Computers vs. Gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, are the conveniences that a dive computer provides worth the extra money that they cost. If they do, what is a cheap, easy to use, and durable dive computer? If they aren't, what is a cheap, reliable depth and pressure gauge? Thanks, Andrew.

A cheap computer costs less than a good quality dive watch and depth gauge, especially if you buy it used.

The advantages of a computer in the kind of diving that you described in another thread is that it tracks your diving on a multi-level basis, whereas a dive watch and tables assumes a square profile. If you are doing a lot of multi-level diving, you may be frustrated with table/watch usage.

I would look into the Genesis "Resource Pro" computer console from Leisure Pro to be had for $290. It has a good computer that does everything you need it to do and more (altitude adjustment, air/nitrox, depth, time, ascent rate, etc.), and also comes with a integrated SPG as well as compass. Good deal I think, check it out: Genesis "Resource Pro" In-Line Computer Console with Compass, CG2259

Hope it helps!:D

My opinion...I wouldn't even use an SPG as a backup to my computer. My son and I both have 2 computers.

The ease of use and added dive time are a definite plus. Not to mention if you are going Nitrox the ease of use there. If you do multi level dives they are a must to maximize down time and still be safe.

+1 for having a computer.

Unless the computer is air integrated, you will still need an analog SPG to monitor your air supply. One alternative is to get a "brass-and-glass" gauge. The other is to get a "regular" console, and take off the boot that houses the depth gauge and (possibly) compass, and just use the remaining SPG, which is what the hose is connected to anyway. Air integration may add several hundred dollars to the price of a computer, depending on if it is hosed or wireless.

Even if your computer is air-integrated (AI), knowing your remaining air is so important in diving that many divers recommend keeping a backup analog SPG even if you have an AI computer, in the unlikely event of computer failure. I think rk288, above, is recommending getting a second AI computer as a backup, which seems kinda pricey if cost is an issue as you state.

In my opinion, a cheap computer (like a Veo 100) on your wrist (to monitor depth, time and no-decompression limits) and a simple SPG on your high pressure hose (to monitor air, clipped off on a a D-ring to keep it out of the way until you need it) would be both practical and reduce the amount of money you've wasted if you later decide you want to splurge on expensive gear.

With entry-level dive computers priced around the $150 mark, they aren't much more expensive than getting a reliable dive watch and depth gauge. They add a lot more 'bang for the buck', providing you with options for dive planning, tracking your nitrogen loading, use of Nitrox and recording your dives in an in-built logbook. They offer multi-level dive tracking, which gives you considerably longer bottom time than being restricted to a square profile table dive. Add to that ascent rate monitoring, emergency deco information and an accurate no-fly time.

I do not use computers, I plan the dive and I have a watch, casio $ 30, where program time intervals at different levels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom