Coming to Monterrey, Need cheap lodging!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PG is Pacific Grove.

And, as someone pointed out, that is www.craigslist.com

craiglist will take you to a site most people don't want to go to. Apologies for the typo.

JimLap:
Found a good rate at the Motel 6 in Salinas. 240 bucks for 4 nights. 20-30 minute drive but to save 150 plus is worth it to me. Rental car is 125. Ticket to San Francisco- round trip- 70 bucks thanks to miles. Non-stop. Will be arriving 26th, diving on saturday. Getting tank(s) from Glen's. Gonna try to get in base billeting but since I can only reserve 7 days in advance this is a good fallback. The travel lodge was 69 for thurs and sunday(divers rate) 139 for fri and sat (divers rate blacked out for that weekend)! Hope to meet some of you all there at the breakwater.

North or South Salinas? The Motel 6 in south Salinas is in a relatively quiet part of town by the airport with relatively easy freeway access to HW 68 and Monterey - if tourist season is out of control in Monterey, this is my last option, but a decent one. Just be sure to bring extra pillows and some decent towels.

I won't stay in the North Salinas Motel 6.

In my opinion, when shopping for hotels on the Monterey peninsula, www.orbitz.com is your friend. I've been coming from three hours away to dive Monterey for many years and I've never found one place that consistently reasonable, all the time, hence the need for Orbitz. The Carmel Hill Lodge on Munras, just across from the Del Monte Shopping center however, is usually available midweek and during off months for 40-60 per night. I've been using them for the last few months on my dive weekends, but they're about to triple their rates, along with seemingly every other hotel in Monterey-Pacific Grove-Carmel as tourist season begins.

Happy hunting!

coreypenrose:
North or South Salinas? The Motel 6 in south Salinas is in a relatively quiet part of town by the airport with relatively easy freeway access to HW 68 and Monterey - if tourist season is out of control in Monterey, this is my last option, but a decent one. Just be sure to bring extra pillows and some decent towels.

I won't stay in the North Salinas Motel 6.

In my opinion, when shopping for hotels on the Monterey peninsula, www.orbitz.com is your friend. I've been coming from three hours away to dive Monterey for many years and I've never found one place that consistently reasonable, all the time, hence the need for Orbitz. The Carmel Hill Lodge on Munras, just across from the Del Monte Shopping center however, is usually available midweek and during off months for 40-60 per night. I've been using them for the last few months on my dive weekends, but they're about to triple their rates, along with seemingly every other hotel in Monterey-Pacific Grove-Carmel as tourist season begins.

Happy hunting!

This one is at 140 Kern St. US101/ElCamino Real at Market St. if that helps. Don't know if tourist season is big at that time in Monterey but I'll be damned if I'll spend 69 bucks for a room one night and 140 the next 2 only to have it drop down to 69 the last. That's a crock. I just need a place to lay my head and shower in my own room.

JimLap:
This one is at 140 Kern St. US101/ElCamino Real at Market St. if that helps. Don't know if tourist season is big at that time in Monterey but I'll be damned if I'll spend 69 bucks for a room one night and 140 the next 2 only to have it drop down to 69 the last. That's a crock. I just need a place to lay my head and shower in my own room.

Yeah, that's Salinas north. You're right, hotels in Monterey right now are a pain in the rear and Salinas is an affordable option. Good luck.

Actually when I stayed in Monterey, I used Knights Inn motel which is cheap for $50 dollars or something. Wasn't that fancy, but was good for a bed and had internet access too.

Hubby and I just located a motel to stay in called the Gateway Thunderbird Motel on Fremont Blvd., Seaside. We got Friday night room for $65 and Saturday for $75. We haven't stayed there yet but with a name like "Thunderbird" it has to at least fit the 1950's campy Americana type lodging that will certainly suffice after a long day of diving! I'm sure the room will probably come with a bed. Good enough for us.

We have stayed at the Travelodge mentioned before on N. Fremont and had a rate of $55 per night. But that was in February. We tried to get a room there but they were sold out for this weekend. So we opted for the "Thunderbird".

Good Luck!

Ben_ca:
Jim,
Have your kid check into billeting on base... there should be plenty of time to make reservations... the rooms should be affordable... It might be a pain getting the passes for the rental car and your visotor pass but then again it'll make up for it in the savings...

Option 2 Try the Travel lodge on Freemont... ask for the diver rate... I think it's about 79 on weekends... (normally much higher)...

Good luck maybe we'll see you out here

Edit: Presidio of Monterey Billeting info

Just heard... Change of ownership at Travel Lodge... There is NO more diver discount and prices are up into the 200 range... In the past this was a diver's favorite but now I cannot recommend staying here anymore because of the high price.

zen_man:
Hubby and I just located a motel to stay in called the Gateway Thunderbird Motel on Fremont Blvd., Seaside. We got Friday night room for $65 and Saturday for $75. We haven't stayed there yet but with a name like "Thunderbird" it has to at least fit the 1950's campy Americana type lodging that will certainly suffice after a long day of diving! I'm sure the room will probably come with a bed. Good enough for us.

We have stayed at the Travelodge mentioned before on N. Fremont and had a rate of $55 per night. But that was in February. We tried to get a room there but they were sold out for this weekend. So we opted for the "Thunderbird".

Good Luck!
I stayed at the Gateway Thunderbird a few weeks ago. It was just fine for a no-frills classic cheap motel. Clean, decent bed, small fridge and microwave. Maybe a little noisy but my room was right next to the laundry area.

Ben_ca:
Just heard... Change of ownership at Travel Lodge... There is NO more diver discount and prices are up into the 200 range... In the past this was a diver's favorite but now I cannot recommend staying here anymore because of the high price.

Okey got the low down from the guys at the desk... There is a list of blackout dates for the diver rate... one of them is the Big Sur Marathon... So ask and confirm when you make your reservation that you are getting the diver rate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom