Complacency can hit ANYBODY; or why you should NEVER hurry when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuff happens, sometimes it is small and inconsequential, other times it kills. Can we eliminate it, no, we have to expect it and guard against it as best we can but we are human and that is the main part of the problem.

It happens. I once posted a story about sucking my reg dry at 100 feet because I had 1) not checked the isolator valve (it was closed) and 2) not made the connection between my gauge (which I did check) not going down and something being amiss.

Pick yourself up, learn from it, and be better because of it. As the adage goes, learn from failure and confirm with success.

Thanks for your post Lynne. It's easy to get complacent on a dive that's above 60' that we do every week. What could possibly go wrong? :D It seems like when I'm in a rush is usually when I screw something up, crotch strap not attached, DS hose flopping behind me, weight belt still sitting on the tailgate, etc....

I guess I usually assume when I ask what tanks everybody is diving that they've also checked the pressure level. The funny thing is I did check Blaize's pressure because she's new and I haven't dove with her before. From now on if I'm leading the checks, I'll remember to call tank size and pressure. Thanks again for the reminder.

Jake

I will say this. You are human. Mistakes happen. This happened to you. You may think you are perfect but really you are not. Anything can happen to anyone. We need to open our eyes to failure and adjust accordingly...

You may also realize the system you are using does not work..you just proved it to yourself. Take this as a learning tool and fix it. Adjust it and make it better.

I have adjusted my check list on several occasions and my first rule above all..is to slow down no matter whom is waiting for me.
It is a good reminder..glad it was on a shallow dive and all was well.

I had an episode on a shallow dive last week...after my surface check list...I shut down my tank until I was ready to get into the water about a half hour after...Did my inwater check quickly ..had a quick chat called my pressure asked for a bubble check...slapped the reg in my mouth down I went...not two breathes later I had no air..checked my gauge and it was to 0!...was in 10 feet going to 60...let me say I was not a happy diver....I forgot to turn on my tank...go figure. reached back and turned that sucker on...That was the first time that ever happened. Will be the last time.

Safe dives

You were lucky. You were diving with a buddy who had tons of gas and found you had 1500 PSI in a 130 Cu Ft tank at 60 ft because you cut some corners. It could have been much worse.

I cut some corners on a solo dive on October 13, 1990 and ended up with 500 PSI in 140 cu ft at 120 ft with over 20 minutes of deco with the first stop at 30 ft. It was dusk, I didn't have a light, my computer wasn't back lit, I had a bloody fish on my stringer, there was a current, I missed the anchor line and had no idea where the boat might be.

I try not to cut corners anymore.

I nearly did the same thing last weekend myself. We got to the dive site and ALL of our tanks were half-full (or less). I have a habit of getting everything filled on thursdays, but had not done it because I was out of town. I completely spaced to the fact that my routine was broken.

Luckily my wife, who is the PITA in my diving life gauged the tanks immediately before attaching them to the bp/w, as is her habit. We had gas to dive, just not as much as we'd like, and we knew to be extra vigilant in checking pressure, as well as modified the plan to maximize our dive time. But it could easily have been much worse.

Thank you, Lynne, for posting your story. Relieved you were not hurt .

Well, the wonderful thing is that I wouldn't have been hurt anyway, because I had two buddies who DID have lots of gas, and both of them would donate a reg in a heartbeat, and it would have been a bit of an adrenaline rush but nothing more. But that's no excuse at all for letting it happen. A couple of weeks ago, I scolded a buddy for skipping checks, and got even more exercised at his answer that we had the skills to deal with anything that turned up untoward on descent.

I got a wake-up call, and luckily it cost me nothing but some pride here, and a scolding from my husband.

Good story, Lynne. We all slip up, many times over and over again.

We have checklists, but the two most important pre-dive items to consider aren't on our lists: These are:

1. Are You In A Hurry? and,
2. Is Anything Different?

Virtually every time I have a "Whoops", it is due to one of those reasons.

BTW, what does "twig" mean??? I didn't twig to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom