What regulator do you lust after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to using a supply hose within a corrugated hose and the demand diaphragm in the mouthpiece and then using the corrugated hose for exhaust, well, talk about case fault geometry! It was an interesting foot note to history that found no purchase in the world of scuba.

I assume it free flowed to easy?

Thank you for the enlightenment but being as I am one of they, they knows how they came to have a DD serial Kraken. And an initialed serial Kraken.
Yesssss, I should have known, Nemrod.…Although I am newly acquainted to the VDH crowd, they are a Great Buncha folks I must say. They have all been most welcoming to me, being a newcomer amongst them. I have learned a great deal from them and from folks such as yourself on Scubaboard. I am looking forward to a much awaited trip to Pompano Beach in January with ‘Green Frog’ , if all stacks up the way I want it to. It just feels great to be amongst ALL of you as I learn and do more with my Vintage SCUBA Passion.

Scott G. Bonser

Thank you for the enlightenment but being as I am one of they, they knows how they came to have a DD serial Kraken. And an initialed serial Kraken.
Ahhh, Yes, Nemrod,
i should have known. It would have been Great to have been part of the VDH team at the time, however I was dealing with many challenges of my own. My re-emergence into the world of Vintage SCUBA was an endeavor that has been a great reward to me. First, Dan Barringer, who referred me to Rob of TSM, lots of e-mails, parts purchases and mentoring by you folks has brought me to where I now am. Aug. 26th @ W S Q for Bryan’s Memorial Dive and Heritage Day really brought it ‘Home’ for me. My only regret is that I was unable to spend the 27th, a less crowed day, or so I was told, to get in a dive with Rob and the others I just met. Instead I had to drive back to NC to be at work on Monday. it was my first time and I brought a little of my collection to show. Rob knew it all as much of it I got from him or parts to restore it.

One thing I must say is that every one I met was most cordial and welcoming to me, as I was a complete stranger to their ‘Circle’ . It was great to be ‘accepted’ and considered a Friend. ‘ Cool ‘ people, indeed as Rob told me.

Most Respectfully and Sincerely Yours,
Scott G. Bonser

I like that style of case covers. I have a few g250 but they have the plain black covers.

I hydro-dipped them and then clear coated with a 2K clear. Not difficult and the 2K wears like iron. I think my next one will be green, yellow, red and black tie dye and a 420 leaf purge decal. I will call it the Bob Marley issue or maybe do a Jimmy Buffet issue, yeah, hmmm:

Well, I got my Freedom Plate. I already have the regs I want, Mares MR22 (upgraded to 22X spec) with Proton Ice seconds.

A Teric would be nice, but I can't justify the expenditure at this point.
How do you upgrade it, just get the service kits? I'm a caveman and will have someone smarter than myself do the maintenance/repairs.

How do you upgrade it, just get the service kits? I'm a caveman and will have someone smarter than myself do the maintenance/repairs.
The upgrade from an MR22 to 22X requires replacing the HP seat (aka volcano orifice) and valve (which Mares calls a poppet). Frankly, you could skip replacing the seat, it only saw a minor change that was intended to increase poppet life for those using tanks filled near the reg's 300 bar/4350psi max. If you just want the new poppet, all you need is the current 22X service kit. It contains the latest poppet and extends the service or inspection interval from 1 year to 2 years.

If you want to also replace the seat, you can buy it separately (part #46186216 or 46201541, they appear to be the same thing). There's also an upgrade kit (part #46201386) that contains the poppet, seat and valve spring which you can use with the cheaper MR22 service kit that doesn't have the poppet.

FWIW, the upgrade kit is intended for the V-series first stages such as the V16 and V32 which Mares made in the late '90s and early '00s. These used a different shaped seat and poppet. I don't think they ever sold anything labeled as a V22, but the Ruby first stage is actually a 22 with a poppet that was a variant of the V series and so requires the same upgrade kit.

I hydro-dipped them and then clear coated with a 2K clear. Not difficult and the 2K wears like iron. I think my next one will be green, yellow, red and black tie dye and a 420 leaf purge decal. I will call it the Bob Marley issue or maybe do a Jimmy Buffet issue, yeah, hmmm:

Cool, Nemrod. It also has a great appearance. …. Have you been hangin’ w/Jerrie Struble lately?? He really has some awesome looking and refitted cerakote doubles for sale.

Cool, Nemrod. It also has a great appearance. …. Have you been hangin’ w/Jerrie Struble lately?? He really has some awesome looking and refitted cerakote doubles for sale.

No, I would not do that. Coating over chrome is going to peel and it does. This Navy was stripped and then chromed. It is a Phoenix HPR. I was going to make it a Cyclone but went with the Phoenix nozzle. It does not need to be painted purple or Ceracoated pink.

Moving on. My wife's new 109. White purge cover in silicone from the TSM and white mouthpiece courtesy of Scubapro. So to match her white Scubapro Go-Sports. Trying to move her to Scubapro goodness but she has her fingers wrapped tight around that dang AL legend and keeps trying to confiscate my Titan LX, maybe this will divert her attentions:

Another time capsule I got, NIB from a local store that closed up courtesy of the pandemonium. This was because it had been dropped while showing it to a customer I suppose. The threaded end of the air barrel that mates to the hose was dented and deformed and could not be installed on a hose fitting :( thus sitting in the stock room for like 40+ years. While I was still working, on coffee break (yeah, sure) I made a female section, half section, of tool steel and set it in a press, a very large and powerful press I had access to. I then made another tool to insert inside the damaged air barrel. And then with fingers crossed let the press do what a big press can do and eased it down pushing the deformed section into the die. The soft brass quickly reformed. Perfect.

I love my AL L3gend reg and octo (but I swapped out my L3gend 1st stage for an Atomic after learning about some accidents and construction problems with the AL resulting them failing in the closed position).

I love how the L3gends breathe, easy adjustment, and how tough they are. What I DON'T like is their heavy weight, particularly when traveling.

I like the weight of my wife's B2 regs. If the troubles with AL continue, I may end up moving over to Atomic for the whole shebang.

Back
Top Bottom