cold water weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heffey:
I am in the middle of preparation for my first cold water dive this weekend. My LDS suggested that since my BC is weight integrated that I use both my weight belt and my BC weights to spread out the load a bit.
How many of you cold water divers do this? Anyone have any opposing views?

In answer to your question, I spread out my weight. Some is on a belt, some is in the bc's integrated dumpable pouches and some is in the bc's integrated non-dumpable pouches.

Michael

Here's an indication:

I dive the St-Lawrence (Prescott, Brockville, etc)

I wear a 7 mil suit with 7 mil core warmer.

In addition to my backplate (4#), I need 20# in my pouches.

I'm 6', 240#.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I'm still a n00b... :D

YMMV...

m3830431:
Why? you still have dumpable withs in the integrated BCD
It is an interesting point because it is something that needs to be taken into consideration before removing your BCD in the water. Let’s just say that it would be quite a surprise to inflate your BC and then watch as it sinks out of sight. It may be an easy issue to deal with as long as you are aware of the possible problems from the beginning.

Hi all,

This is good stuff but it would be even better if we could completely state our configuration and enviornment. Yes if you're from Indiana the fesh water is a safe guess but others a ???

Like.... For my first open water dives I dove with 28 pounds on my belt while using an E7-80 cylinder. I was wearing a 7mm fill suit and a 5/3 hooded vest in salt water.
It seemed to work and I was happy to be under 30 pounds first time out though the cylinder did help. Unfortuanetely we didn't take time to do the classic bobbing with 500 PSI test that time but we'll make a point of doing so next time.

I had arrived at weight by getting neutral in a swimming pool in the same gear then adding 10 pounds for salt water buoyancy and air depletion. I look forward to dropping more with experience.

BTW I'm 5-9, 202LB and the exposure protection is Bare XL

Pete

Back
Top Bottom