Coldwater Diving:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aurora Resavoir, Aurora Colorado, Nice sunny day Air 72F / Water 42F. Good vis 10', 30' depth for 20 min. We just wanted to dive on the way to the Rockies.

5mm farmer john, no equipment problems, but I will throw out the 3mm booties for cold water...burrrrr.

36F in the open pits in Crosby last fall doing a "deep dive" of 91 feet for aow. the day after final OW dive..:crawl: with a new never befor seen Buddy:stupid:

About 38-40 degrees. Tacoma Washington January 2nd 2000. I remember it well! I usually dive water between 45 and 55 year round up here. Warm water here is 55!

Scott

I have to agree with Jen, nothing beats the nice cold great lakes. The first year I dove year round wet.......then somone hit me with a shovel

Not necessarily the coldest but interesting......July 25, 2000, that's right JULY people......Long Point, Lake Erie on the wreck of the ST. James @ 170 ffw...42 deg F.............

First week of August, 2001, Rimouski, Quebec........Empress of Ireland 38 deg F @ depth..............42 deg F at the deco stops......I can still remember how cold it was.......;-0

voodoogas_diver:D

32 degrees at 70 fsw at Nubble Light in Maine, while wearing a wet suit (Henderson Gold Core / one piece )

Yah it was cold. …………..Arduous

For me only 46 degrees in a Henderson Gold Core Farmer John suit. I wasn't the slightest bit cold. I think I could dive in that suit down into the mid 30's and be ok for a single tank dive. Of course I'd like to get a drysuit someday but...I don't have the cabbage for one right now.:eek:ut:

Coldest water I ever dove in was 34F in a quarry outside Toronto called Innerkip. (AKA Innerkrap)

It was Dec 2/94 & it was my IE... so I didn't have a choice! Vis was about 3'... the IE had to literally hang over your shoulder to see what you were doing. :blind:

I was wearing my former drysuit: a 1/4" neoprene Wardell. My body was ok, but my head & hands were cold despite the 1/4" neoprene plus hot water poured in the gauntlets & hood prior to the dives. Several wetsuit divers were so cold they failed on their first attempt at the Rescue Scenario & had to get out, warm up, and try again. You could see people visibly shivering underwater!

Thankfully, no equipment problems... my Blizzard reg behaved like a champ!

~SubMariner~

Submariner

Innerkrap...................that's funny:D

3 ft vis........you were there on a good day.... went there once a couple or three years ago.....haven't been back since.

Septic tanks are deeper and have better vis.:eek:

voodoogas_diver

Coldest I ever recorded was 48F in 40fsw last June at Folly Cove, Gloucester, MA

I know I've been in colder water before...just didn't have a computer along on those dives......

:eek:
Coldest dive I ever did was in a quarry Germany in 1975,....... ofcourse we had it tough in those days (none of your wussyboy global warming to take the edge off things).

The guages read 3 degrees Celsius water temperature 2 m2tres below the ice, and the surface Temperature (not including wind chill factor) was MINUS 14 degrees Celcius.

It was so cold that when we spoke our words froze into little crystal ice cubes which we later defrosted over the hearth so we could hear what was said.

I remember finding 2 little brown cubes in the left foot of my British Army dry-suit. My curiosity got the better of me so I put them on the hearth above the fire to defrost. After a couple of minutes they went "Poot, Poot!"

Now that's cold

...... and you tell that to the kids of today and they wont believe you, they wont:wink:

Aquamore

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom