"Conch" with a hard k or "conch" with a soft "cha"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD:
What would I do without your Spanish expertise?!? (Probably order something different than I intended in the restaurant, that's for sure!)

"But, Senor, that's what you requested..." :eyebrow:

In the most excellent surf movie "Siestas & Olas," the young men enter a beach side restaurant in Mexico for a lobster dinner and order, "tres esposas, muy grande." Luckily for them, they didn't get the three wives, very large, that they ordered.

jlyle:
"tres esposas, muy grande." Luckily for them, they didn't get the three wives, very large, that they ordered.

Esposas also means handcuffs. Perhaps relating it to lobsters & their claws

Wives, handcuffs, cho---... Whew! The mind reels...

Hmmm... very geocentric in our pronunciations, aren't we? Remember that "konks" are not all located in the southern US and may be pronounced differently by English speakers in other countries where they are found! However, I prefer "konk" too.

Dr. Bill

Also remember a conk (same pronunciation) is the English slang word for nose. Just FYI, dont want you Floridians thinking you have a special word phonetically. :wink:

It is pronounced Conk, no ifs or buts. The only people I have ever heard call it conch (with a cha) are tourists you see it for the first time and pronounce it how it is spelt.

Every place I have been in the US and Carribean where conch are found use the conk pronounciation.

how could i have missed this fire-hot thread for so long!??!?!?!??

if you is in Florida, you best be saying "conk" or else....

GrierHPharmD:
Wives, handcuffs, cho---... Whew! The mind reels...

When did you say Crystal is moving down???????????? :D

he lives!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom