Considering BP/wings setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled©©©
©©©the AL backplate is a real bargain, like $45 bare ¥list price¤ and probably under $100 with a DIR harness©©©

I think the best deal on Al backplates is probably AUL© I believe they sell an Al plate w/harness and hardware for $70, though I don't think they include a crotch strap© They also sell FredT's stainless plates/STAs/etc©

Chris

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Actually I was overstating the case of imbalance... I do not do dives that require stages. The AL40 deco bottles we use present no real imbalance problem. If my wing were to fail and I needed to use the suit for buoyancy there would be no problem. If I were diving steel stages this would not be the case... but then I wouldn't be diving steel stages :D

As for the next question... no the AL plate is not ditchable weight... my suggestion was to reduce the negative buoyancy of the rig as much as possible so that some ditchable weight might be carried. I am only speaking from what I have heard and what makes sense to me in this regard... I only dive cold water, drysuit and steel tanks.

PUG, i like to pick your brain, so here goes

why have ditchable weight?

so you can make an uncontrolled boyant ascent to the surface.
it seems that it would be more appropriate to use a proper bladder.

capable of providing the lift required

fairbanksdiver once bubbled...
Too bad only the first couple were relevant.
You gotta understand about Scuba Board Threads:
See... threads have a way of wandering around looking for a place to settle down into a nice argument about DIR.... and I don't think this thread is really done even yet Brandon... but I am glad to hear that you thought my initial post was relevant.... seeing as how it was in the first couple :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You gotta understand about Scuba Board Threads:
See... threads have a way of wandering around looking for a place to settle down into a nice argument about DIR.... and I don't think this thread is really done even yet Brandon... but I am glad to hear that you thought my initial post was relevant.... seeing as how it was in the first couple :D

So Pug, I'm curious. We dive in similar conditions (although it's a tiny bit colder up here). I imagine that I'll be using alum 80s for a while, but will probally purchase steel tanks of my own eventually. The cold water makes diving dry a necessity, not an option.

We already determined that the Pioneer was the best choice. Clearly, the 27lb wing is out, but do I take the 36lb, or go for the 45?

Brandon.

Headed down to Valdez in November, wooOOO!

fairbanksdiver once bubbled...
We already determined that the Pioneer was the best choice. Clearly, the 27lb wing is out, but do I take the 36lb, or go for the 45?
If weight integrated with ACBs, other weight pockets and/or a P-weight then you will want the 36# or 45# so that you can float the rig with a full steel tank.

If you are diving with a weightbelt then you could get by with a 27#, especially if diving with single AL80s.

I dive a 27# wing with a PST LP104, 6# SS backplate, 12# weightbelt and drysuit. (I actually vary the weightbelt from 10# to 14# depending on what I am doing.)

I would suggest that you go with 36# as most folks appreciate the additional lift at the surface.

AquaTec once bubbled...

PUG, i like to pick your brain, so here goes

why have ditchable weight?

so you can make an uncontrolled boyant ascent to the surface.
it seems that it would be more appropriate to use a proper bladder.

capable of providing the lift required

PUG
Not an attempt to move this to an anti DIR thread, just wondering if you could answer the question previously posted.

I didn't even know that DIR required ditchable weights. It just seems that everybody today is trying to get rid of their weight belt.

AquaTec once bubbled...

PUG
Not an attempt to move this to an anti DIR thread, just wondering if you could answer the question previously posted.

I didn't even know that DIR required ditchable weights. It just seems that everybody today is trying to get rid of their weight belt.
Why have ditchable weight?
Ditchable weight is for the surface.

So you can make an uncontrolled boyant ascent to the surface?
Obivously not... or at least it should be obvious but isn't to some folks so good point in bringing it up.

Better to use a proper bladder?
Yes of course

DIR require ditchable weights?
No... I am not the spokesman for what is or isn't DIR

Everybody get rid of the weight belt?
I'm not clear if there is a question here and if so exactly what it is.

Ditchable weights for the surface. I love the idea, I would like to loose about 100 lbs of gear when i hit the surface. I tend to use sherpas lately, that has been good.

Uncontroled boyant ascent; I missunderstood the thinking behind this. I assumed that you ment to ditch underwater incase of some emergency. a bad idea

Better to use a proper bladder?
This to offset uncontorled descents to the abyss

DIR require ditchable weights?
"I am not the spokesman for what is or isn't DIR"
COME ON REALLY!!!

Everybody get rid of the weight belt?
Not a question, just a point regarding the ditchable weight issue, which I now understand your meanning

I will say I do like your new question and answer format, you have steered this board in a better direction than when i was here last in the spriing. GOOD JOB. even if i don't always agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom