Computers with MAC interface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

etype once bubbled...
sorry angstreet: there is. Your right there is no mac interface, but .....

And how is this different from "To my knowledge, there is no computer with a direct Mac interface. Most that use a USB cable will now work with with any version of SoftPC that supports USB, so this is one option?" If you're going to disagree with me, try to use something a little stronger than my own words as an argument. It makes you look smarter.

The bottom line is that if you want to download a dive log from a dive computer, you're going to have to use a PC emulator. In today's market, that pretty much means a USB 1.0 interface, which is good news because most of the kinks have been worked out with G3s and G4s (and presumably G5s - I'm not fortunate enough to get to play with one yet) running VPC and SoftPC. A few years ago that meant using a serial interface, which was notoriously buggy, and something I didn't bother with.

And again, if all you're interested in is logging your dives, a viable alternative to downloading the dive computer is the Sensus. In many ways, it's better than a computer, and it has a native macintosh interface.

Alan (who still has an SE/30 in his garage, and remembers when you had to shut off multi-finder to get stuff to work properly).

the point was agstreet....use an emulator like VPC, that shouldn't be hard to understand, you can log dives, and use the pc software also.

For the dive computer, the problem usually isn't the hardware, it's the software. I can't name a dive-log program that runs on the mac AND interfaces with mainstream dive computers.

That being said, connecting my Vyper to a Mac is a no-brainer, and pulling raw dive log data isn't a big challenge - but I wouldn't want to operate that way.

If you want a dive computer for the benefits that a dive computer offers during the dive, then go for it. If you want to see your dive data on a Mac, then perhaps it's time to find someone to write some code. Sounds like there's a market for it.

Dave

... And for the regs and BC choice - how do you know? Read as much as you can here, and then go rent the gear and see which fits and works best for you. Take you time and make wise choices.

If you ask anyone, they're going to tell you to buy what they bought, or in an LDS, what they sell. It's almost religious, some of the opinions you'll get.

I found renting gear to be the best method to get the data I needed for my decisions.

Dave

etype once bubbled...
the point was agstreet....use an emulator like VPC, that shouldn't be hard to understand, you can log dives, and use the pc software also.

I said there was no computer that made a "direct" interface, i.e., something than runs natively under the Mac OS. You said I was wrong, then went on to say there was nothing with a direct interface. I could have just called you a moron, which is what you are, but I though I'd try being clever instead. Unfortunately, I forgot this was Scubaboard, so you didn't get it. Regardless, by now the OP has gotten the message about what his options are with regards to downloading, equipment, etc., and I've been reminded once again why I shouldn't bother trying to argue with the droolers here. It's like trying to teach pigs to sing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom