Conestoga Dive Pics from today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an interesting note, regarding the Conestoga, and adjacent dive sites posted on the E-DIVERS-CA Yahoogroup. you guys might want to take heed-

Date: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:28 pm
Subject: Re: [E-DIVERS-CA] Re: Edivers in the water

a quick update for those of you interested.

I see no imminent danger at this dive site AT THIS TIME. But please read this entire message before you make any decisions on diving the Connie this weekend.

the ice shelf is now gone and the wreck is completely free of any overhead environment AT THIS TIME.

the ice upstream in the outer canal is almost all gone, so there appears to be next to no risk of a ice jam moving in while you are below AT THIS TIME.

there is a ice boom across he opening of the gallop Canal and it is holding the big stuff back AT THIS TIME.

I would suggest though that before diving this location that you take a drive up stream (towards Prescott) and make sure there is nothing large floating in the canal. If there is it would take less than an hour for it to drift down to the Connie and potentially cover your dive area.

As you come up the river however the ice is still there in large quantities. The Rothesay is still froze over completely at least out to the channel. I believe that at this time the Connie is the only accessible dive site on the river that I would consider diving AT THIS TIME

The coast Guard ice breaker is getting ready to head upstream, and when it does the ice booms will come out. This will create some dangerous situations. I just got off the phone with the coast guard and they are aiming to head up stream on Friday.

What that means is they will be pulling the ice booms out and letting the ice flow through. so if you are going to try diving I suggest you go through Prescott and see if the big Red ice breaker is there or not at the dock of the Coast Guard. They where supposed to head upstream on Monday but they have run into some mechanical problems and are now aiming for Friday departure. If they do then I would wait for at least a week before diving that location as the ice will be flowing pretty good through there.

in conclusion if the Boat is gone I would wait a week or so.

if it is still there I would check to see if the ice boom is still across the opening of the canal.

If it is then check to make sure there are no large chunks of ice floating up stream.

If all the above situations are good then you should be good to go as long as there is nothing that moved into the area since my visit to the site 1 hour and a half ago.

Guys if you go Please be careful and do not push your luck. I do want to be able to dive with you all this summer. I took the extra time this evening on my way home from work, to assess the situation for everyone's safety, please use some good sound judgment before entering the water and do not skip any of the steps that I laid out above.

Rodney

DrownedRat:
Ya, those gloves look like the ticket. No worries about squeeze though.. I can only go so deep before the neophrene suit stops providing any protection.

I saw blue DS gloves with latex cuffs sitting below the counter at Dolphino's yesterday. This pair looked used so I expect a bargain price could be arranged.
UM

Excellent report

Thanks for the update and the reminder to play safe.

artw:
Here is an interesting note, regarding the Conestoga, and adjacent dive sites posted on the E-DIVERS-CA Yahoogroup. you guys might want to take heed-

Date: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:28 pm
Subject: Re: [E-DIVERS-CA] Re: Edivers in the water

a quick update for those of you interested.

Guys if you go Please be careful and do not push your luck. I do want to be able to dive with you all this summer. I took the extra time this evening on my way home from work, to assess the situation for everyone's safety, please use some good sound judgment before entering the water and do not skip any of the steps that I laid out above.

Rodney

Sweet, I'm gonna call them today.

Under Michael:
I saw blue DS gloves with latex cuffs sitting below the counter at Dolphino's yesterday. This pair looked used so I expect a bargain price could be arranged.
UM

I love the Connie as a student dive site nice pics.

Your post was from quite a while ago, however I am doing my first open water dive since my certification at the Conestoga site next week and am very excited! Do you have any pics from recent trips of the Conestoga, so I can anticipate what to expect?! First dive... feeling nervous! :p

Thread Resurrection, but check out youtube, search for "conestoga wreck" and you'll get videos.
If not check on Nepteau.com, it's in french but they have a video on vimeo for it.

It's a VERY easy wreck at a max of 30ish feet. Something wrong happens you can just pop out of the water, you'll run out of air before NoDeco time.

It's a shallow area, there are fishes and the wreck is interesting.

Have fun.

nice spot with a small change area too!
after you have dived it,go to the end of the road and look upstream
with 2 cars you can do a nice little drift form the locks down to the connie
a wee bit of current,on the wreck,but nothing you can't work around
congrats on the cert!!!!!!
from directly across from the wreck in lisbon beach-usa
have fun
yaeg

Thanks for the advice... it was awesome! Can't wait for the next dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom