"Conch" with a hard k or "conch" with a soft "cha"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing soft about the Conch Cowboys...

Didn't want things to get boring.... :59:

Conch-konk,(Carrucho in spanish) is what lives inside the shell. Concha (with the cha sound), means shell in spanish. In the English language we sound out the ch as k most of the time, yet the meaning is the same. Tomatoe-tomato ya-know....it's all good.

By the way there are many, many conchs in the Caribbean Islands not just Key-West. They pride themselves in the many ways it can be prepared, served and cooked. This from a girl born in the Caribbean and raised in Florida, where we think, we know our conch's!! "Glad to ablige."

scbababe:
Conch-konk,(Carrucho in spanish) is what lives inside the shell. Concha (with the cha sound), means shell in spanish. In the English language we sound out the ch as k most of the time, yet the meaning is the same. Tomatoe-tomato ya-know....it's all good.

By the way there are many, many conchs in the Caribbean Islands not just Key-West. They pride themselves in the many ways it can be prepared, served and cooked. This from a girl born in the Caribbean and raised in Florida, where we think, we know our conch's!! "Glad to ablige."

I hope that you were not offended by my reply, I certainly know quite well that there are many, many conchs in the Caribbean. Since I come from a long family heritage of Key West, as well as the Bahamas and Cuba I know a good bit about conchs. The kind that live in the ocean and those on land. My reference to the "k" in conch is about how the people that refer to themselves as Conch's would use the word. If you were to have met my grandmother she could probably give you some of her many recipes for cooking conch. Some of which I have that she wrote out for me. She was an awesome cook and I consider her recipes for conch, fish, lobster ( which she always called crawfish ) a local name for the Florida spiney lobsters back before we ever new they were lobster, growing up I thought lobster was, well you know the kind from Maine. Anyway, I got off the subject, her recipes were authentic and original from those passed down from her mother and grandmother ( from the Bahamas). The other area of food cuisine that I can vouch for authenticity would have to be Cuban and some from recipes that came down from when there were Greek spongers living in the Keys. Maybe I took it personal, but I have had alot of experience and pride in my heritage. From the food, the culture and the ocean they were all a big part of my life with my family. Just because I now live in Georgia 2 hours from the ocean, and even further from the Keys and Caribbean I don't take it for advantage nor granted either. They are still very close to my heart.

Sorry if I rambled or maybe have offended anyone, but I truly have a connection with conchs, the marine animal, the shell and the people.

scbababe:
Concha (with the cha sound), means shell in spanish.

I thought that "Concha" was a word that I had to be careful of using in my pidgin Spanish...

GrierHPharmD:
I thought that "Concha" was a word that I had to be careful of using in my pidgin Spanish...

O.K. my friend, warning do not confuse eating concha, to eating cho---. :wink: , although in Argentina concha is synonym to cho---!

seaangel:
Sorry if I rambled or maybe have offended anyone, but I truly have a connection with conchs, the marine animal, the shell and the people.

None taken!... have a conch and a smile!!!! :wink:

scbababe:
O.K. my friend, warning do not confuse eating concha, to eating cho---. :wink: , although in Argentina concha is synonym to cho---!

What would I do without your Spanish expertise?!? (Probably order something different than I intended in the restaurant, that's for sure!)

"But, Senor, that's what you requested..." :eyebrow:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom