Coldest dive sites in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brrrrrrrrr.....this thread is out of my league. Think I'll grab some hot coffee and head over to the Cozumel forum.

-warmwaterwimp

The difference between -2C and +5C really means very little, actually it means little till about +10C when you start considering a wet suit.
Kinda like the difference between -30 and -whatever more than thirty on land. After -30, it's just ****ing cold. Doesn't matter what the number is. Although, around -40 something magical happens. -40F is the same as -40C - and about that time, your tires freeze into place and you have a flat spot from where it was sitting on the ground overnight - for about 10 minutes or so when your tires warm up from driving :)

As per the pict above - hey, I like your dive triangle "hole". Very...um....new ageish :)

Kinda like the difference between -30 and -whatever more than thirty on land. After -30, it's just ****ing cold. Doesn't matter what the number is.

I took it the opposite way, the implication being there's no significant difference between -2C and +5C because it's assumed one has sufficient thermal protection.

With just a few modifications, one can be comfortably warm for 60 minutes or more in the coldest water.

I love it that water temps don't matter anymore! :)

However, now it's the surface conditions or plain laziness that make me call a dive....still a wuss! :shakehead:

Dave C

Hands getting cold is a difference, at lower temps you better have dry gloves. Free flow is BS, there are bulletproof regs that will ever freeflow (unless the suffer a first stage seat problem or other mechanical failure) as long as proper procedures are followed. ScubaPro just doesn't happen to head that list.

I've used wet suits (of proper design: 9mm, skin two sides, GN-231N, attached hood, no zippers, farmer johns, elbow high 3 finger mitts, knee high booties, etc.) up under the Arctic ice, no problem what-so-ever. I have never seen a Cyclon 300, a Sherwood Magnum Blizard, or an AGA, freeflow from cold. Hell ... I used to dive Oceanic Omega and Omega IIs up there and I'd come out of the water with an iceball the size of a grapefruit around the first stage ... but no freeflow.

I would not call that typical issue recreational heavy cold water wet gear--lol. As to problems.....you may of been so num that you were not aware of the pending problems.....your body starts to take a beating in those conditions.

ALL regulators can free flow under most any cold water/weather condition....proper protocols for use are your only protection and that is not 100%.

Consider yourself lucky so far....it's all a game of numbers.

Looks like wetsuits, no gloves, possibly no booties........and an awful lot of distance from one's buddy in very deep water.

Cold water, 7C, very mild current, 4 dives during a week end last November. What made it special: an average of 2 hours in the water with 90 minutes bottom time each. Surface temp minus 11 with some wind coming from the river.

I never appreciated a surface interval so much and the French onion soup served at the Rockport Boathouse Country Inn.

I would not call that typical issue recreational heavy cold water wet gear--lol. As to problems.....you may of been so num that you were not aware of the pending problems.....your body starts to take a beating in those conditions.

ALL regulators can free flow under most any cold water/weather condition....proper protocols for use are your only protection and that is not 100%.

Consider yourself lucky so far....it's all a game of numbers.
I've got the numbers to say that with the right choice of gear and simple but careful procedures, free flow really is a non-issue.

That kind of suit was rather standard recreational gear a while back. Dry suits do work better today. A suit of that design is really a "semi-dry" and since it is "skin" two sided it can be fit very, very closely without any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom