Console mounted - old school vs new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndreShoumatoff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

I recently purchased a nearly new but ten year old complete dive setup that is all "high end" Scubapro gear. It came with a three port console - one for the pressure gauge; one for the old-school (seeming) Aladin Prime computer by Uwatic that has excellent reviews here on scubapro but from 10+ years ago; and a compass.

I'm most excited about the imacculste knighthawk bcd and the fancy regulator setup, but that is another conversation. I am having everything serviced and am fairly sure will all work great (bcd, gauges etc).

I pulled the counter tonight as I need to replace the battery. I hate old clunky usability - for example I hate my old school Garmin GPS units but have forced myself to use them. The screen on this Aladin is like a Casio watch rather than an lcd screen. I probably sound like a millennial. I sort of am. I also get discounts on Suunto gear so I could replace it for $200-300. I'm unsure if there is much difference in the dive computer setups from 10 years ago vs today's console mounts, other than an lcd screen and hopefully better usability? My preferred budget is limited.

What would you do?

Choice 1 - just use the old dive computer (assuming it works 100%) and just get used to it?

Choice 2 - get a new dive computer to put in the console. If so, which one for best usability?

Or choice 3 - get a wrist mounted computer and out something else in there (if so - what?) Or leave it blank.

All ears on your thoughts. Thx!

Photo

Attachments

• 1126192248.jpg
    1126192248.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 75
Kill the console! Kill the console!

:D

They’re clunky, bulky, and way too many people let them dangle all over the place. Danglies are very, very bad. :wink:

If the PDC works, maybe see if you can find a generic wrist mount for it?

@AndreShoumatoff nothing except the high end computers are going to be any better in terms of user interface than that. If you stay with Suunto, which I would recommend against for a myriad of reasons, you are limited to the Eon's and D5, so you are spending real money to get a UI improvement. If you are a smart watch guy though, the Garmin Descent is an option worth looking at.

I wouldn't replace with a puck computer though. I have no particular aversion to consoles IF they're used in a clean and streamlined manner. The only way to do that is with a backplate and wing where you put a bolt snap on the end of the console and cross clip it to your right shoulder. We teach students to use them that way as well as encourage them that when renting gear after class that they bring the clips with them to put onto rented gear.

Ultimately I say suck it up for right now and go with option 1 for a season then figure out what you really want. Option 3 is where you should end up if you decide that upgrading your computer is something you want to do.

I was thinking since I posted this of two options.

1) throw down for a very fancy computer with wireless integration and get rid of the console all together. I would lose the compass but a fancy computer would have that too.

Or 2 - more likely I think - that I would scoop up a small i300c AquaLung unit with the Bluetooth app, and (try to?) stick it in this console. The UI of the unit may not be much better but the reviews say "very easy to use - very inituative and simple." All I care about is that it's simple but that I can get the data later and won't be stuck having to use the unit only to understand it all. Since I have the console / gauge anyway, and I want a compass and don't want two bulky wrist items (don't want a wrist mounted compass and computer), I was planning on sticking to a console anyway at least for now. I'll use the compass probably the least though. I'm pretty sure a A300i will for into the console. So that would be a cheaper sub $300 fix. I know how to manage a console so it's not too clunky. That is what that auto retracting leash is for - to auto retract to your body. Not much better but not horrible. I haven't tried that yet but I like the idea rather than tucking it in my bcd.

I also like not looking at the computer to much or dicking with it because it's too fancy. I just want to know depth and time and SI info when on the surface. And mess with the real details on my phone via the app. So that's sorta where I'm at...

All ears, again.

In my opinion, you probably want an analog SPG as backup for your dive computer even if you have an air integrated computer. You may as well have a console at that point. It might be worth keeping the old computer in the console as a backup (assuming it does nitrox). I'm sure the wreck divers hate it, but I have a little spring retractor on my console that I find keeps it reasonable snugged in while still being readable.

My operating procedure would be to try it he way it was designed then make improvements. If the computer works, run it till it dosen't, or until you have a good reason to move to anorher with distinct advantages. I have found it amusing that divers with different gear and different configurations are all completely convinced that their rig is the best, without trying anything else. The power of marketing.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom