Combining Sudafed and Afrin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy once bubbled...
You may want to check into the effects of using Sudafed and Afrin and using nitrox or higher O2 mixes. The last person I knew that did is now dead. Not sure if that caused his seizures, but it would be something to maybe check into. I believe that DAN has some reports on the subject, or maybe one of the docs here will know.

No one can, of course, comment with any accuracy without seeing the autopsy report on the case mentioned by Wendy, and, perhaps, not even then, given all the possiblilties.

There is anecdotal evidence, and the beginnings of some research on the subject, however, to indicate that some drugs, such as Sudafed, may potentiate problems in a subject (diver) exposed to high PPO2. We talked about this in my DMT course, but, again, I do not know of any hard research on this subject.

DAN does have some information, but, perhaps, Doc Vikingo will know if any definitive studies exist. I will check with some of the researchers I know, and report back.

Doc???? :rolleyes:

I have to agree with several posters above. Afrin and some of the other nose sprays out there are very addictive. I have a relative that is addicted to afrin. He can't go more than a couple hours without using it. I stay away from it.

Never had any trouble with sudafed but I don't ever take it for more than a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom