Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like the person who says the government is holding back on the 100MPG carburetor.

Its a conspiracy theory to make you buy something different because all the old technology was too good and people didn't have to replace it. Or maybe better stuff came along and you just failed to catch up with the times.
He only watches news channels that don’t spread fake news

Got my TDI Adv. Nitrox / DP certs in December. Haven't done any tech dives since as I'm still in the process of acquiring a set of tech gear and losing all my money. Perdix and BP/W are on the way and now I'm looking at regulators for a manifolded twinset.

Not to be too broad . . . but are there any particular considerations I should take when looking at which model to buy? I'm aware certain brands will be more / less convenient to service, gotta get cold water regs, etc., so I'm referring to factors specific to doubles. For instance I trained on Tek 3's, which seemed fine to me then some other diver told me how much he hates the routing on those and I should just got a pair of DST's, etc.

I know certain things are obviously preference but if there's anything in particular I should be considerate of, I'd love to know.

So, scubaboard never fails to entertain, right?

I think one of the points being discussed here is din vs. yoke. I personally think din is the way to go. Here are my reasons:

- In my limited use of yoke configured tanks, the number of o-ring issues I've had (and seen) give me the impression that yoke is more susceptible to o-ring related issues. To be fair, I encounter yoke tanks only when on vacation and diving on a cattle boat.
- Reconfiguring a din 1st stage to yoke is as simple as getting an adapter. Most of the boats I've been on on vacation have them on hand and even then, they are relatively inexpensive so you could buy you own if you want. Using din first stages for vacation diving is trivial.
- On the other hand, if you have yoke first stages and you go to cave country, your choices for tank rentals shrink greatly. At least, that was the case about 10 years ago. As examples, Extreme Exposure and Zero Gravity (dive shops in cave country) rent all kinds of tanks with din valves. Same with any other dive shop you find in cave country. Tanks with din valves will be ubiquitous. It's entirely possible they also rent tanks with yoke valves or tanks with thermo valves (din style valve but there is a screw in insert that converts it to yoke) but again, your choices for these will be much less if they are even available at all.
- similarly, if you do get into technical diving in the ocean or any other open water site outside of your home area, tank rentals are again going to be a concern. As an example, I am in California. I did some tech diving in Vancouver Canada. The only doubles I could find for rent were only available in din. Also, if you make acquaintances with other tech divers and arrange to visit and dive with them (and borrow tanks from them), likely, those other tech divers will have din valves.

I personally think you have a lot more flexibility with din 1st stages. When it comes to "what is better", I personally think din 1st stages are better for the reasons that others have stated. Yoke 1st stages, if you look at pictures, you will see, have a knob that protrudes out the back. In open water, the risks this protrusion introduces are mostly negligible. But, the cave divers, and you have a couple of heavy hitters posting in this thread, will tell you that this protrusion adds all kinds of risk for absolutely no benefit in cave diving. I glanced at this thread twice now and honestly, while one person is vocal about yoke 1st stages, I didn't catch what the purported benefits are.

I hope that helps.

It’s not about catching up with the times, it’s about getting stuck in the illusion that only one way works. If din suits use it, If yoke suits use that. It’s up to individual divers to choose what’s right for them and configure their gear to suit. It’s their hobby, their safety and it must be their way. On a side note the idea that changes are made to diving gear to make it better is very innocent, it’s more than likely to make more money. The best of the manufacturers are guilty of it. When scubapro changed the all metal second to plastic it definitely wasn’t to make it better.

I read some of your posts in this thread. I didn't catch why you think yoke 1st stages are better. In the context of the original poster's situation, why is yoke better?

I read some of your posts in this thread. I didn't catch why you think yoke 1st stages are better. In the context of the original poster's situation, why is yoke better?
The op asked what regs he could use with doubles my opinion was (You actually don’t need din unless you’re using 300bar tanks, you don’t need a fifth port, I’ve never used one back mount or side mount and you don’t need a swivel turret it’s actually a weakness.that was my original post ) he doesn’t have to use din he could use yoke, for me yoke is better as I have din and non din tanks. It’s entirely the op choice what gear he wished to use. Din is not the only option yet.

The op asked what regs he could use with doubles my opinion was (You actually don’t need din unless you’re using 300bar tanks, you don’t need a fifth port, I’ve never used one back mount or side mount and you don’t need a swivel turret it’s actually a weakness.that was my original post ) he doesn’t have to use din he could use yoke, for me yoke is better as I have din and non din tanks. It’s entirely the op choice what gear he wished to use. Din is not the only option yet.

I think it goes without saying - the choice is up to each person.

But real question is, what is more advantageous? My read is that you think yoke is more advantageous (better). Am I right? If so, why are yoke better, especially in this case, a diver who is venturing into tech diving?

I think it goes without saying - the choice is up to each person. But real question is, what is more advantageous? My read is that you think yoke is more advantageous (better). Am I right? If so, why are yoke better, especially in this case, a diver who is venturing into tech diving?
I prefer yoke as it suits my diving, I have din and yoke regs, when side mount I sometimes shift the bungee to the yoke knob to tighten the tanks up as I use 7ltr and 12ltr tanks, if I’m diving back mount doubles my main reg is scubapro yoke and backup Poseidon din as my doubles are 12ltr 230 bar faber din/yoke. my deco tanks are 7ltr yoke only so I use atomic yoke reg. my way of diving is there’s always more than one way to do something.

I prefer yoke as it suits my diving, I have din and yoke regs, when side mount I sometimes shift the bungee to the yoke knob to tighten the tanks up as I use 7ltr and 12ltr tanks, if I’m diving back mount doubles my main reg is scubapro yoke and backup Poseidon din as my doubles are 12ltr 230 bar faber din/yoke. my deco tanks are 7ltr yoke only so I use atomic yoke reg. my way of diving is there’s always more than one way to do something.
Fair enough.

For a newish diver eyeing a transition to tech diving, would you agree that din first stages are a better choice for most of the reasons I listed in this post:

Fair enough.

For a newish diver eyeing a transition to tech diving, would you agree that din first stages are a better choice for most of the reasons I listed in this post:
If i was the op id search around for some used gear to suit my diving, yoke or din wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me unless i planned on using 300bar tanks. plenty used gear for a fraction of the cost of new.

If i was the op id search around for some used gear to suit my diving, yoke or din wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me unless i planned on using 300bar tanks. plenty used gear for a fraction of the cost of new.
Except you’re among the only people on the planet using yoke for “technical” diving…

I dive HOG's because they won't break the bank, are a proven design, and you can buy the kits and learn to service them yourself.
Deep Six is also an option but for manifolded doubles, HOG D1s and Classic seconds. Hands down. I dived them for years before switching to D3s when I broke all my doubles down and went sidemount.

Assuming you dive dry, you could have all that in HOG gear for $834 with D3 1st and Classic 2nds. That would work for Sidemount.

If I could do it all over again, I would go with Hogs as they are cheaper of the three.

Definitely considering the D3 / Zenith doubles package for $825. House routing on the D3 is solid even without the bottom port?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom