Coldest dive sites in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crater Lake, Oregon (national park service page here) is not the coldest lake (it is the deepest in the US), but when I dove it this July the water was 42F at the surface, with air temp over 100.

I checked out the nps.gov page on Crater Lake. It looks like a really stunning spot. I'd love to travel there and even better - dive it! Consider yourself privileged as you have access to such a beautiful place.

LGH (far, far away from the Pacific coast :))

Hands getting cold is a difference, at lower temps you better have dry gloves. Free flow is BS, there are bulletproof regs that will ever freeflow (unless the suffer a first stage seat problem or other mechanical failure) as long as proper procedures are followed. ScubaPro just doesn't happen to head that list....

... I have never seen a Cyclon 300, a Sherwood Magnum Blizard, or an AGA, freeflow from cold. Hell ... I used to dive Oceanic Omega and Omega IIs up there and I'd come out of the water with an iceball the size of a grapefruit around the first stage ... but no freeflow.
Your statement is not quite fair nor entirely accurate. The MK 25 is indeed a poor choice for cold water but people seem to make the mistake of associating that with all SP regs. That is not the case. (Of course it does not help that SP pushes the POS Mk 25 as its premier first stage.)

- The MK 5, MK 10 and Mk 15 first stages with SPEC kits were basically bullet proof in cold water as long as the silicone in the SPEC kit was topped off mid season. I got the same level of reliability with the Mk 20 using MK 15 SPEC boots and dove them for years. A few times at the end of an ice dive I tried to provoke a freeflow with an extended full blown purge, but could never get the first stage to freeze flow.

- Poseiden or other first stages using alcohol or silicone oil have the same limitation as a SPEC sealed SP reg in that they are only effective if they are well maintained. In my experience both alcohol and silicone oil filled ambient chambers are prone to leaks over wide temperature extremes.

- The sherwood air bleed system works very well as long as you do not make a rapid descent that exceeds tha ability of the sytem to maintain a dry ambient chamber.

- The current Mk 17 is also extremely relaible in cold water and is dry sealed requiring no mid year maintainence. It also survived high flow rates at 165 ft for 200 minutes in 35 degree water - the only first stage of any manufacture to do so.

- All single hose second stages are prone to freeze flows in near freezing water if the flow rates are high enough and the internal parts get wet. More metal will improve heat transfer and is always a plus in cold water. The same thing applies to an Aga with the chief advantage being that the reg tends to stay drier inside. Of course if you get a freeze flow, life gets interesting if you have to change shut down a post and switch to a backup mask underwater.

- Double hose regs have by design both first and second stages that are dry sealed and in addition the large cans provide superb heat exchange. Consequently, they are, depsite the age of the general design, the most bullet proof cold water regs you can find.

With regard to dry gloves, they are not required even on extended ice dives. The critical issue is the core temp. If your core temp starts to fall due to inadequate insulation, your body restricts bloodflow to the extremities and dry gloves or not your hands will get cold. Conversely if you keep your core warm, your hands stay warm even in wet gloves. I routinely use good quality 5mm neoprene gloves on ice dives. Use newer gloves that are not yet leaking badly in the seams and use gloves that fit you properly along with adequate dry suit insulation and your hands will do fine.

The way to avoid the 'ice cream headache from hell' is to use a henderson ice cap. Henderson Ice Cap NH30N with reviews at scuba.com It is a 2mm hood that you wear under your regular hood. Since I started using one of these, no more headaches.

It even worked well when I dove in Antarctica. BTW the water there was 30F, and we were doing 45min bottom times with dry gloves and the double hood.

TxIceDiver

Cold? Not really ... this is Seattle. Puget Sound will only get down to about 43 degrees ... right now the water temp is about 48. Air's a bit colder though. Getting into and out of the dive gear was a bit nippy ...

SnowPics0032.jpg

On Saturday the air temp was in the teens ... the water was steaming ...

foggywater.jpg

chengredondo.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The way to avoid the 'ice cream headache from hell' is to use a henderson ice cap.
TxIceDiver

Randy..... I still have the one you gave me several years back......on occasion I even wear it. :wink:

Cold?...I just got back from Key Largo. Water temp was a frigid 75 deg LOL.
I was diving a 3mm shorty, but one lady on our boat was in a full dry suit...im hoping because she was training and not cold.

Hands getting cold is a difference, at lower temps you better have dry gloves. Free flow is BS, there are bulletproof regs that will ever freeflow (unless the suffer a first stage seat problem or other mechanical failure) as long as proper procedures are followed. ScubaPro just doesn't happen to head that list..

Well hate to disagree with you on this but the possibilities of free flow is always a consideration when Ice diving no BS, hey if free flow is not a consideration for you thats great, for your info I dive with Apeks XTX 200 regs as do most of my buddies. We live in and dive in these conditions for 4 months every year so have a idea of what we are talking about again no BS intended.

Suggest you read this link so you can see that free flows do happen, even to a very experienced diver with top of the line training and equipment, His regs went into freeflow (News paper states failed) he lost consciousness as his air inlet valve to his drysuit froze open (a form of freeflow) became to buoyant accended to fast at hit his head on the ice.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=a1c71376-0cdc-492d-8d87-84a66bbc2ad6&k=41240

In my opinion thinking you are immune to these situations due to training, experience and I got the best equipment syndrome will bite you in the a..s when you least expect it (let be clear the diver in this article did not have this syndrome).

Last edited:
Perhaps I was unclear, let me address it from the opposite side. I've been on many expeditions into the Arctic, water does not get any colder than it is there, I have never seen regulators that were properly handled freeflow. Every case of freeflow that we experienced could be quickly and easily traced to a clear error on the part of the diver involved, typically this was either having fresh water in the regulator as a result of improper washing, or breathing off the regulator before it was submerged.

We had a real comedy of errors once when an entire team of divers (who had been trained to do a giant stride with their regulators in their mouth, and would not listen) jumped off the side of the ship, and froze up almost instantly. They had to scrub their planned dive, and when ship time is running $12,000.00 a day that's a major error.

How about a problem with the air fills high moisture content? I believe salt water freezes at the same temp regardless of geographical location. As for a group on a 12,000.00 ice diving charter in the Artic and not knowing the basics of ice diving, well what can I say.

Giant stride of the side of the boat better not miss that hole ;-}

Last edited:
How about a problem with the air fills high moisture content? I believe salt water freezes at the same temp regardless of geographical location. As for a group on a 12,000.00 ice diving charter and not knowing the basics of ice diving, well what can I say ;-}
Air fills are always as dry as they can possibly be. IR K-15 with Delmonix filters.

Salt water's freezing point is an inverse function of salinity, up to about a half degree C: calculator.

As to why the incident occurred, there are times when it is better for a supervisor to let something stupid happen. If you can keep anyone from getting hurt it is a good solution to bullheadedness. It tends to make those who suffer the problem a bit more cooperative in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom