Considering internship IDC course based around Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a side note just before I received the other posts today my local dive center sent me a mail about PADI Go-Pro and how there is a big demand for instructors overseas. Oh the dive irony!

There is a demand for 'good' instructors, however the PADI employment board is also flooded with instructors seeking employment- supply outweighs demand, but the challenge is sorting the wheat from the chaff.

There is a demand for 'good' instructors...

I kinda disagree. The greatest demand is for 'cheap' instructors... those willing to work for free, or a peanut salary. Demand for any attributes other than that is very location specific.

Given the choice (and it normally is a choice, because most 'good' instructors are usually not willing to be 'cheap' instructors), many dive ops will go for the eager, novice instructor who'll work for little cost, just to gain "experience".

The Maldives would, I assume, be a little different - very remote location means considerable investment in getting staff and difficulties replacing them if they prove to be unsuitable. There's more emphasis on recruiting and selection. I believe Werner Lau, for instance, used to demand a minimum of 500 certs/2000+ dives, along with 2-3 fluent languages as a minimum prerequisite for application.

I think we could say 'proven' rather than 'good' are the attributes most valued in those circumstances. Either way, it rules out 99.9% of newly qualified instructors..

That is not the case in more accessible locations...and those with multiple 'sausage factory' IDCs churning out hundreds of zero-to-hero instructors per year.... such as Thailand, Mexico or Honduras.

Language skills are the second biggest demand, I think. Again, that is especially true for remote locations, where a diverse nationality range of customers is the norm... but a limited amount of dive staff can be employed. Dive centers want maximum 'bang for buck'... with the smallest pool of instructor staff covering the widest spectrum of languages in demand. I knew a newly qualified Swiss instructor.. zero post-IDC experience... was snatched up to work in the Maldives... he spoke 6 languages. In more accessible locations, with a big instructor pool, language is not such an issue - freelancers can be brought in to run specific courses that existing staff may not be able to cover. Cheap still rules the priorities there.

The only definition of 'good' that I saw applied consistently in Koh Tao was an instructor's 'con-ed rate'. Some (the bigger) dive centers actually set minimum con-ed rates for their instructors. Hit big figures and you'll be valued. Fail to achieve targets and you're out the door.

At no time did I notice breadth of experience, quality of instruction or teaching ability noticeable as prime factors for employment in Thailand.

The basic situation remains... a newly qualified instructor has to invariably endure a lengthy period of 'work for peanuts' before they accumulate sufficient experience to be competitive for employment in those locations that have greater cause to value quality staff. The vast majority of instructors don't survive that 'trial' period - savings expire or they get disillusioned working endless, intensive OW courses for little personal reward and a border-line poverty existence.

Things that help an instructor survive their 'trial' years:

1) Vast quantities of savings, to allow a decent lifestyle irregardless of income for several years.
2) A genuine and resolved passion for scuba diving, that surmounts the considerable sacrifices that need to be endured.
3) Elite sales skills.
4) A second job or alternative income source.

Things that help an instructor skip/shorten those 'trial' years:

1) Fluency in multiple languages.
2) A good friend/network to assure work in a desirable place where they will be valued (despite inexperience).

Last edited:
I kinda disagree. The greatest demand is for 'cheap' instructors... those willing to work for free, or a peanut salary. Demand for any attributes other than that is very location specific.

Given the choice (and it normally is a choice, because most 'good' instructors are usually not willing to be 'cheap' instructors), many dive ops will go for the eager, novice instructor who'll work for little cost, just to gain "experience".

Some DC's will go for cheap and inexperienced, some won't, but I do agree there is demand for good instructors ion many places.

Wasn't your Thailand experience mainly on the Gulf Islands?

Hi there,

I am a PADI Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver. I live in Dublin, Ireland as a tour guide with Guinness. I have spent 7 years in the job but I am now considering moving on to greener pastures. I really enjoy diving but hardly ever get the chance to go unless pool sessions as I work most weekends and study part time. I want to take a break from Ireland and travel a bit as I have never been further than Egypt or the States.

I was recently looking up Divemaster/IDC internships in Thailand. A lot of the searches were coming back with Koh Tao being the best place to go. I have researched many of the dive centres and will be looking to get in contact to look at certain infrmation (e.g. cost, accommodation, food etc). There is a lot I would have to consider as I would be giving up a great job here and would think of the possibility of staying in the dive industry and teaching.

Can anyone in some shape or form point me in the right direction? Maybe top 5 dive centres to take course with or is there options besides Koh Tao? I want to get this right if I am to do this. It might not happen for another while but to start getting up and running would be great.

Any advice would be great. Cheers.

If your going to Thailand why not look at getting multi-agency certification. I know some out there do either PADI or SSI and they are also BSAC Thailand, so for an extra 2-3 days you get a BSAC Open Water Instructor certification. See BSAC Thailand our franchised operation.

Kind regards

Languages are definitely a pre-requisite for the Maldives for a number of reasons, but mainly due to the fact that there is limited bed space on the islands (shared accom is the norm) and that we're legally employed with working permits.

Working (il)legally is something that hasn't been adressed yet but is often the case- personally I was illegally working in 5 out of 7 countries.

If your going to Thailand why not look at getting multi-agency certification. I know some out there do either PADI or SSI and they are also BSAC Thailand, so for an extra 2-3 days you get a BSAC Open Water Instructor certification. See BSAC Thailand our franchised operation.

Kind regards
Not a bad idea if working in the UK.

If working anywhere else in the world this won't be of any help at all.

Not a bad idea if working in the UK.

If working anywhere else in the world this won't be of any help at all.

We have a number of franchises, Thailand is just one. We also have BSAC Centres aroind the world including the US - so its of use in more places than just the UK. In fact more so as most UK based BSAC training is done in clubs.

We have a number of franchises, Thailand is just one. We also have BSAC Centres aroind the world including the US - so its of use in more places than just the UK. In fact more so as most UK based BSAC training is done in clubs.
But the BSAC centers abroad don't teach BSAC, just as the CMAS centers here don't teach CMAS courses. They also offer PADI or SSI, and 99.9% of their courses are PADI or SSI.

If an instructor wants to make a living out of diving the commercial associations are the way to go.

But the BSAC centers abroad don't teach BSAC, just as the CMAS centers here don't teach CMAS courses. They also offer PADI or SSI, and 99.9% of their courses are PADI or SSI.

If an instructor wants to make a living out of diving the commercial associations are the way to go.

It sounds like someone has sold you a good story, because we get quite a good income from course materials sold through both the franchises and Centres. We also have BSAC Resorts whom are not authorised to sell our products. Are you confusing these with BSAC Centres?

And what makes you think BSAC Centres aren't commercial? There in business to make money just like a PADI/SSI/etc business.

Yes, there are some who use our brand to get punters through the door, then sell someone else’s product. We filter them out by not renewing their licence the following year.

On Phuket is one BSAC Center on the list, last year there were 3. And those 3 BSAC Centers taught no more than 3 BSAC courses in the last 3 years. SSI, PADI, yes.

And that is the last about this, this subtopic is not worth it, as long as the OP remembers that to make a living out of diving SSI and especially PADI are the ones to teach.

And to prevent any misunderstandings: I have nothing against BSAC, CMAS, etc.

Back
Top Bottom