Confused about Narcosis...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all I am not a tech diver, and have only "knowingly noticed" affects of narcosis once - on nitrox (27% as I recall? - My deepest dive to 138') Mostly a feeling of increased anxiety which was out of the ordinary.

I have heard and read a bit about PSAI (founded by Hal Watts) which has a Narcosis Management course. It is a very interesting concept (Performance Based) and it is taught in 6 building block levels (one must be successfully completed prior to moving to the next).

It seems to be designed to allow divers to learn their personal tolerance (or lack thereof) of Nitrogen Narcosis depending on the gas they are breathing.

It doesn't teach the concept that anyone can build an immunity to narcosis, but that with training on recognition of symptoms of narcosis and building experience creating and DIVING a plan, will increase one's ability to work through challenges when presented (be they narcosis or anything else) one can become more efficient in countering affects? (This is ALL Mark's own opinion of the purpose of these course/s)

"Many dive plans dissolve in water - Plan Your Dive and Dive Your Plan." - Hal Watts

Disclaimer:

I don't pretend to know anymore about this than what I have read and I have not personally taken any of these classes.

Lumping CO2 and anxiety in is not rational because even though you can't control the mixed drink effect every 50 feet (that's the reality) you can control anxiety (dive more) and the CO2 (don't work/swim hard at depth).

I think many recreational divers who have "narced" feelings at shallow depths misconstrue anxiety with narcosis.

I have heard and read a bit about PSAI (founded by Hal Watts) which has a Narcosis Management course. It is a very interesting concept (Performance Based) and it is taught in 6 building block levels (one must be successfully completed prior to moving to the next).

There was a course report and thread about it here last month.

In summary; A series of bounce dives, until you reach 73m (on air) breaking PPO2 limits. I never quite worked out what the learning goal was.

Back
Top Bottom