What regulator do you lust after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It amazes me, but then I guess it should not, how unfamiliar with current equipment and service information most LDS are. And this is EXACTLY why I have not allowed anyone but me (and one particular friend) to even touch any regulator of mine.

Proper technique, with a torque wrench set for 27 inch pounds:

Or rather than educating themselves, just instead throw their hands in the air while screaming "those things are lethal" and similar BS admonitions. And my advice is to Run Forest, RUN! If they do not know their service information find a new place to work with that does. This is yoke, DIN has similar instructions for proper torque technique and installation of the ACD shutter.

Far from "lethal," the little Core (and Legend) and current product Helix are to lust after. ACD, enviro sealed and tiny little things they are. The Legend internally is a Core/Helix but has additional features, heavier case and ambient finning for improved cold water performance. Aside from my preference for piston regulators, these are superb first stages. "Lethal" my axx :no::no:.

It amazes me, but then I guess it should not, how unfamiliar with current equipment and service information most LDS are. And this is EXACTLY why I have not allowed anyone but me (and one particular friend) to even touch any regulator of mine.

Proper technique, with a torque wrench set for 27 inch pounds:

Or rather than educating themselves, just instead throw their hands in the air while screaming "those things are lethal" and similar BS admonitions. And my advice is to Run Forest, RUN! If they do not know their service information find a new place to work with that does. This is yoke, DIN has similar instructions for proper torque technique and installation of the ACD shutter.

Far from "lethal" and the little Core and current product Helix are to lust after. ACD, enviro sealed and tiny little things they are. The Legend internally is a Core/Helix but has additional features, heavier case and ambient finning for improved cold water performance. Aside from my preference for piston regulators, these are superb first stages. "Lethal" my axx :no::no:.
Yes, all of us who have been around ‘some’ have witnessed it from the onset. I believe it is part and parcel of the manufacturers proprietary training, as well as discard the old…it’s worn out anyway ( not mine as I take care of my stuff ) . And the mindset is to scare the SCUBA student from the starting gate that this is ‘the way it is’ and it’s not… I like and depend on my ‘tried and true‘ gear and will seek out NOS and worthy ‘re-makes’ to spec, of parts to keep mine going long into the future. My best advice has been gleaned from those who ‘know’ their gear and are willing to help me learn more.

Yes, all of us who have been around ‘some’ have witnessed it from the onset. I believe it is part and parcel of the manufacturers proprietary training, as well as discard the old…it’s worn out anyway ( not mine as I take care of my stuff ) . And the mindset is to scare the SCUBA student from the starting gate that this is ‘the way it is’ and it’s not… I like and depend on my ‘tried and true‘ gear and will seek out NOS and worthy ‘re-makes’ to spec, of parts to keep mine going long into the future. My best advice has been gleaned from those who ‘know’ their gear and are willing to help me learn more.
I can walk into AutoZone or O’Reilly and buy a set of brake pads for a car, likewise I can buy airbags at the dealership. But unless it’s really old scuba gear or you’re in Europe you can’t buy parts for your regs easily(unless it’s certain Mares or Scubapro models). Under the guise of life and death.

I can walk into AutoZone or O’Reilly and buy a set of brake pads for a car, likewise I can buy airbags at the dealership. But unless it’s really old scuba gear or you’re in Europe you can’t buy parts for your regs easily(unless it’s certain Mares or Scubapro models). Under the guise of life and death.
Yes, I believe because it is considered ‘Life Support’ equipment ( …I agree w/that statement…) service, repair and restoration is not for the timid or overconfident. At one time you had to keep your gear maintained. Now the manufacturers and their designated stores and repair technicians are about the only way to get gear repaired or maintained. The next rub, like so many commodities, SCUBA gear is redesigned ( mostly cosmetic or slightly altered parts ) and marketed as the latest greatest and discard your old gear for this new stuff. Yes there are new ‘safety’ features. Some of the gear available now is good and solid as it always was…some is questionable as to it’s construction and origin.
Many manufacturers ‘snuff’ out older brands and designs, but much of it is pretty much the same parts inside that have always been reliable Just ‘pirated’ and adopted.

Myself, as well as others who read this forum have actually sat and observed as well as worked on some SCUBA shop’s repair bench and have seen how it ‘All goes together’ and have had ‘hands-on’ experience working on some SCUBA gear and testing it on the bench and in the pool for positive results. That is the best start before attempting this.

Anyway, the choice is up to the individual.

I wish anyone getting into this the best of luck…don’t forget to do your ‘due diligence‘ as well.
Scott G. Bonser

It’s all political.
They play keep away and claim it’s for liability reasons because people are too stupid to be able to service their own gear. All it is is just an arrangement with their retailers to guarantee a revenue stream of repeat business on the same reg set, and in many cases they are un-needed services.
The problem is it’s too small of an industry for federal regulators to take notice and act on it so they continue to get away with it.
Holding retailers to strict MAP pricing when technically the retailer outright owns the product is also marginally illegal, but they get away with that too.
The internet has helped to blow open the information stream regarding this issue, and also to provide some parts resources.
They hate that.

It’s all political.
They play keep away and claim it’s for liability reasons because people are too stupid to be able to service their own gear. All it is is just an arrangement with their retailers to guarantee a revenue stream of repeat business on the same reg set, and in many cases they are un-needed services.
The problem is it’s too small of an industry for federal regulators to take notice and act on it so they continue to get away with it.
Holding retailers to strict MAP pricing when technically the retailer outright owns the product is also marginally illegal, but they get away with that too.
The internet has helped to blow open the information stream regarding this issue, and also to provide some parts resources.
They hate that.

The number of people that care about doing self service or DIY in the dive business is tiny and insignificant. In practical terms, no one really cares.

Back
Top Bottom