Common Practice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have NEVER claimed ive seen more than Thall have overall, ive said that im quite sure I have seen more than Thall have IN NORWAY!

okay...I must have missed that, my bad.

But really, the fact that a cop might ask me questions doesn't affect what I do, if it's legal, that is all I am saying.

Thalassamania:
Be as sure as you want, your wrong on several counts.

No one has to explain anything to the police unless they suspect foul play and then, in point of fact, the suspect only have to explain it to a Grand Jury unless the suspect chooses to stand behind his or her Fifth Amendment right to not incriminate them self. That's the way it works in the USA.
(emphasis added)

I'd have to say, that's the way it is supposed to work but in this day and age, I don't really think it works that way anymore --at least not for average Americans.

It is truly tragic.

Jeff

True, but I was talking about the local police rather than agents of the Department for the Protection of the Fatherland.

It is truly tragic.

yes..but I am referring to civil suits.--now that is frightening.

Thal...you cannot really mean that the Homeland Security is causing you any problems, can you?

Lets not give the government too much credit.---they cannot spy on us because they are too overwhelmed and confused. Please, anybody that has dealt with the government knows they don't know what they are doing enough to be a threat, in any intentional way.

Are they dangerous? I think so...but only in a bumbling inadvertant way.

Like chasing me down the pier the other day--big woo, the guy was illiterate. Just give them the power they seek and don't insult them. We have guys here training their 30 cals on you, just to warn you not to be 500 yards from a "cruise ship" when it's just a dumb dinner boat. They do not know what they are doing out there.
Somebody is sending out some memos, and the people getting the memos cannot read.
I just ignore the government, honestly. Homeland Security is a big farce from what I see. Absolutely nothing has change materially, let's not kid ourselves.

catherine96821:
I just ignore the government, honestly.

Paris Hilton took a similar approach....you're just a renegade!

David K

Just a thought…in general, I’ve no idea what level of competency the people the OP spoke of appeared to have.
Isn’t it common here to express negative views re certification in that a card does not make a good diver? The deplorable lack of training required to be certified? How is it equally assumed a person cannot have good training independent of an agency?

And another thought…anyone notice Tigerman is certified, but has no dives? *giggle* How did he get certified without any dives? Gee, is that how it is done in Norway?

Sorry Tigerman, :D couldn’t resist...

redrover:
And another thought…anyone notice Tigerman is certified, but has no dives? *giggle* How did he get certified without any dives? Gee, is that how it is done in Norway?

Sorry Tigerman, :D couldn’t resist...
Anything can be bought if you have a creditcard.. DOH

Tigerman:
Anything can be bought if you have a creditcard.. DOH
:D

Hey...am I guilty of inadequate attention to detail or are you now not certified?

DocWong:
I was in Zihuatanejo, Mexico earlier this year. Got to a dive shop and got on a dive boat with my buddy and 2 other divers. As we were gearing up, the other 2 divers asked me if we were going to need to do decompression since they have never been to 90 feet before. Hm...I started getting suspicious.

Turns out that the came to the dive shop and have done resort "discover scuba" type dives before but told the dive operator that they were not certified and was answered with a "do you want to dive?" question. They reiterated that they were not certified and got the same reply. I only found out after the days diving.

I've noticed in several dive shops, I was never asked to show my certification card.

So I don't think it's that uncommon to see uncertified divers diving.

Scuba is a relatively safe sport given the amount of dives and mistakes made that don't end up as tragedies.
hey what shop was this with

btw, in mexico an instructor can take anyone diving to the rec limit, a fullcave diver can take an aow cavern diving if both are correctly outfitted,

si it works that way, but not in any way of technical diving and only if the superior guy is willing to, often after a little incentive and a legal waiver

Back
Top Bottom