"Conch" with a hard k or "conch" with a soft "cha"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
Also remember a conk (same pronunciation) is the English slang word for nose. Just FYI, dont want you Floridians thinking you have a special word phonetically. :wink:

Sooooo... we could say something like "Hey.. your conch is really red today..." or "Your conch looks swollen, are you OK?" or "Dude, go blow your conch, you've got something hanging out of it." or "Every time I dive my conch starts to run."

Its more like "he has a huge conk" or "what a weird shaped conk", nose is typically used for your examples. However i have no idea where conkers came from (horse chestnuts - no idea if you know what i am talking about though).

Scubaguy62:
When did you say Crystal is moving down???????????? :D

Not soon enough, my friend...

(We'll be doing the big trek around the 22nd or 23rd. I can't wait! I'll introduce her and the kids around on one of those first weekends, just as soon as we get into the house and a little settled.)

Excuse me, but why would you listen to someone in Cleveland (as in, Ohio) about how to pronounce conch? Or am I missing something? That's like asking someone in Indiana how to pronouce Peru... :crafty:

gj62:
Excuse me, but why would you listen to someone in Cleveland (as in, Ohio) about how to pronounce conch? Or am I missing something? That's like asking someone in Indiana how to pronouce Peru... :crafty:

Who said we were listening? :crafty:

scbababe:
Conch-konk,(Carrucho in spanish) is what lives inside the shell. Concha (with the cha sound), means shell in spanish. QUOTE]

Huh? The Spanish speaking people in Central America that I know call conch "carracol" (spelling?) Which is very good for uhhhh, you know what I mean...especially the clear spagetti looking noodle thing. Well, I was in a bit of a slump and ate about 8 of them while I was cleaning the days catch. I threw up and never got lucky either. I still love ceviche though.

Hank49:
Huh? The Spanish speaking people in Central America that I know call conch "carracol" (spelling?) Which is very good for uhhhh, you know what I mean...especially the clear spagetti looking noodle thing. Well, I was in a bit of a slump and ate about 8 of them while I was cleaning the days catch. I threw up and never got lucky either. I still love ceviche though.

Well sorry you didn't get lucky..you probably should try "sopa de caracol" (shell soup) or oysters for your libido, not the spagetti looking noodle thing! (lol) :wink:

O2Addict:
It is pronounced Conk, no ifs or buts. The only people I have ever heard call it conch (with a cha) are tourists you see it for the first time and pronounce it how it is spelt.Every place I have been in the US and Carribean where conch are found use the conk pronounciation.

Tourists!! History officially credits Columbus and Spain with the discovery of most of the Caribbean Islands, including San Salvador(Bahamas), where Spanish was spoken. You may pronounce it as you wish, however the ch sound is for cha in the spanish language... "no ifs or buts" :wink:

scbababe:
oysters for your libido (lol) :wink:

So that's the problem! I love oysters...

scbababe:
Well sorry you didn't get lucky..you probably should try "sopa de caracol" (shell soup) or oysters for your libido, not the spagetti looking noodle thing! (lol) :wink:

The "spagetti" thing happened when I first arrived in Belize. Since then I just chunk it into the water. But the conch meat works well......if you get my drift. I don't really go for conch soup though. Ceviche. Can't get oysters here. I'm thinking jaguar testicles may be next on the menu.......or mountain lion's...if that fricken' one eats another of my dogs, he's history. haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom