Conflicting Guidance from the “Experts” and Insta-buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its funny, these comments the OP quoted appear to come from different individuals. The two quotes regarding future training and assimilating bad habits are in stark contrast to one another, and the "I'll take care of you" and "why do you need to practice skills" are also contradictory.

This sounds like a story with more than two sides... or the worst dive center ever

People have different amounts of knowledge, and they also have different opinions. I have talked to any number of people, in person and on line, who believe that, by being compulsive about buddy checks, dive plans, and skills practice, I am taking the "fun" out of diving. I'm risk averse; I like safety, and I think I improve safety by doing those things. There are other people who believe diving is very safe and simple, and doesn't require that degree of diligence. For the most part, they may be right; at least some of them have done an awful lot of dives without taking the care that I seem to think is necessary. That's just a difference of opinion.

But the phenomenon of "professionals" who don't know anything is real. And being blessed with a DM or instructor card can make them think they're qualified to pontificate on anything dive-related, just as celebrities seem to think their opinions on matters unrelated to their field are important :)

I look at advice like this...

Listen to the advise that was offered or asked for. Consider from whom gave it or offered it and take what you want from it.

safe dives

People have different amounts of knowledge, and they also have different opinions. I have talked to any number of people, in person and on line, who believe that, by being compulsive about buddy checks, dive plans, and skills practice, I am taking the "fun" out of diving. I'm risk averse; I like safety, and I think I improve safety by doing those things. There are other people who believe diving is very safe and simple, and doesn't require that degree of diligence. For the most part, they may be right; at least some of them have done an awful lot of dives without taking the care that I seem to think is necessary. That's just a difference of opinion.

But the phenomenon of "professionals" who don't know anything is real. And being blessed with a DM or instructor card can make them think they're qualified to pontificate on anything dive-related, just as celebrities seem to think their opinions on matters unrelated to their field are important :)

I like that.

so this guy gets into diving one summer and goes from zero to hero and gets a job at the dive shop. over the next 5 years he's amassed over 1000 dives , looks impressive. The big rub here is that the guys raising 4 kids has no money and basically goes to the same dead calm lake with 10-30 viz and goes on the same route everytime.

another guy has 5 years and 150 dives but this guy is forutate enough to have traveled all over and has done dives in all types of conditions.

who's resume looks better ? whos the better diver ? who do you want to dive with ?

It's never black and white... but then I'm preaching to the choir aren't I :D

Only two pieces of advice worth following in my book:

"never get involved in a land war in Asia" & "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

My experience has been, and not just in diving, that when stupid people are insecure about something they are doing, they tend to compensate by trying to pass themselves off as experienced experts. But because they are stupid, they have a very limited knowledge of what they are doing and therefore just blabber drivel that most kids under 10 could sniff out as BS.

When I'm around divers I don't know and I need a buddy, I look for the quiet one that has his gear set up right and asks for someone to check him before he jumps in. (Or her.)

Advice is sometimes difficult, as its value must consider the experience of not only the speaker, but the listener as well. When I was younger, I rejected advice simply because I didn't have the ears to listen.

If the advice is unsought, consider that the person giving it likely only wants to help. If its been sought, you have received what you have requested. Either way, it's up to you to discern and take it for what it's worth to you.

I believe diving is safe and simple (with proper training and knowledge) but am absolutely on board with you about diligence. It's what mitigates those things in diving that can kill you. Complacency is death in this sport. It's just a matter of time. But overall, it ain't rocket science and few are hurt doing it. Last time I checked, doing a buddy check didn't cost me a dime.

"never get involved in a land war in Asia" & "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

"Inconceivable"

Its funny, these comments the OP quoted appear to come from different individuals. The two quotes regarding future training and assimilating bad habits are in stark contrast to one another, and the "I'll take care of you" and "why do you need to practice skills" are also contradictory.

This sounds like a story with more than two sides... or the worst dive center ever

Clarification: These ARE from different people, different places. My point is that new divers are lambasted with these . . . How is it that this happens?

Back
Top Bottom