Conshelf Service - Recommend a Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys, great information!

Sounds like $130 for service isn't unreasonable, but I'll keep Myles's info for next service.

I do have an IP gauge, this one: Tech Diver IP Gauge - Universal Inflator
I have checked IP but never used it as a diagnostic tool to watch for IP creep. I'll start doing that, and thanks for the tip.

As to why I don't service my own reg as Eric asked, not sure I have the skills to do it myself for the first time.
I do have the Conshelf tech manual, know where to buy the service kit, and have most of the required tools like 1st stage handle, spanners, etc from Scuba Tools. However, I don't want to attempt an overhaul on my main regulator unless someone with experience could monitor my work. There's got to be a learning curve, and I don't want my reg spread out on the bench and find myself needing a tool, part, or skill that I don't presently have. Man's gotta know his limitations.

What I might do in the future is take the HOG service class or experiment with another Conshelf 1st stage that I don't dive with.
I was in the same boat (a little nervous) until one day I got an old Aqualung DA Aquamaster 2 hose. I ordered a kit and since there isn't a dive shop around that would work on them I just did it myself. It worked like a champ. The next one was an old conshelf, probably later 60's, that was free to me. I decided to tear it apart and see what was inside. I was surprised to see how stupid simple these things are. I didn't happen to have a service kit handy to in so I just reassembled it with the same parts, which had no visual wear on them to speak of. I dove it a few times and it worked just like any other reg, no problem. Then I tore down an old Scubapro MK3 which is an even more dirt simple reg, basically one moving part the piston with a grand total of 2 O-rings and a little flat nylon bisquit which is the HP seat. Again, worked like a clock.
Then I got a free Conshelf 21 which takes the exact same parts as the one you have (#900001 kit - same as Titan, Royal Aquamaster, and all Conshelfs, Aqualung did a beautiful job of keeping it simple for so many years with a tried and trued workhorse OS). I decided to get a kit online (northeastscubasupply.com) because this was the reg I always wanted. It was basically the same as the older Conshelf X1 that I have. I just tore it down, soaked it in 1/2 water 1/2 white vinegar then rinsed the parts and fired the new kit in. I just replaced part by part what came out and made notes of the order.
It holds a perfect IP and is my default reg over all my other ones including all my fancy Scubapro's and my Hog. The hog I haven't worked on yet, but from what people tell me it's a no brainer if you have any mechanical ability at all. I run Scubapro 109's on the Conshelf first stage. It doesn't matter what 2nds you use, they don't know what's providing the steady 140 PSI and don't care.

Last edited:
You guys are talking me into it. Guess I'll order the service kit and have a look into my NOS Conshelf xiv 1st stage.

Any opinions about how a HOG D1 compares to a Conshelf 1st stage in ease of servicing?

I would stay with the Conshelf. There is a lot to be be said about having all your regulators use the same parts (and service kits).

The Conshelf has been around since the mid 60's and you will be able to get parts (from a variety of sources) for many more decades into the future. The replaceable parts are still the same that Aqua Lung uses in its newest regulators.

Between Conshelf's and Titan's, I own over a dozen single hose regulators that share the same first stage parts and they are the most reliable regulators I have ever worked on.

They share the same internal first stage parts as the Royal Aqua Master double hose regulator. Therefore, when I designed the Phoenix and now the newest double hose regulator in the market (the Argonaut), I decided to use the same seat and other replaceable parts, for its reliability and longevity of service. When I designed the Argonaut, I wanted to make sure that replacement parts would be around from multiple sources for many decades into the future. The high pressure seat is interchangeable with most of the Aqua Lung regulators, some Mares regulators, and also available as "after market" replacement parts from Trident.

You can buy used Conshelf in many different conditions for about any price yo want. From real nice NIB to real beaters that you can use to learn how to service and play with. They all work the same and the real beaters can be bought for very little coin. They will allow you to get familiar with how they function and once service they will perform as good as the any regulator (make for a nice back-up).

There has only been one Conshelf first stage that I was not able to service because the brass body was damaged beyond repaired. The deformed body is so bad that I can't screw the yoke on it. I have no idea what caused that damage. I got it with a bunch of other used parts.

You can get the service kits specifically for the Conshelf from VintageDoubleHose.com
Shop Online

Or you can also get any individual parts you need from VDH. If you shop in the double hose two stage section you will find all the individual parts for a Royal Aqua Master (they have the exact same first stage).

Last edited:
I will add a couple of things, the single hardest thing to do and get right in the Conshelf is the oring in the balance chamber. It can be a little difficult to remove and replace plus you need to be careful not the scratch the internal area of the chamber. The good news is the part can be replaced fairly inexpensively if you do scratch it. As for special tools, the only one that is "required" is a HP assembly tool. You can get parts back in without one but trust me, it can be a real PITA to do so. I make and sell a version of the HP assembly tool ($15) so getting one is easy, PM me.

Luis, wasn't that a MR12 that you had that was damaged? You sent me one with similar damage.

I agree the old Aqualung regs are work horses. The only thing on the Conshelfs that I have seen to be a big problem is the plugs on the second stages.Over time, the plastic becomes brittle & breaks when trying to remove. Yes,... for the doubters, I have been careful with them, because I know how delicate they can be, & still had them break, trying to loosen it & the O-ring. If the plug breaks, I wish you luck finding a replacement, since Aqualung no longer makes those parts.

I agree the old Aqualung regs are work horses. The only thing on the Conshelfs that I have seen to be a big problem is the plugs on the second stages.Over time, the plastic becomes brittle & breaks when trying to remove. Yes,... for the doubters, I have been careful with them, because I know how delicate they can be, & still had them break, trying to loosen it & the O-ring. If the plug breaks, I wish you luck finding a replacement, since Aqualung no longer makes those parts.

The fix is easy, a standard 1/2 port plug works perfectly but in my personal ones, I made a replacement plug, the advantage of having your own machine shop. :) If there is interest, I would entertain the idea of making a batch of them.

Thanks guys, more great info on the Conshelf.

I have three, my main reg (4 LP ports), a NOS backup (3 LP ports), and a beater (2 LP ports) that I use in the garage. For the garage I connected an LP port to an air compressor regulator so I have an adjustable air source.

Looking at my garage Conshelf, it has two LP ports and the IP adjust is a hex, not slotted like later models. Anyone know what model that is?

Herman, I PMed you about the HP assembly tool. The only other tool I need to buy is a 1-3/8" crowfoot wrench for torqueing the spring retainer.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom