Considering Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys! The LDS where I received my open water cert is a SDI agency, which relies on the computer, not the tables. I am not sure if it is the same for the nitrox cert, I will have to see about that. However, I am sure it would be extrremely beneficial to be able to use the tables.

Thanks guys! I am still trying to recover my bank account from purchasing my gear.:shocked2: I wanted to know what I was getting myself into if I decided to get nitrox certified.

If you want to be able to do more dives in a given period, it's worth it, otherwise it's not.

I usually do 6 days of 2-3 tank dives.

A common belief. However, it's a controversial one. There are also lots of people who believe it's mostly a placebo effect. The small number of limited scientific studies seem to lean towards the latter, with the real effect on comfort being either small or imaginary.

The only real and proven benefit is a lower rate of nitrogen on-gassing, whether you use this as a longer NDL or increased safety margin. Note that while theoretically safer, the common opinion from dive safety researchers is that the accident rate is already low enough that any improvement from using Nitrox has not been statistically obvious enough to actually measure (i.e. lost in the noise), so it hasn't been 'proven' that it really is safer, only that it's theoretically so.

You may also want to have a look at this somewhat noisy thread. Deals mainly with the latter, but it at least touches on other issues too.

Thanks for posting the link to the other thread. It made me realize that I forgot to mention(duh!) that on my last dive trip, I had to be treated for DCS. :shakehead: I definately don't want THAT to happen again. My understanding is that it would be more beneficial to dive nitrox as air, instead of diving nitrox as nitrox to err on the side of safety.

Last edited:
Based on your added posts I strongly suggest following through with the nitrox cert. Based on your diving (six days of 2-3 tanks per day), coupled with a possible pre-disposition for DCS/DCI (provided you were within limits when you suffered DCS symptoms), nitrox sounds like a worthy investiment in your safety.

Steve

Its worth it, especially given the profile above - its also worth it for many other reasons, safety being one of them.

I think NITROX makes you less tired, but many would disagree, and they could be correct.

What I can tell you is yesterday, my dive time was 45 min's vs the air divers 25, for the same profile. Almost twice the bottom time -

Down here is S. FL, you can get NITROX Cert. for $120 - 230, depending on the shop, et al. Its not expensive.

In fact "Divers Direct" had a deal for $99 plus book(s) - so it was $120 or so - you do everything on line, as dives are not necessary to get the certification.

Go on line and see if they are still offing this course, b/c its really worthwhile to have this.

As others have posted, a NITROX computer, and some O2 cleaned tanks, and you are in business.

I dive alot, or I did, and when I did my first Nitrox dive I did notice less fatigue after the dives.

There is one piece of equipment that you do need to upgrade if you want to get a Nitrox certification -

That would be one's thought processor, be prepared to apply yourself to the concepts because it is one of the few certifications that require the canidate to think about the theory of what is going on physiologically and chemically. There is no hands on to the introduction of Nitrox diving.

I would reccomend the ANDI manual and the NOAA manual section on Nitrox as additional study material. There is nore information there than any basic Nitrox certification course will cover.

The "refreshing" thing is controversial. I don't feel it a lot, but I accept that many people do. If you accept that tiredness is caused by microbubbles, then it makes sense that it should.

If you find yourself at the NDLs with plenty of air left, that is the time to move over to Nitrox. This is most likely to happen when you are doing 3+ dives a day, particularly on consecutive days.

When diving on cattle boats, be wary of paying Nitrox surcharges without checking that they will let you stay down for the longers NDLs. Some operators (I name no names) are known to order everyone back to the surface at the same time for their own convenience, having taken your money for the Nitrox.

"When diving on cattle boats, be wary of paying Nitrox surcharges without checking that they will let you stay down for the longers NDLs."

Boy, this is a new one and I though I'd heard it all - done a lot of diving in the carib and never once has this come up.

Perhaps its unique to the BVI?

In Jupiter and Miami, where I do most of my local diving, they look at you a little funny if you don't have NITROX cert. - but they don't charge you more b/c you might stay at depth longer.

Regardless, I think that really SUCKS - just another way to suck money out of you - gotta be a "tourist" type, cater to the cruse ship crowd, operation - or maybe not - I just think it goes beyond the pale...... and to pay for extra time (again, really lousy business practice) and then not get it - I can't use the words on a family board!

Name names if you want; I can't believe any diver would find this practice acceptable.

(And yes, I'm hijacking this thread - but you started it!!)

Nitrox will reduce your nitrogen loading, but probably more important than changing your gas may be changing your ascent strategy. (This will also very likely make you feel better after your dives, too.) There are a variety of ways of slowing one's ascent, ranging from a 2 or 3 minute stop at half your maximum depth and another stop at ten or fifteen feet, to the DIR minimum deco, which is slowing to a 10 fpm ascent rate from half your maximal depth. Many divers don't realize just how slow 30 fpm, or 10 fpm actually IS, and many also do their 15 foot safety stop and then just pop to the surface. All ascents need to be at a controlled rate, and in the shallowest water, that is most true, because the proportional pressure changes are greatest there.

So, if you are doing a multi-dive/multi-day trip, changing to Nitrox AND changing your ascent strategy should result in lower risk and less fatigue.

Thanks for posting the link to the other thread. It made me realize that I forgot to mention(duh!) that on my last dive trip, I had to be treated for DCS. :shakehead: I definately don't want THAT to happen again. My understanding is that it would be more beneficial to dive nitrox as air, instead of diving nitrox as nitrox to err on the side of safety.

Based on that, yes, the Nitrox cert would definately be worth it. You might also want to see if your medical insurance will cover a test to see if you have a PFO, which is a condition in which your heart, under heavy strain like the valsalva, will shunt blood (and bubbles) from the right side of the heart directly to the left side bypassing the natural filtering action on the lungs. Although we only see PFO's in 20% of the general population, 80% of those who have experienced type 1 DCS have one. It pre-disposes you to DCS. If it turns out you do have a PFO, Nitrox may not make a difference.

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom