Computer Algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69:
Robert,

Almost any of the quality computers will suffice. I don't know for certain if the Suunto and Uwatec units use the same algotrithm. Perhaps one of our readers who has experience with those computers can fill you in.

I might suggest the Oceanic Versa Pro. It is simple to use, has user-replaceable batteries, a good display, and does either air or Nitrox. It comes in at a good price point as well.

Cheers!

Rob Davie

As a Versa Pro diver, I agree with the above. Just remember that the Versa Pro uses a modified Haldane algorithm (one of the oldest). It is the least conservative out there. Of course, since you plan all your dives anyway, this is not a problem. Many of us that dive these older computers use a simple rule - stay in the GREEN on the N2 loading bar graph. And if you go into the yellow, stay in the shallows (25' or so) until you are in the green, THEN do the safety stop. Again, for the type of warm water diving you described, it is a fine computer at a good price with BIG numbers (for us pushing 50, this is important.)

Cheers

bradb21:
I'm pretty sure that Suunto and Uwatec do NOT use the same algorithm. Suunto used a modified version of the RGBM model (I hear Suunto's are the most conservative). The Uwatec's use the Bühlmann ZH L-8 ADT algorithm.

I currently own two Oceanics (Pro Plus 2 & Versa Pro 2.0) which are known for having the most relaxed algorithms out there.

The three above named computer models are very different.

Liberal vs. conservative algorithms depend on the dive style as well.

For the type of diving I do most often, which is many short repetitive deep multi-level dives (often called bounce dives) the Pelagic Systems (Oceanic, Aeris, Genesis) model will hang with my Uwatecs fairly close but not exceed them. On extreme days Uwatec will be slightly more liberal. I used to like Suunto Solutions back in the "air only" days, but the new ones are way too safe for me. A Vytec using a bottom gas and a rich deco gas will give about the same times as my Uwatecs not counting the deco gas. Ditto for Dive Rites.

I suggest you take several diving together and make direct comparisons.

Chad

Chad Carney:
rOOt,

Those graphs are totally unreadable.

Chad

Assuming you're using internet explorer, hold your mouse cursor over the image for a few seconds. If you click on the orange box with four arrows that appears in the bottom right corner of the image, it should expand to readable size.

Thanks DOH!

rOOt,
Who did those graphs?
Was there any surface interval info?
Interesting report on the first two dives, but the longest BT at the deepest point of the dives wasn't always shown. Upon ascending to 40' the information is not real important.
It's a shame there was no Uwatec in the group to round it out.

Chad

Chad Carney:
Thanks DOH!

rOOt,
Who did those graphs?
Was there any surface interval info?
Interesting report on the first two dives, but the longest BT at the deepest point of the dives wasn't always shown. Upon ascending to 40' the information is not real important.
It's a shame there was no Uwatec in the group to round it out.

Chad

Chad:

I got this info from:

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive_computers/crunching_the_numbers/

I purchase my IQ-700 for recreational diving only, ie the typical 2-3 tank dives a day. I have had no problems with the calculations reported as I compare them with other dive computers in my dive group. A typical dive with a dive master lasts about 1 hr 10 min max.

Hope that helps!

bradb21:
I currently own two Oceanics (Pro Plus 2 & Versa Pro 2.0) which are known for having the most relaxed algorithms out there.

While you're underwater do they just show a "smiley face" on the screen and play the chorus from "Don't worry, be happy"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom