New to DIN, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My LDS rents tanks with Pro valves, so when I picked up a new regulator (well, two really, planning on doubles someday), I decided to make the switch from Yoke to DIN.

Since this is the absolute first time using DIN, what do I need to know? Just screw it on and good to go? How tight should I crank it down? Also, what do I do with the dust cap? I'm used to my Yoke reg having the cap attached. There's a lanyard on the dust cap but I'm not sure where I should attach it or even if it's supposed to go in the water with me.

.. Just screw it on and good to go?
Not exactly,,, Don't turn/rotate the 1st stage body because it will cause friction and over time damage to the sealing o-ring. Try to turn only the rotating screw knob. This usually isn't a problem when putting it on. But in taking it off and it's tight,,,,many divers will try to rotate the main 1st stage housing to loosen it. That's when DIN Oring damage occurs. Then it's best to use a towel or your gloves for grip on the rotating screw knob.

Thanks!

How about the dust cap? Where does it go when my reg is on the tank? should I attach it somewhere with its lanyard or just leave it somewhere above water?

Thanks!

How about the dust cap? Where does it go when my reg is on the tank? should I attach it somewhere with its lanyard or just leave it somewhere above water?
Toss it in a bag somewhere. It doesn't go in the water with you.

How tight should I crank it down?
Not too tight. Just snug.

Also--and maybe this is Captain Obvious stuff--but before you mount the reg on the tank, check that the o-ring in your reg is still there. You may be in the habit of taking a look at the o-ring in a yoke valve face before mounting a yoke reg, and this is little different, except that with a DIN reg and valve the o-ring is in the reg, not the valve.

Not exactly,,, Don't turn/rotate the 1st stage body because it will cause friction and over time damage to the sealing o-ring. Try to turn only the rotating screw knob. This usually isn't a problem when putting it on. But in taking it off and it's tight,,,,many divers will try to rotate the main 1st stage housing to loosen it. That's when DIN Oring damage occurs. Then it's best to use a towel or your gloves for grip on the rotating screw knob.
To expound, rotating the reg-body when the handwheel is is tight(ish) may also loosen the DIN inlet of the reg itself.

Also be sure to turn the valve off and FULLY depressurize the reg before attempting to loosen the handwheel.

If your regs are Scubapro, remove dust cap and toss in spares bin (in case you ever sell 1st Stage). It is not even threaded to be water tight!

Apeks dust caps have an o-ring on it, if you need to change one before a dive because it blew out when assembling.

I don’t know if it is common to all brands to do that.

Screw it until the end but you don’t need to overtighten, that will make it actually much harder to remove it at the end.

You don’t want it looser either or it may unscrew if not pressurised (when you travel or if you happen to do a drill on twinset they may come off too during a valve drill)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom