conshelf regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finflipper49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I am looking at buying a conshelf 14 2nd stage ( if I can find a good one for the right price) to attatch to my Titan fist stage to see if I like it, and if I do I would like to put together a complete set as as an extra. My question is, is the conshelf 14, 12, aquarius, and calypso the same reg. with differant name on the purge butten? I want the metal reg and maybe I could be looking for either one? My understanding is I should look for one with a snap on exaust T and not the ones with screws. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone, I am looking at buying a conshelf 14 2nd stage ( if I can find a good one for the right price) to attatch to my Titan fist stage to see if I like it, and if I do I would like to put together a complete set as as an extra. My question is, is the conshelf 14, 12, aquarius, and calypso the same reg. with differant name on the purge butten? I want the metal reg and maybe I could be looking for either one? My understanding is I should look for one with a snap on exaust T and not the ones with screws. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Yes, to the first question.

I would tend to agree with the second statement in Bold. There is nothing particularly wrong with the screwed on exhaust, but the exhaust passage is a bit smaller.

Another thing to keep in mind. Most Conshelfs have aplastic plug on the side opposite of the housing from the hose, used for adjustment access. It is made of a rather brittle plastic & have seen them break easily. With conshelf being pretty much obsolete & no longer supported,... parts, other than service parts are nearly impossible to find. If this plug breaks & another can not be found, the reg is pretty much toast. Just a "head's up for you".

Another thing to keep in mind. Most Conshelfs have aplastic plug on the side opposite of the housing from the hose, used for adjustment access. It is made of a rather brittle plastic & have seen them break easily. With conshelf being pretty much obsolete & no longer supported,... parts, other than service parts are nearly impossible to find. If this plug breaks & another can not be found, the reg is pretty much toast. Just a "head's up for you".

First off, he is looking for a metal reg so there is no plug and therefore not an issue. That said, a 1/2 LP port plug fits nicely into the hole. Those are fairly easy to find.

As tstormdiver said, the plastic housing/boxes do become brittle and have a tendancy to crack- Obviously metal wont have that problem, but if you do get a plastic one, check for cracks where the hose fitting meets the plastic housing- plastic boxes are no longer avail.

First off, he is looking for a metal reg so there is no plug and therefore not an issue. That said, a 1/2 LP port plug fits nicely into the hole. Those are fairly easy to find.

Attached is a schematic from the current aqualung catalog- Note the caption on the bottom left about housing/boxes made after '97 that DO have a plug. OP, these are parts that are currently avail, in addition to the standard service kit. Also note the housing/box is only avail in METAL now, no more plastic

Attachments

• conshelf exp diagram.jpg
    conshelf exp diagram.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 706
The very last runs did have a plug for second stage adjustment. I have only seen a couple. The plug, regardless of what it is made of is easily replaceable. It was a nice improvement but totally not needed, but nice as it does make adjustment a little easier.

You do not want the SCREW ON exhaust tee type because the exhaust valve and the recess for it is different and as far as I know, the tees are hard to come by. Better to find a later version which would be like mid 70s onward. Exhaust tees for those were available in two styles, the current one is the best as it is more compact.

The second stage on the Titan XL does seem to breath a little better. The first stages, inside, are essentially the same for all practical purposes.

N

There were no plastic Conshelf 14 second stages, ever. They were all metal right up to the last one to leave the factory. The Conshelf XI, XII, XIV, Aquarius I and II and the early Calypso were all metal and virtually identical except for a very small difference in the exhaust ports. I have examples of every type of US Divers metal second stage (including the final version of the Conshelf 14) and dive them all. I honestly cannot tell any difference in performance between those mounted on Conshelf first stages.

The Conshelf 14 is my favorite of the Conshelf series because of the port arrangement. Otherwise, all the Connies (including the Titan) are pretty much the same.

I like the early USD seconds with the screw on exhaust tee for use as an octo/second. I did set in to stores a couple of exhaust tees as the original tees tend to rot badly. The front cover is more shallow and the exhaust tee is also less thick for lack of a better description thus producing a thinner profile. These have a small exhaust valve also though one I have has an in between size. I detune them so they do not free flow and they make excellent, no fuss, no muss, reliable and rugged octos.

And yes, there were metal Conshelf second stages with an adjustment port plug.

I recently acquired a NIB Conshelf Supreme, with box and warranty and all the cool old pamphlets. I had another nearly new Conshelf second stage so they are paired up. I cannot wait to get it wet (in other than a pool).

I also have another set of Conshelf XIV regs, one first and two seconds, a working unit. Probably about an 8 on looks. Might be for sale.

P1270667.jpg

N

Last edited:
Nemrod, how much would you be thinking if you decide to sell? PM sent

Last edited:
I am working on a couple of Conshelf regs, one I know to be a 12, the other I think might be a 14. The only difference I can see between them is a plastic bead at the tip of the leaver on the 14. They both have numbers stamped between the mouthpiece and exhaust T, two numbers then a space and five more numbers. I am assuming the first two numbers are the year they were made. Is that correct? The 12 starts with 74 and the 14 starts with 81. If that is correct is the one starting with 81 a 14? Also does anyone know what the intermediate pressure should be set at? The 12 second is attached to a 12 first stage. The one I think is a 14 is attached to an Aquarious first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom