New to DIN, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would advise the OP to hold onto his old yoke reg for such trips and dedicate the new DIN regs to the pursuit of NJ wreck diving.
Hahaha, yes, that is indeed what my plan is! I saved a lot going all in on DGX twinset reg setup vs. just a single 1st stage and add a 1st stage later. Time to learn.

As @eelnoraa suggested, a threaded delrin dust cap is a good idea if you're planning to immerse or soak your regs after dives; however, it's also a good habit to periodically take some fresh water and a [tooth]brush to the DIN wheel threads, as these can quickly accumulate salt which can make it a PITA to screw into a valve. It also will eventually corrode the chrome off the threads. Be sure to keep a thumb or finger firmly against the inlet so no water gets in while you're brushing.

Yes, definitely clean salt water off the DIN thread. In my case, if I know I won't be diving that reg for a while (say new baby in family), I used diluted CLR and tooth brush to clear off all salt and corrosion, rinse, dry, put on DIN, and store away. It has been 9 months for my double reg. let me check tonight and see the condition of the DIN thread.

DIN regs can be a bit fiddly to get threaded onto the valve and can be surprisingly frustrating. Try gently holding the reg against the valve as for threading in but slowly rotate the thread anti-clockwise (backwards). Turn until you feel a slight drop in as the thread ends pass each other. The threads are then better aligned. Then turn clockwise and start to thread in and tighten to snug.
This pre-alignment seems to make it much easier to get the thread started.

Yes, definitely clean salt water off the DIN thread. In my case, if I know I won't be diving that reg for a while (say new baby in family), I used diluted CLR and tooth brush to clear off all salt and corrosion, rinse, dry, put on DIN, and store away. It has been 9 months for my double reg. let me check tonight and see the condition of the DIN thread.
I use white vinegar. Is it better to use CLR?

I actually don’t know. I have never used vinegar. I happened to have a bottle of CLR nearby, so i diluted it 2 water 1 CLR, and brush it on the thread. It seems working good

2 mk25, 2 AA brass first stage here threads looks clean and shiny with this method after 9 months or so. For each sun cap tie a o ring to it just in case

Attachments

• 8D82C21B-D453-417A-81CD-4F926CBEF4FC.jpeg
    8D82C21B-D453-417A-81CD-4F926CBEF4FC.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 63
  • BF06E4E3-FBF1-4DC9-B351-F2D7CE48B37E.jpeg
    BF06E4E3-FBF1-4DC9-B351-F2D7CE48B37E.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2B76E5BB-D4CD-4337-8E91-154823C8E085.jpeg
    2B76E5BB-D4CD-4337-8E91-154823C8E085.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 65
  • D512D4BB-D533-4C8C-A4BA-C62AEFE56F5A.jpeg
    D512D4BB-D533-4C8C-A4BA-C62AEFE56F5A.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 82A09B6B-BC47-4D3D-8E48-FD2025E6E9C4.jpeg
    82A09B6B-BC47-4D3D-8E48-FD2025E6E9C4.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 57
Before you get too far down this road, have you completed the DIN Diver Specialty course and can produce the C-card on request before diving a DIN reg ??? May also need the Boat Diver specialty if jumping in off a boat.

Why is there no Split-flipper Diver Specialty course that I can find !?!

Be careful with vinegar. It will strip the chrome plating from there brass reg body. You can still use it to remove anything bad, but realize you are dissolving part of your first stage when you do.

Don't use vinegar regularly.

Also most regs have screw on tank connections, and you can thread those on yourself before a trip. A yoke adapter is still useful, but they do add extra points of failure and bulk. When I dove, I had separate rec, sidemount and doubles regs. I had planned to swap things around but it became a pita...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom