be in Roatan at CCV Nov15 thru22.
First time there.. I'll let ya know what I think
(I expect I will love it..going on trip with lds...owner of lds has been there 13 times and keeps going back)
I also have to sign a release form that will not hold him responsible for addiction to Roatan!

It won't hold up in any Honduran Court- but then again, what will? :mean:

Back
Top Bottom