Computer woes - And a request for advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel1948

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Suunto Cobra that I've used for maybe 80 dives or so since I bought it new a couple of years ago. About a year ago, in the middle of a dive trip, on one dive it told me I was at 6 feet when I was actually level with the 15-foot hang bar. It happened to be an instructed dive, so I pointed it out to my instructor. Since this was to be a shallow dive under a pier, max 30 feet, she told me to not worry about it for this dive. The boat crew loaned me a spare computer and I finished the trip wearing two computers, but the Cobra agreed with the borrowed computer for the rest of the week.

I got a depth gauge as a back-up, and during the next few trips had no problems. Then on my last trip, the Cobra did it again. It happened that I was not wearing the depth gauge, so I only realized there was a problem when I compared notes with my buddy, though at the end of the dive I suspected a problem because my Cobra was saying 15 feet and counting my 3 minute safety stop when I thought we were well below 20 feet. For the rest of the week I wore my depth gauge, and the Cobra again was back to correct depth readings.

The dive shop sent the computer in to Suunto, and they sent it back saying they had tested it and it was working fine.

So now it seems I have two choices: Wear the depth gauge religiously, and at the first sign of a significant discrepancy abort the dive, and resume the next day with a rented/borrowed computer; or buy a new computer and always dive with two computers, which I gather some divers do anyway.

My nearest LDS (not the one I bought the Cobra from) sells and favors the Aladin Tec 2G. I gather that the "tec" in the name only refers to the fact that it has a gauge mode. It does nitrox (which I use when available) but not other mixed gasses (which I never expect to use).

I am a recreational diver. I've never been below 100 feet and have no particular interest in going deeper or anything technical. I just like the pretty fishes and the corals.

Any opinions about the Aladin? Any thoughts on the intermittent depth inaccuracy of the Cobra?

Thanks.

Daniel

How well are you rinsing your computer? It may be that you are getting salt and other mineral build up around the pressure transducer. I have used both a Cobra and Vytec but never has that problem even on week long trips. I typically rinse quite well at the end of every trip by soaking computers, regs for an hour or more. Warm water helps as well.

Read this thread. Looks like people a few years ago had similar issues:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co.../195116-beware-suunto-computers-d9-vytec.html

I don't remember whether it was in this thread, but several people have also discussed their experiences with crystallized salt buildup on the pressure sensors interfering with accurate readings. It easy to create because the holes and cracks around the sensor to let water in, and then surface tension helps keep it there on the surface till it dries out. Once dried, it's very hard to redissolve, but some people have reported some success with very long soaks (overnight or more). I think agitation has been mentioned, along with *maybe* dilute vinegar (do your research and use at your own risk, but then, your computer's not working anyway), but IIRC ultrasonics caused all sorts of problems.

This may also have been discussed with respect to other computer models, since the vulnerability probably isn't unique to Suuntos.

We've seen too many issues with the Cobra II and now III reporting erronious information (mostly diving when it wasn't and depth that was critically wrong). Not ALL have this issue - but significant numbers have been showing up (more so) such that Sunto knows there is a problem. So far they've been very good at replacing the units we've found to be problematic, so we eventually get it resolved - but we also never know when the next "problem" will creep up. This year we've gone away from the Cobra and are now using the newest Sherwood Wisdom computers.

I'd go back to the shop you bought it from and insist that you get a replacement from Sunto (or them) and if they baulk, you'll need to let them know how serious you are about getting the problem resolved (you decide that part).

For me... I will not dive the Sunto computers - especially the Cobra. Never much liked how they worked anyway, but with the number of issues we've seen in the II and III versions, it's a no-brainer to just dive something else.

I'm using the previous generation of the Aladin, the Prime model. No problems to report with it. However, the format of the instructions take a little bit to get used to.

The faulty depth sensor in a Cobra is well documented on this board. See this thread - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...rs/292842-suunto-depth-sensor-failures-8.html

I have had 2 cobras. The first was replaced for that issue, and the replacement cobra had that same issue again.... Suunto did not resolve to my satisfaction and I will opt to not buy any more of their products. It makes a good paper weight for me now!

If you can get them to replace it, great for you because you can use it until it breaks again and then buy what you really want. Expect them to not replace, they can NOT repair it unfortunately, and they may offer a pro-rated discount for purchasing a new cobra (not a cobra II or III or any other gear or other type of computer) which amounts to you paying more for a computer that is known for having this issue.

Best of luck.

I always soak my computer, along with my regulator, for a day or so after every trip. But since it is air integrated I do not soak it between dives. The resort people always rinse my gear after each day's diving, but I imagine that's just a quick rinse. I don't think that happens on the live-aboards. But whatever they're doing, it would be the same for everyone.

Salt build-up seems an unlikely suspect, since in both cases the computer worked fine the next dive. And there have been only two instances, widely separated. And never the first dive of a trip. Both times near the middle of the trip. Once on the night dive after 2 or 3 daytime dives that day. An intermittently defective sensor seems more likely.

What opinions do folks have regarding the Aladin Tec 2G?

I'm using the previous generation of the Aladin, the Prime model. No problems to report with it. However, the format of the instructions take a little bit to get used to.
I downloaded the Aladin Tec 2G manual. It looks easier to understand than the Suunto Cobra manual, which is pathologically cryptic.

... a word of caution on the Aladin Prime/Tec "hockey puck" computers...

I'm a huge ScubaPro/Uwatec fan (I dive the Galileo Terra at the moment), and I've owned the Tec 2G (and dealt with many of the Prime series Aladins). They have a notoriously short battery life. Just realize that you'll eat alot of the batteries (all user replaceable) in that computer.

I resorted to telling customers about that and suggestiong that IF they decided on that computer, to be sure an dhave a spare battery handy. I also suggested that it might be possible to extend life by removing the battery when not in use for extended periods of time (say between dive trips).

Other than the battery issue - they are great lil computers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom