• Console style

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Wrist Mount

Votes: 157 74.4%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 11 5.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought I'd toss in my thoughts. I got a cobra and I do love it. Then I got a mosquito as a backup. Turns out that I can take a quick glance at the mosquito very easily and I have begun using it as my primary ref. Still have to check the cobra for air, but like was said above, you get used to estimating. I look at my mosquito easily 5 times for every check of the cobra.

I've dived with both console-mounted and wrist-mounted computers. I *far* prefer the wrist mount. The advantages of wrist-mounted gauges has been well-discussed elsewhere; I'll just at that out of the water, it's far more convenient to work with your computer if it's NOT attached to your regulator!

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
I'm going to call this poll before it even gets too far...

the wrist mount wins!!!!

by a landslide!!!

YEUP!!!!!

I have a Suunto Vyper (non-air integrated) in a console. But I'm thinking of pulling the computer out and making it a wrist mount.

I got it in the console cause I wanted to protect the computer. I always have it retractored close to my body so it's not bottom-rock-banging. One of my main concerns was being able to tuck the entire console into my BC for those rough surf rocky exit days, when someone as small as me gets rather banged around.

But issues with task loading has made me consider pulling the computer out of the console and put it on my wrist. I'm still a novice and have done very few straight line assents (without an assent line). I found recently that the combination of reeling in the dive float, holding *someone elses* catch bag, and trying to monitor my depth/ascent rate with a console mounted computer was task loading me. I ended up ascending too fast once - not dangerous fast - cause I was not beating my bubbles, but enough to piss off my computer.

My only reserves about putting the computer on my wrist are the rocky entry/exit problem and how to lobster without killing the wrist-mount.

-mer

I've had both consol and wrist and greatly prefer wrist mounting. It’s way easier to just glance down at your right wrist while swimming along.

Also, if you’ve ever tried to help a buddy who lost their mask and/or is OOA, you simply don't have the time or hands to reach down and look at a consol.

~<//><

Although I use a wrist mount computer and SPG, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. However, keep the console small, just a SPG and computer or AI computer but no compass. Pricing is also a bit lower a console. That is a SPG and computer in a console will cost a bit less than buying the two separately with a wrist mount for the computer. A hose mounted AI computer will cost much less than a wireless wrist mounted one.

For years I dove with a console. In 99 I upgraded my console to a Suunto Viper, compass and SPG. Was totally happy until folks on this board convinced my to try something different. Mounted the Viper on my right wrist thus freeing my left hand to work the BC. This does wonders to control bouyancy during safety stops. Put the compass on my left wrist. Took the SPG out of the console and mounted it to my BC where when moving horizontally through the water, all I have to do is glance down and I can read it. I don't have to pull it out from a retractor. In short, should have done this years ago.
Just returned from a dive trip to St Maarten and Saba. This configuration simplified everything. But, everybody else was diving a console. But, everybody else was hugging the anchor line to maintain control at the safety stops. Tropigal and I just hung there taking a look at our gauges when required.

At 130 fsw, all gauges were easy to constantly check without expending any effort. Made the dive worry free.

the only reason I still use a console is the lobster factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom