Completed Day 2 of my PADI OW Certification!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Finished Day 2 of the classroom portion of PADI OW cert!!!!!!

So today we finished up with the classroom portion of my PADI OW certification. We finished reviewing chapters 4 and 5 of the Open Water Manual. We spent a lot of time using and learning how to work the PADI eRDPmL. Figuring out NDL's, and pressure groups. Multiple dives in the same day and determining service intervals. We took the quick quiz after chapter four (Got 100%), and then we took our 50 question final right after we reviewed chapter 5. I got ONE question wrong on my final!!!! 98%!! I knew which question I got wrong too! I was so pissed...

We also filled out our paperwork to get free DAN+ Student coverage while doing our OW training. I was very happy to get this, because I do plan on becoming a DAN+ member and getting DAN+ coverage.

We also discussed what's beyond PADI OW. We covered a little bit of adventure diver, AOW, Deep Diver, and even a little bit about what you would look to do to go deeper than 130'.

So the classroom portion is done.

This Saturday we are in the pool for our first confined water dive. We started to talk equipment; mainly dive computers and SPG's. Still debating on whether or not I want to at least buy my reg, SPG, computer, and Alternate reg before we hit the lake on the 15th.

One step closer!!!!

04.gif

Congrats on the 98%... I myself did a 96% because I misread two of the questions. I was mad at myself too, but a passing grade is a passing grade!

Anyway, I wouldn't buy your new gear until after your OW dives. A buddy of mine did that, bought all brand new gear between the pool sessions and the OW dives and struggled. He was in a new environment, with new gear, and a new instructor. If nothing else, keeping the gear consistent helps you be a little more familiar with your environment... and you're not trying to figure out a new BCD that behaves differently than you're somewhat used to.

Either way, enjoy it! Those first breaths underwater are INCREDIBLE!

Congrats on the 98! SAME HERE!-One question wrong--and it was worded poorly--the instructor said she would've marked my answer right if it was in her power to do so. I would agree to hold off on new gear until certified, especially BCD if you were considering that. But buying all your own stuff quickly is the way to go IMO. You may want to rent some stuff a time or two to help you decide, though I didn't go that route and still use most of my original stuff. So go and enjoy the water part now.

I would agree to hold off on new gear until certified, especially BCD if you were considering that. But buying all your own stuff quickly is the way to go IMO.
I celebrated my OW by ordering my BCD.

If you want to get fancy and buy regulators, go ahead... they're not going to affect things much on your OW dives.

I've decided to wait on purchasing gear. At least my BCD and reg setup. I do think I will bite the bullet and buy a decent dive computer before my lake dives. I want to do a wrist style computer and have an SPG for my air. I'm not sold on the wireless technology for the wrist computers to provide air readings.

I'll probably rent for the first month or so, and see what I like and don't like. For a BCD I am leaning towards the Aqualung Axiom w/ I3. However, I want to support my LDS, and they don't sell Aqualung. They do sell Cressi and Oceanic though. Same thing for the reg and SPG.

In the pool tomorrow!!!!!!

I've decided to wait on purchasing gear. At least my BCD and reg setup. I do think I will bite the bullet and buy a decent dive computer before my lake dives. I want to do a wrist style computer and have an SPG for my air. I'm not sold on the wireless technology for the wrist computers to provide air readings.

I'll probably rent for the first month or so, and see what I like and don't like. For a BCD I am leaning towards the Aqualung Axiom w/ I3. However, I want to support my LDS, and they don't sell Aqualung. They do sell Cressi and Oceanic though. Same thing for the reg and SPG.

In the pool tomorrow!!!!!!
Sounds like you're thinking like I did. I bought my computer before my OW dives because this way ALL of my OW dives are logged in the memory. As long as it's not too fancy and you're not going to task load yourself just trying to figure it out. I bought a Mares Puck because of it's simplicity. I'll replace it in the future when I know more about my needs, and will use the Puck as a backup. I use an SPG as well, with a non-air integrated computer. For me, it's not worth the several hundred dollar upgrade.

Anyway, get some rest... you will be EXHAUSTED after your first day in the pool!

And enjoy those first breaths!

Sounds like you're thinking like I did. I bought my computer before my OW dives because this way ALL of my OW dives are logged in the memory. As long as it's not too fancy and you're not going to task load yourself just trying to figure it out. I bought a Mares Puck because of it's simplicity. I'll replace it in the future when I know more about my needs, and will use the Puck as a backup. I use an SPG as well, with a non-air integrated computer. For me, it's not worth the several hundred dollar upgrade.

Anyway, get some rest... you will be EXHAUSTED after your first day in the pool!

And enjoy those first breaths!

Thanks Tim!

I did some SNUBA in Cozumel back in February. Took about 5 minutes to acclimate, but I was good to go for about a 30 minute dive. I hope it's like riding a bike! I've also done some snorkeling recently so I hope that helps.

I was looking at the Suunto D6i or I'll start off with a Zoop (wrist) and go from there.

Last edited:
I'd say you might want to not buy anything but your personal items initially. I've seen too many new divers finish their OW course only to never use it again. Or maybe only use it while on tropical destination vacations. If that's the type of diving you will be doing, you might be better off just renting from those locations. On the other hand, if you are going to regularly dive and have the funds to buy the gear, you will be so happy you did since you will know every in and out compared to using different rental gear.

Hope you maintain the bug!

Day 3 of OW Certification is in the books!!!

So our first day in the pool was great. Breathing underwater felt like riding a bike. I felt no different breathing through my snorkel compared to my reg. Doing the SNUBA in Cozumel back in January definitely broke the mental barrier of breathing underwater.

The day started off with us doing some physical fitness tests. We put on our basic four piece and had to swim 12 lengths of this Olympic sized pool (maybe a little shorter). No hands, just feet. Since I am also training for Rugged Maniac, my leg strength and muscle endurance allowed me to breeze through that portion (finished first, but it wasn't a race
icosm14.gif
). Then we had to tread water for 10 minutes. Again, no problems there.

After that portion, we began to assemble our SCUBA assemblies. First time was step by step with the instructor. We first let some air out into our palm to smell the air for contaminants. We then had to visuallly inspect the o-ring in the valve. I saw mine had a little piece of extra rubber. I showed one of the instructors and he told me it was OK (I've worked on automotive A/C systems so I know a bad o-ring when I see one). I put the first stage on and attach the LP hose to the BC. I opened the valve, and can you guess what happened.... It was leaking from the o-ring!! Easy fix though.

Once we were in the water with our full setups on we started to go through different techniques. Simple breathing, clearing our reg, partial mask flood and clear, air share, fin pivot, five point ascent/decent, equalizing mask and ears, and free flowing reg. I found the fin pivot the hardest. Need to do a better job on buoyancy.

All in all it went very well. I didn't have to do any of my tests twice. I felt very comfortable in the water. The rest of my class will do day 2 tomorrow and I will be on a plane to Orlando. I will do day two of my pool dives on Friday when I get back.

I also realize now why everyone says to wait and buy gear. The reg I used had small exhaust ports. When we were upright underwater, every time I exhaled the bubbles would shake my mask and cause it to flood a little. SO ANNOYING!!!! I believe Atomic makes a reg with a longer side exhaust. I may look into that now.

Friday won't come fast enough!!!!!!

Good job. Classroom is one thing. Practical application is another. Not a world of diffence, its like college, theory is nice, but...

As for your gear, I strongly suggest waiting for everything. If you go to a dive shop, they will sell what they have in inventory. Not a bad thing, just saying. I would wait, see what other divers are using. See what configurations they have. Find out what type of diving they do to help determine your needs. You want regs and dive computer. I see you are in AZ so ice diving is probably not in your future, but some regs are better for ice than others. Do you want one that vents from the side or the bottom. Does the one you are looking at breathe when upside down or does it suck in water. You won't know until you ask and see what you like.

My dive computer is older. It is an Oceanic VT Pro. Is is a hoseless air integrated unit. I love it. I just make sure I carry extra batteries. Yes, sometimes it flashes because the receiver is not getting a signal. I just raise my hand over my head until I get a reading. No big deal.

Good luck Friday. Any more questions, just come on back.

Back
Top Bottom