Comment about Dive in Spiegel Grove on 3/5/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justme7628

Reaction score
Hello There,

Not sure if this is the place for this. But here it goes. Last Sunday (3/5/06) I was with a buddy diving the Spiegel Grove with Tavernier Dive Center. There were other boats in the area from Ocean Divers, Silent World Diving and some other boats. Because of the number of divers in the wreck I figured I would leave a marker clipped to the bottom of the mooring to make it easy to tell when the first group was out of the water and to also mark the location of the boat so we would not come up a different mooring.

Well to my surprise (or not so surprise) when I went in for my second dive someone else had taken the marker off (it was a yellow Maracca on a brass clip). I understand if you find something at the bottom of the wreck or on the sand, but I don't understand if something is deliberately clipped on the down line. Removing a marker could cause problems for other fellow divers.

Your thoughts,

I was also on the Spiegel on 3/05...and yes it SHOULD be customary and just plain polite to leave a marker. In fact I was on one of the "other" operators boats that was accused of taking the marker. Why would a capt. track down another operators boat and start accusing people????

MsParamedic:
I was also on the Spiegel on 3/05...and yes it SHOULD be customary and just plain polite to leave a marker. In fact I was on one of the "other" operators boats that was accused of taking the marker. Why would a capt. track down another operators boat and start accusing people????

Perhaps because he was trying to find out who had violated custom to ask them to return missing item and to refrain from practice of removing them in the future. Sounds like a captain doing his job above and beyond.

Perhaps he should have also taken into consideration to what divers/boats were in close proximity to his divers (crane vs stern). Its in the past....I didn't take it, no one on our boat took it---and we all had a good laugh at it. A tad of professionalism would have went a long way for this captain!

The issue he approached the operator was because they were the closest to us to the stern and they were the last to leave. He also approached another private boat that was to our bow. Both were in our way back to the dock so he stopped to ask. We didn't pass the other operators that were further ahead.

As you said its in the past, and the marker is not worth making a big deal of it. But I brought it up to make people aware about removing markers that are obviously placed on down lines.

I hope you enjoyed the wreck as much as we did!

The current was RIPPING this weekend too. Our boat had two divers come up on the wrong ball and had to hold on until the rest of the boat was loaded. I think those guys have one arm longer than the other now.
BTW is Ocean divers the boat that is an ugly green and all the tank necks are painted the same color? I could not get a good look at the transom to read it.

This example its a maraca.... Far worse things have happened andits a sad commentary on our society. Every year you hear stories of divers O2 bottles, reels, spools, etc being stolen from inside the cave zone at Ginnie...

You'd think people would understand some of this stuff is being considered 'life support'. Some people just dont get it.

MsParamedic:
Perhaps he should have also taken into consideration to what divers/boats were in close proximity to his divers (crane vs stern). Its in the past....I didn't take it, no one on our boat took it---and we all had a good laugh at it. A tad of professionalism would have went a long way for this captain!

"would have GONE a long way"

A tad bit of English grammar.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom