Colors and visability underwater...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on you environment. Black shows up well in a cave (contrast to white walls), yet doesn't show up well at all in the ocean. I typically don't care, as I stay near my buddy anyways.

my daughter has yellow/black fins and they show up well even deep. This is great as it is easier for me to keep track of her.

It is always a good idea to know what color your buddy is wearing - when underwater and everyone is in black you can end up following the wrong person sometimes! In warm water, my hubby always wears a light colored bandana (www.dee-rags.com) on his head so I know where he is.

I guess in this case it really is a fashion statement (hood color choice) -- My motto: "What colors does it come in??" But hey, if I'm going to get a "color," it might as well be one that will show up, right? Anyway, thanks for all the great feedback! I think I'm going with fluoro-orange. :thumb:

I prefer to be a ninja diver! But my mares has lines of grey. I have painted silver reflecent sharks on the bottom of my fins, so everyone knows who is in front of them!

Carolyn:sharks:
Ps: since I am diving with sharks, the paperwork from my upcoming shark dives stated not to wear yellow or white due to the fact that does attract some species to take a closer look at ya. :D

Last edited:
LIVES4SHARKS, yellow & white can attract sharks? I watched the MythBusters "Shark Week" special recently and they did show that lights underwater can attract sharks.

What kind of paint did you use on your fins? How permanent is it? That sounds like a cool idea!

Wait, wait...

This thread should have ended with Gene's post...instead, it seems to have just passed it by.

What kind of paint did you use on your fins? How permanent is it? That sounds like a cool idea!

Just a simple metallic paint from a craft store. I touch it up every so often. It also helps to identify your fins on a dive boat if someone has the same colory or style.

carolyn:sharks:

This is reviving a really old thread, but bright yellow and green definitely works well at depths and inside wrecks. I had a lime green/yellow striped bikini , yellow fins and a yellow mask on a dive to the compressor room in the Fujikawa Maru in Truk and the colors showed up really well in pics. Even visited R2D2 at 130' and posed next to it while hubby snapped pictures - given that the strobe helped alot to bring out the colors in my bikini, that room is pretty dark but the yellow and green definitely stood out.On our return to the boat, I posed next to the mast using only natural light, and those colors still stood out.
In contrast, I also dove the Shinkoku in a red bikini, and it looked almost black in even 40 feet. That's my profile picture - we were near the bridge at about 60 feet and the red, even with a strobe, is gone.
Stick with bright yellow and green if you want to be seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom