Considering a move to Marathon, Seeking Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure you have your math correct? Be sure that you are not confused and mistakenly doubling your income. Three hours sounds like a two-tank (two dive) trip. I think the normal Keys excursion is a single trip with two dives. Paying you $50 plus tips PER TRIP is much more plausible than taking two one-dive trips at $50 plus tips each.

I'm not totally sure about the Keys, but single-tank (single dive) trips are usually only when the boat dock is a very short distance to the dive site (boat fuel is expensive). Otherwise, two-tank (two dive) trips are the norm for most operations.

Anyway, if you are correct, I've done some figuring for you. Assuming you complete all the training in 1 year:

Est Cut-Rate fees for training and minimal necessary gear.
OW$210
AOW$160
Nitrox$175
Rescue$375
Dive Master$695
Scuba Gear$1,200
Total Gear and Training
$2,815

Budget, assuming income of $100 per day, 5 days/week, 52 weeks/year
Yearly
Monthly
Income
Taxes-4331-361
Rent-9000-750
Cell Phone-600-50
Groceries-4392-366
Internet-480-40
Electricity-1800-150
Gas-1200-100
Gear and Training-2815-235
Remaining Income

So, that leaves $115, plus whatever your fiance earns, for other expenses and stuff.

If you are wrong, and it is $50 per TRIP, cut the income in half, for a yearly shortfall of $11618 ($968 per month). Your fiance's job would have to cover that shortfall.

If you develop web pages for people, you must have some level of skill and intelligence, and the ability to investigate more. I'm in favor of following your dreams and taking action, especially when young and unencumbered. However, I'm also in favor of knowing what you are getting into.

As an example, Rainbow Reef is a popular dive operation and has received awards from PADI for professional diver development. You can glean lots of info from their INTERNSHIP program, to compare and contrast your situation: PADI IDC Center Florida Keys. Scuba Dive Instructor training at Rainbow Reef Professional Scuba Instructor Development and Career Center;scuba diving:diving, scuba, Key Largo, PADI, IDC, dive professional

I would suggest putting together a plan that includes:

1. Get Open Water certification in your current location, just to be sure you even like or can dive. What if you have ear problems and don't know it? What if you like the idea of diving, but actually hate it.
  2. Research and contact ALL dive operations in the keys and ask questions about work and training and pay and living and all that.
  3. Search for a job for your fiance in the same locations. Just because there are jobs in one town (i.e. Key West), doesn't mean there are jobs for her near your job.
  4. Save up some cash for moving expenses (first/last/deposits/fees/emergencies).
  5. Visit the Keys and explore. Visit some of the finalists from your list in step 2.

If the guy you've already talked to is willing to take you on, sight unseen, without an interview or anything, he is probably doing it frequently for many people, and will have spots all the time. I doubt it is take-it-or-loose-it type of situation.

Best wishes and good luck.

You guys are all awesome! Thanks and thanks again for all of your advice!
That is a good idea calling the other dive ops in the area to see what they have to say or if they have a better option. Whether I go with this particular dive charter makes no difference, I feel as though all signs have pointed to this for a while.

As far as my experience with Florida and the Keys goes, I wasn't born there, but I was raised there. Stepping out of the car into a brick wall of heat is actually something I miss/log for lol....I don't even use the car AC up here on hot days lol...I absolutely love Florida. I can count the times I've been to the Keys on one hand, so you're right I have no clue what life is like down there..I think I'm up for finding out though, if for no other reason than to avoid any regrets. Each visit though, I've felt as though I shouldn't be leaving....that ride back to the mainland gives me a gut wrenching feeling every time.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to do the OW course up here before jumping into this. I would hate to make a huge move like this and end up having some kind of weird health issue that kills it before it even begins. At the same time, I do have the urge to just make the leap of faith...we both do. I've been in the water many many times, snorkeling mostly, so I know I can be in 10-15 ft of water without issue. I absolutely love the serenity of being surrounded by water, curious fish swimming by, checking you out...if I do start a dive career I can't imagine a better spot than doing dive tours of all the amazing underwater sites the keys has to offer.

I have a few marketable skills, I can repair computers/laptops (replace pretty much any part), build computers, as well as tune ups and virus/malware removal. I can also fix any model iPhone version 4 and up, as well as some Samsung phones. And of corse the already mentioned web development knowledge. I realize I'll need a job while in training and something to supplement my income. With 700k+ tourists yearly, surely a few here and there will break their phones.

It is apparent that I have a lot to think about.

Also I'm not limited to just working for them. Especially once I complete the certification, would not a whole new realm of opportunities open up to me? Or is there less of a demand for professional divers than I've been lead to believe?

If you read some of the threads on the forum about making a living as an instructor, I think you'll see it's not lucrative. And you're talking about an area that's probably pretty flooded with people pursuing the same sort of thing you are, with dive operations cranking out lots of dive masters & instructors I'd suspect.

Got a feeling that demand you're talking about is going to be limited.

...although she has expressed that she isn't all that fond of the "normal life" as defined by society. Working part time to pay the bills and have some play money (even though it doesn't cost much to go to the beach!), spending more time enjoying life rather than working til you're 65 (when you don't even know if you'll last that long) to finally enjoy life seems great to us both.

She'll probably get fonder once she has a kid. If you want to work part time & enjoy life, all the more reason you'd better have a high paying job. Looking at average life expectancies, odds are at least one of you will live well past 65. And will need to eat well post 65.

There's more to life than paying rent on an efficiency apartment, gas & cheap junk food. Health insurance, kids, there is so much more that's going to come up.

I started to say 'It's your life,' but then I realized it's your future kid(s)' life(lives), your girl friend's life, etc...

Oh, and read some of the threads by people talking about moving to Florida (not just the Keys). Can be an eye opener. You may find out Florida, but not the Keys, is what you need.

Richard.

Bravo! You now have balance.

I'm not sure what is happening around the Keys for phone/tablet repairs, but I could see you building a business around that. What about a mobile-repair-service? Stock up on popular spare parts. Make some business cards and pass them out to all the locals that work with tourists. I would pay double to fix my phone if broken on vacation.

Kyle,
I wish you the best of luck on this. I would strongly suggest getting your OW and AOW just like everyone else has said before making the move. Also if you currently have skills doing websites I assume if you decide to make this move you could still keep that job as long as you had internet access right?

Maybe you can barter a deal with a dive shop to redo the website to get your OW and AOW before you make the move? If you look at most of their websites they are very poorly done. It might be worth a try.

Oh, and read some of the threads by people talking about moving to Florida (not just the Keys). Can be an eye opener. You may find out Florida, but not the Keys, is what you need.

I think you may be right.

Bravo! You now have balance.

I'm not sure what is happening around the Keys for phone/tablet repairs, but I could see you building a business around that. What about a mobile-repair-service? Stock up on popular spare parts. Make some business cards and pass them out to all the locals that work with tourists. I would pay double to fix my phone if broken on vacation.

This is actually a really exciting idea! I may have to work up a business plan. The popular phones can usually be repaired in an hour or less, provided all the parts required are readily available. It would take a decent investment but could be quite lucrative. If I take it up, you're getting free phone repairs in the Keys for life :wink:

Kyle,
I wish you the best of luck on this. I would strongly suggest getting your OW and AOW just like everyone else has said before making the move. Also if you currently have skills doing websites I assume if you decide to make this move you could still keep that job as long as you had internet access right?
Maybe you can barter a deal with a dive shop to redo the website to get your OW and AOW before you make the move? If you look at most of their websites they are very poorly done. It might be worth a try.
Thanks, I was thinking about this. I actually ran that by the captain I spoke with and he seemed open to the idea of having his website updated. After checking out other websites in the area I think this is definitely a viable idea not only to trade for training fees but as an income on the side as I'm sure word gets around quick down there.

I did a little looking around and found this: Long Lake Scuba Inc. | 3160 Long R. Lima, OH, 45807 so I gave them a call. Their pricing is $80 for the educational packet, $320 for the scheduled class or $450 for a private class.One week, Monday through Saturday 6-10:30, which works out for me as I get off at 5:30. I will get my OW in a dark quarry, I think that should do the trick in telling me if it's something I am medically capable of doing, and will actually enjoy as much as I think. If so, I'll go from there getting what certifications I can. I think that is the smart way to go about it rather than diving (no pun intended) into something I know very little about.

I will get my OW in a dark quarry, I think that should do the trick in telling me if it's something I am medically capable of doing, and will actually enjoy as much as I think.

It'll give you a bit of experience diving, but it will not show you the practical reality of having to deal with divers in a teaching role. Or dealing with a shop you work under that compromises how you want to do things for their business reasons (e.g.: don't tick off the paying customers). The responsibility & liability involved.

I'm not a dive pro. & don't hold any professional credentials. If you do a forum search for threads where people look at becoming instructors, you may find the reality falls far short of the dream. Hear it from the people who do hold those credentials. And to work in the industry, it's my understanding you'd need to shoot for instructor, not stop at Dive Master.

I suspect there are many endeavors that make great hobbies but often lousy jobs.

Richard.

It'll give you a bit of experience diving, but it will not show you the practical reality of having to deal with divers in a teaching role. Or dealing with a shop you work under that compromises how you want to do things for their business reasons (e.g.: don't tick off the paying customers). The responsibility & liability involved.

I'm not a dive pro. & don't hold any professional credentials. If you do a forum search for threads where people look at becoming instructors, you may find the reality falls far short of the dream. Hear it from the people who do hold those credentials. And to work in the industry, it's my understanding you'd need to shoot for instructor, not stop at Dive Master.

I suspect there are many endeavors that make great hobbies but often lousy jobs.

Richard.

I've snapped back to reality a bit and decided to take it one step at a time, rather than just jumping into something I know nothing about. Instead, I am going to learn everything I can about diving (especially in the Keys), and get my certifications gradually. I created a blog so that I can put everything I learn (dive sites, charters, shops, etc in the keys) into one spot. If you'd like to check it out the link is in my profile. I'm going to document my journey towards the dive life, and once I start diving I'll get an underwater camera and use it for photo essays of the various dive sites I visit. I intend on, eventually, visiting every known dive site in the Keys at least once.

I'm 100% sure I want to scuba dive even with never having done it before.
I'm also 100% sure I still want to live in the Keys for at least a year or two of my life. There's not really anything that I'd miss about mainland life, I'll make friends with like-minded locals, or just the fish and the pelicans :) I've always had a softer spot for wildlife than people anyway :p

Thanks again for everyone's advice, you've helped me to go about this little dream of mine in a more intelligent manner.

The thing is, I live in Ohio currently. Born here, moved to Florida when I was 4, grew up in the Sunshine State and then moved back here at 16 to spend some time with family. I am now 26 and yearning to get back in the water. I love sea life and I have always loved snorkeling, but also always wanted to take it to the next level.

I can count the times I've been to the Keys on one hand, so you're right I have no clue what life is like down there..

I intend on, eventually, visiting every known dive site in the Keys at least once.

I'm also 100% sure I still want to live in the Keys for at least a year or two of my life.

A little follow up & discussion may be worthwhile. Ironically, I'm sort of your opposite; I was born in Florida (Pensacola), but raised elsewhere. Great place to visit, though. What part(s) of Florida have you lived in/spent much time in?

I ask because many people who love Florida don't live in the Keys, and Florida offers a much broader range of diving than just the Keys. I don't know in what time frame you hope to knock out every Keys dive site, but you could get 'stuck in a rut' diving only in the Keys for a long time. I've been diving about 9 years and faced the 'can't go everywhere, so where to next?' question like you will. A few thoughts from me:

1.) You might find a mix of factors (e.g.: cost of living) make living within driving distance (maybe 3 hours?) of a place more practical than living in it.

2.) Seems the upper keys are most popular for diving; I hit Key Largo 2 years back with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (my trip report). You can bang out 4 dives/day! Very nice.

3.) Up north, Jupiter offers a very different diving experience (my trip report from last year). I'd recommend a new diver cut his teeth on Key Largo 1st. Jupiter offers more big animals, deeper diving that's drift diving, lower viz. & less coral (& flatter terrain) than I recall from Key Largo. Apples & oranges; it's not which is better, do both. You'll also see fans for West Palm Beach and Boynton Beach, and from what I read the Blue Heron Bridge is distinctive.

4.) Here's a thread on Distinctive Caribbean & FL Dive Destinations, that compares & contrasts some Florida diving options. But be mindful the Gulf Coast of FL is a lot different from the east coast.

5.) Diversify your dive experience by trying different destinations. Bit of a hypocrite on that; I've been to Bonaire 8 times, though had a friend living on island for awhile which played a role. But Bonaire (abundant shore diving), Cozumel (great viz., varied topography, drift diving) & some other places are worth your time. (Here's a Bonaire trip report; you can find scads on Bonaire & Cozumel). But what about deep wreck diving out of North Carolina with sand tiger sharks (which I hope to do soon) & perhaps the Channel Islands of California (which I hope to do someday)?

6.) Do a live-aboard at least once in your life. I did Belize on the Sun Dancer 2, but you might want Blackbeard's, AquaCat, etc... Here's a thread on picking a Caribbean live-aboard.

My point with all this is, while Florida is great (& there are plenty of places there I haven't been & hope to hit someday, or hit again), the scuba hobby will open up a range of opportunities for you. I think you'll love diving the Keys, but there's a lot more to enjoy.

Richard.

P.S.: Wonder if we're about due for someone to post that Indonesia & the Philippines diving blows the Caribbean region out of the water? I've never been that far afield, but you might someday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom