Computer Users: How Often Do you PLAN repet dives with your computer?

In real repetitive dive sequences, do you trust the DM or calculate limits yourself?

• Rely on DM 90-100% of time. Calc (with tables or dive computer) 10% of time or less.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Rely on DM 50% or more of time. Calc for myself less than 50% of time.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Rely on my own calc (computer or table) 50% of time or more. Don’t trust DM’s calcs

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Rely on my own calc (computer or table) all/almost all the time. Don’t trust DM’s calcs

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you figure out how to dive plan with a Cobra, it’s so easy, why wouldn’t you? And besides, I want to get as much out of my $600 as possible.

Mike

Years ago, I was diving with someone who had represented himself as a divemaster and is working in a dive center. Several dives later, and especially when I began to do my Advanced Plus and Rescue Diver courses, I begin to have my suspicions on this DM. Not too long after, I found out he was not even certified as a divemaster, whose knowledge of diving, while being good in water skills, but academically ignorant even when compared to open water divers.

As an instructor, at some point when I teach the use of dive tables, I teach my students never to trust a DM or instructor blindly.

BTW, another lesson I learned from that experience is never be a cheap charlie... then again, I've heard of horror stories with dive centers that not only looks good but charges a lot of money.

Howdy!

Oh my... what I did on my latest dive trip (a live-aboard over Memorial Day Weekend) where there was no designated DM, I used my judgement about diving. I tended to dive every other dive site, since my surface interval hadn't been long enough between some of the boat captain's dive sites.

I did NOT check the PADI tables that I brought, as I relied on a SI of more than 1 hour (in most cases it was more than 2 hours, but on one case was about 40 minutes).

I did my deeper dives first. And watched my computer to avoid Deco Divin'. But generally did not come near those limits. Since all of the dives were about the same length give or take one or two minutes, I make a longer SI after deeper dives.

So I watch the computer to see the length of my SI, trust the computer while diving, and have gotten out of the habit of checking tables and planning repeat dives (other than knowing to dive shallower during each successive dive and confirm with my buddy that plan). We also did a safety stop every dive. And that was our plan, not mandated by the boat crew or any DM.

So it's not a matter of trusting a DM (even if one WERE present on my recent dives), but trusting my computer instead of planning and using tables. (Which would otherwise be too conservative, and sometimes tell me I shouldn't even get wet.)

I would NEVER dive, following blindly along a DM (or anyone else) without using my own computer. If I did not have a computer, then sure as hell I would use Tables. I always dive for MYSELF, using my previous dive data, current state of being (cold, strenuous, tired, etc), current computer readout, and would only follow a DM as a guide to the local life. If it's time for ME to surface, I signal the DM that I (and my buddy) am heading back.

Hmm... what was your question? :)

Have a better one
. paul

http://www.myscuba.com/getdeep/

in the beginning I would calc. my own tables, and then compare with the D.M. or instructor. Through the years, one learns to trust your own judgement. I always trust my computer and my wife trusts hers, and between us we have a redundant computer that I carry and she has her gauges as well. When you go and dive for a week doing repetetive dives for days and days, you should know that things can go wrong, equip. can malfunction, batteries can go dead. One should be prepared as possible and be ready to abort a dive when a problem arrises. I have had to stop or end my dives for a number of reasons.

Dive Safe ,
Caymaniac:wink:

For familiar profiles, like 80ft for 45min - 1 hr SI- 60 ft for 50 min (Coz), I rarely check. If the profile is unfamiliar, I'll usually check it. In any case, I adjust my depth and rest stop to surface in the green.

I have to confess I *used* to just go with the flow until I got my computer. Luckily I used air fast enough that I never had to come up due to reaching NDL before I ran out.

However now that I have a computer, I faithfully plan each repetitive dive. Until this past weekend, it's always been just two tank dives in one day. This past weekend I did five dives over the course of two days.

My Vyper really opened my eyes. It was a bit more conservative that other computers, however our last dive in 40' doing search and recovery had to be cut short due to myself first, but the rest of class within the next few minutes all hitting the NDL.

Marc

For nitrogen absorption, its personal and my dive profile is never the same as the DM... (mine is usually saw tooth hehehehh) During briefings, I will plan by checking the max allowable time based on the deepest depth of the dive site.... then i set the DC to alert me when the max planned depth is reached and when i am near the planned max allowable time..... in between, i would of course check my NDL and my air supply.....

My safety is my own immediate concern.... i defer to the DM on where to go as he is most familliar with the dive site (conditions, points of interest, etc.).... but when it comes to the time to ascend, its not fair to rely on the DM, again cause our dive profiles differ....

Back
Top Bottom