Confused on what gear to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently received a email about my dive computer (Tusa IQ 600) and it has been discontinued. What computer's are equivalent to the Tusa 600. I like the features that it has with it and i recently found out the the diver shop on base has alot more computers that the do not display. (The only display the high end CPU) What are other good computers that are not to expensive that can grow with me?

I recently received a email about my dive computer (Tusa IQ 600) and it has been discontinued.?

I'd use my new Tusa IQ700, if I were you.

I recently purchased a TUSA IQ700 computer.

Antagonist, if I can give you my 2 cents : if you want to keep diving, don't settle for low-entry stuff. Invest in decent material.
It's a bit what I did in my days : I talked with lots of people in my diving club, tried some material and started with 'decent' material : a Maress Abyss set, Mares Dragon BCD & Suunto Cobra computer. I can't say I have had any regrets on the material.
The BCD : it has to be a good fit for you, try how it feels, look for good finishing.
The reg : this thing will be your breathing buddy - quite important :) - spend some money here !

General rule for me : think of what you will be needing and using and focus on buying something that fits those needs.

Does your base dive shop rent out equipment?

If so ask them to lend you a couple of BCs and regs to try out and find out what works for you and then buy new from them.

My thoughts on gear in general:

1) Always by quality gear that is recognized by such by the dive community after significant use in extreme conditions. Quality and price rarely have much to do with each other in diving. You can find very high quality $75 fins and very low quality $300 ones.

2) Always use stuff before you buy it. Everyone is different and what works great for your buddy may not work great for you. Buying without trying will result in buying many pieces of gear more than once.

Does your dive shop handle the Aladin 2g? That's a moderately priced computer that is Nitrox capable and has some other nice features.

I was look at either the MK11/R395 or the MK25/G250. I am trying not to focus on the price to much especially since I plan on hang on to this gear for quite a while. The dive shop on base does all the maintence and is a certified deal of scubapro accessories and they are cheaper then anything I have seen on the internet.

If you can afford the Mk25/G250, then this is the way to go, no contest. If you can also afford the MK25/S600, then it is even better. Either one will last you a very very long time with top of the line performance. You'll never have to look back.

A computer is a luxury item. Spend your money on essentials at this point.

I respectfully disagree. I think that a dive computer is essential and would add to the enjoyment and safety of the diver if used properly (it is not difficult to use it properly). Proper skills and knowledge are still required but good tools make life easier and more enjoyable.

Please note diving in general is not essential and can be considered as luxury by some folks (not me though).

I recently received a email about my dive computer (Tusa IQ 600) and it has been discontinued. What computer's are equivalent to the Tusa 600. I like the features that it has with it and i recently found out the the diver shop on base has alot more computers that the do not display. (The only display the high end CPU) What are other good computers that are not to expensive that can grow with me?
Maybe I'm confused but if you already have a computer you like, why look for a new one? Is there something wrong with the one you already have?

Back
Top Bottom